Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

question about installing spool in front diff.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about installing spool in front diff.

its my understanding that a spool is full time locked... with that understanding, if I were to install a spool in my front diff. would it remain fully locked all the time or only when I engaged four wheel drive? I have a 97 4Runner stock.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My understanding is the only way you can get away with a spool in the front is if you have manual hubs. But your front drive line will still be turning all of the time and may cause vibration.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:15 PM

I would say that that is a bad idea. from all I have heard, spooling, welding, or putting an auto locker in the front is not profitable. It causes both the wheels to turn at the same speed all the time. your turning radius will be greatly increased on a surface with good traction, and nonexistent on anything remotely slippery. If you want to lock the front, I would say put a selectable locker on it.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:40 PM

Here is a link to a diagram of your front differential with ADD. http://ncttora.com/fsm/1996/SIL/tech...a/fdc/comp.pdf
I can not tell if the ADD disconnects one or both axle shafts.

For front differentials a selectable locker is the way to go.
Personally with that front end I would shy away from a locker in the front.
In my opinion the 7.5" differential is not strong enough to justify the cost of installing a expensive selectable locker.

Do you have a locker in the rear differential? If not I would start by putting one there first.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Enjoy the awesome driving characteristics of a fully locked front end...Do you enjoy going a direction do you don't want to go? Fully locked fronts tend to pull straight when you try to turn.
Spools are attractive from the price...if I were to do it again, I would do SELECTIVE up front
Old 09-05-2010, 06:34 AM

Now back to the question. Yes you can install a spool in the front diff. When in 2wd the ADD disconnects the right half and the two wheels will spin independently. You won't know that it is there. In 4wd the front will be locked and very hard to turn. You will not be able to drive on roads in 4wd at much speed. Some people have a spool and manual hubs. That way they can lock one hub, leave one unlocked and go into 4wd and be able to turn and drive on road in 4wd.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:35 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
You don't want a spool in an ADD truck. You don't even want a lockright in there.
Theres bad juju since a spool will make the front driveshaft spin even though your only in 2WD.

I run lockrights front and rear (have manual hubs on my Tacoma) and don't have a problem steering on the trail. Sure it pulls but the power steering over comes. Don't let the web wheelers who have never had a front locker make you think you'll only be able to go in a straight line with a front non-selectable locker.

The only way to go in your case is an ARB front, Sorry. For that matter.. do you have a rear locker? You'd be better off starting there if you don't.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Spools go in the rear of a trail only truck. Never in the front IMO.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scuba
You don't want a spool in an ADD truck. You don't even want a lockright in there.
Theres bad juju since a spool will make the front driveshaft spin even though your only in 2WD.

I run lockrights front and rear (have manual hubs on my Tacoma) and don't have a problem steering on the trail. Sure it pulls but the power steering over comes. Don't let the web wheelers who have never had a front locker make you think you'll only be able to go in a straight line with a front non-selectable locker.

The only way to go in your case is an ARB front, Sorry. For that matter.. do you have a rear locker? You'd be better off starting there if you don't.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Banned

i dont have any lockers yet. i was really just curious about it. just sitting around and it came to mind thats all. thanks for all the replies though.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by scuba

agree 1000%
Old 09-11-2010, 05:39 AM
Banned

as i was saying... i have no lockers at all. just stock front and rear... i was just curious about this subject. i so bad want an ARB locker for both front and rear but I cannot afford an 800+ mod to my 4Runner for just ONE diff.
WHAT DOES ADD STAND FOR?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:36 AM

Automatic Disconnecting Differential.
Means your CV shafts spin while normal daily driving in 2wd.

Think about getting a non selectable in the rear. Such as a lockright or an Aussie locker. You can install those with little more then common hand tools yourself.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Banned

how effective is this aussie locker compared to a selectable?
Old 09-11-2010, 09:37 AM

100% effective. Just like an arb (when the arb doesn't have an air leak keeping it from functioning properly )

Old 09-11-2010, 10:19 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I've wheeled a Detroit EZ locker and now an Aussie in the front. Aussie is much better. It still is hard to turn when pressure is on the axle, think going down hill on a windy mountain trail. The Aussie is much more turning friendly.

Had a rear Locrite for years. After 3-4yrs on a DD weekend trail warrior it is a refreshing change to now have a rear ARB.

It is my personal opinion that the rear locker plays more of a part in the poor turning radius when in mud or slick goo.

I would spool/weld the rear of a rig that ever touched the street. I would never spool/weld the front of any rig. Just my $0.02
Old 09-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Banned

lockright or spartan??? which is stronger, better over all?
Old 09-12-2010, 02:00 PM

Warning, auto lockers take some time getting used to them especially in the slick stuff (rain or snow). Some people hate them some have zero issues with them.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:39 AM

well always had open diffs wheeling.Iwill be buying an 88 4runner and the first thing im doing is buying a spool i jus dont like wat ive heard bout auto lockers some times they engage sometimes they dont and especially the sound imo for 800 you could probably go with wat im doin winch bumper , winch, spool like i heard in another post the lockers are jus gonna get more stuck than before thats why the winch i like to explore and there jus have been those times a winch is a necessity over a locker to me removing logs out of the way you never know wat your gonna ruun across wheeling lol