Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Question for those of you who replaced you running boards with sliders...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for those of you who replaced you running boards with sliders...

I am contemplating getting sliders put on, but I am hesitant. I do not wheel that much and the little amount I do go probably does not warrant sliders, but it would be nice for a little added security.

Some reasons I am hesitant are:

1. Does a lot of debri and rocks get thrown up at the door panels? The factory running boards block pretty much all of it, and I don't want my door panels to have a lot of rock chips. Also, I have a set of LX450 wheels waiting to be mounted so it seems the wider stance would increase the chance of this happening.

2. I actually use my running boards and so do my passengers to get in and out, are sliders functional as far as that goes?

I like the factory running boards for those reasons, if anyone could give some insight on their experiences that'd be great. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:26 AM

I have removed my running boards in preparation to get sliders in the future. I think it looks much better with the running boards off and the extra clearance is great. I have not noticed any increase in the number of chips on my lower panels since the running boards have been removed, however the doors do get much more dirty now. One thing you may want to consider in conjunction with the sliders is will you be wanting a body lift any time in the future. If you do plan on getting a body lift, i would do that first and then the sliders, in order to prevent having to hack the sliders off and re weld them on to fit more tightly with the body lift. I say go for it!
Joe
Old 02-13-2007, 09:32 AM

Heres what I think in address to your concerns. I removed my running boards because my tires were chewing them up. I had sliders made and welded on, the width of the sliders is even to the average tire that I use. For instance when the tires started eating the running boards I was running 285/75/16 Interco SSR's, I then added 1" hub adapter spacers and sold the SSR's and replaced them with 285 MT's. I run 285 AT's on the road and the MT's are for the offroad trips. So as far as how similar our tire stances and widths are I believe they are similar. I dont have any problems with the tires throwing anything up at the truck. Where your passengers are concerned, I have my tubes angled up and my passengers do complain a bit when entering the rear. If I did it again I would opt not to angle the bars up.

Aaron
Old 02-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by xcmountain80
Heres what I think in address to your concerns. I removed my running boards because my tires were chewing them up. I had sliders made and welded on, the width of the sliders is even to the average tire that I use. For instance when the tires started eating the running boards I was running 285/75/16 Interco SSR's, I then added 1" hub adapter spacers and sold the SSR's and replaced them with 285 MT's. I run 285 AT's on the road and the MT's are for the offroad trips. So as far as how similar our tire stances and widths are I believe they are similar. I dont have any problems with the tires throwing anything up at the truck. Where your passengers are concerned, I have my tubes angled up and my passengers do complain a bit when entering the rear. If I did it again I would opt not to angle the bars up.

Aaron
Thanks for the advice so far guys, what angle did you get?
Old 02-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

running boards are one time use sliders :-)

I'm running bentup.com's square tube sliders. they work great as a step and I haven't noticed too much crap getting flung up by my tires (and they protrude about 1.5" out of the fenders).

Some pics:

Old 02-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i want to get a set of sliders just to laugh when someone slams there door into it at the store
Old 02-13-2007, 10:03 AM

I dont remember the angle but I say go flat as in straight out, They would be more passenger friendly, and might offer more protection if they stuck out a bit more. I know for sure they help the evil doors from dinging me in the parking lot, also might help in a side impact or maybe not!

Aaron
Old 02-13-2007, 10:03 AM

Ohhhh those are nice

Aaron

Originally Posted by jsnby
running boards are one time use sliders :-)

I'm running bentup.com's square tube sliders. they work great as a step and I haven't noticed too much crap getting flung up by my tires (and they protrude about 1.5" out of the fenders).

Some pics:

Old 02-13-2007, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rock chips are the one downside of rock sliders. I had zero rock chips at the time I removed the running boards. I will take a pic of what my rock sliders and door panels look like after just one year. It's pretty bad.

People are going to laugh at me for this, but I don't care--I will be heading to Death Valley this March with some temporary rubber installed in the openings of the rock sliders. We will cover 150-200 miles on graveled roads and this is where most of my rock chips came from. Last year I got probably 75 paint chips in 5 days. I am hoping to reduce this with the rubber inserts this year.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

sliders wont block whatever the tires will be spitting out. and if you've got the LC's on..it'll be even worse as they stick out a bit more and are also wider. you can put something in the holes between the slider bars...but if you say yourself that you dont wheel it anywhere near big rocks where you'd need that protection, keep your running boards on. it doesnt look that bad, esp if you've got LC wheels n bigger rubber on.

Last edited by d0ubledown; 02-13-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:29 AM

I took my running boards off and my doors got trashed. The paint looks like garbage from all the scratches and whatnot.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by UNR.Grad
I am contemplating getting sliders put on, but I am hesitant. I do not wheel that much and the little amount I do go probably does not warrant sliders, but it would be nice for a little added security.

Some reasons I am hesitant are:

1. Does a lot of debri and rocks get thrown up at the door panels? The factory running boards block pretty much all of it, and I don't want my door panels to have a lot of rock chips. Also, I have a set of LX450 wheels waiting to be mounted so it seems the wider stance would increase the chance of this happening.

2. I actually use my running boards and so do my passengers to get in and out, are sliders functional as far as that goes?

I like the factory running boards for those reasons, if anyone could give some insight on their experiences that'd be great. Thanks.
1. Running boards are for street queens and do offer better rock chip protection obviously since sliders have a hole in them. Get a set of mudflaps and this will help if you go to sliders.

2. Sliders at a 15 degree cant are perfect for this.

Sliders look a lot better than running boards...even on a street ride.

Last edited by rworegon; 11-23-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Banned

Dont forget they protect you if you are lifted and some idiot trys to swing his door into your ride.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

I got a bunch of door mark paint scratches on my sliders.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You can always put some Tacoma mud flaps on.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Paul H.
You can always put some Tacoma mud flaps on.
Never heard of that, do you have any links to old info on it?
Old 02-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

Jason Demello did a custom pair of sliders that used parts from the limited running boards. Appears stock but with all the protection, next time I see the 4Runner I'll take some pictures....
Old 02-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I find my sliders very useful as a step, never had running boards to compare with, but they are very functional for getting in and out of the rig, cleaning the windshield or sunroof, or getting gear in and out of the back while camping. Just make sure the sliders project far enough to get a foot on them and square tubing is better than round for standing on:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...derZ.shtml#T4R
Old 02-13-2007, 04:32 PM

Tim, I took my running boards off a long time ago after they became "one time use sliders". Trashed one side badly (anybody wanna buy a good passenger side board?!). Toyota makes an extension for the stock fender flares for removing the running boards. It drops down to form a mud flap, both front and rear. I've got those and they have done a pretty darn good job of protecting my paint. I have a few chips, but nothing noticeable. I've seen the flare extensions on some Highlanders without running boards, so they must make them for your paintable flares, as well. Just check with your dealer. That's what I did and how I discovered they offered them. They weren't that expensive, if I recall correctly. Been a few years, though.

I would love to have a set of sliders, even though I don't off road heavily, so that is probably my next big purchase. They just look cool and I like the functionality that Roger mentioned, too. Not sure if he makes those, but the ones in his pic look great! Rockyroad.com makes some that look similar and are reasonably priced.

Last edited by SteveD0603; 02-13-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:48 PM

I buy some spray mud and spray it on my truck and cruise teh mall and the ihops
I got lights on my running boards
chicks dig it man

Quick Reply: Question for those of you who replaced you running boards with sliders...