The quest for a 4x4 has started...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 12:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The quest for a 4x4 has started...

Yes, you've heard me right.
I'm looking

Now I'm looking for a VERY specific truck so hopefully something will come through. I decided to try the Monkeynuts method of e-mailing dealerships and making very sure to include, "the question is not IF I'm buying this truck, but WHERE."

So now I shall wait to hear back and consider my options in the meantime. Like I mentioned, I'm looking for something specific so if worse comes to worse and it doesn't exist then I'll keep my truck and be happy

What am I looking for? Good question

2002-2004 Tacoma Doublecab 4x4 with the SR5 and power package. Preferrably with TRD including the rear locking differential. In Imperial Jade, of course

So nothing is for sure just yet. I'm not planning on buying a truck immediately. I'm hoping to get multiple replies. If I get none, I'm still stuck with an awesome truck so it's a win-kinda win situation
Old 02-17-2004, 02:27 AM
Contributing Member

I just saw that exact truck at my local dealership last Monday. I was there picking up my wife's new '04 Taco D-Cab (Radiant Red, 4x4, SR5, E-Locker).
Old 02-17-2004, 02:45 AM
Contributing Member

:cry:
You're too far away!!!
Old 02-17-2004, 08:57 AM

I went through this ordeal just months ago looking for my 04 Limited Tacoma d-cab. I did the email method and it seemed to work great! (ww.fool.com has a great writeup on how to buy a new car). I ended up paying $23,900+Tax for mine. The key is to take your time and don't jump at the first good price that comes along. Hold out, make them work for your business.

I started out looking for used ones, but the prices were just outragous. Some cases the use car prices were more then what I bought mine for new.

Last edited by miked; 02-17-2004 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might have to book a flight soon! Here's a nationwide search from Autotrader, where sellers usually have inflated opinions of their vehicles worth.

See the one at John & Phil's in Corvallis, OR? I can't believe they omitted a photo, but if you decide on it, let me know. It's about a two hour drive South from the airport down I-5 and would give you a head start in the right direction. I'd be glad to meet you at the airport and drive you there, no problemo. I can also vouch for them as an honest broker. They've been there for years and are a President's Award dealership. Southwest flies into PDX for around $59+ tax. Let me know soon, though, I'm traveling later this month.

Good Hunting!
Old 02-17-2004, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BT17R
You might have to book a flight soon! Here's a nationwide search from Autotrader, where sellers usually have inflated opinions of their vehicles worth.

See the one at John & Phil's in Corvallis, OR? I can't believe they omitted a photo, but if you decide on it, let me know. It's about a two hour drive South from the airport down I-5 and would give you a head start in the right direction. I'd be glad to meet you at the airport and drive you there, no problemo. I can also vouch for them as an honest broker. They've been there for years and are a President's Award dealership. Southwest flies into PDX for around $59+ tax. Let me know soon, though, I'm traveling later this month.

Good Hunting!
Dang Bob, you have been absolutely indispensible with all your help!!!
I may actually have to take you up on that. I got back something like 6 replies most of them stating that they'd have to check their stock, Longo stating that they had one but didn't give me all the details, and yet another saying that a state-wide search came empty.

One dealer did mention this option though:
Peter,
I did a search of southern california, but could not find that vehicle anywhere. We can preference the vehicle from Toyota if you like. Typically, when we preference a vehicle it takes 6-8 weeks to arrive (approximately).
Of course, we can always go with other options or colors. Let me know which way you'd like to go.
Hmmmmm decisions, decisions...
Old 02-17-2004, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

Did you get a chance to call on this one in Flagstaff? It sounds close to what you're looking for at a much lower price than the one at J&P's. Another plus, it's certified, so you wouldn't have pre-purchase inspection worries. Often you'll find a competing dealership make will sell for less than a Toyota dealership will. They obviously like it, putting it up on a lift at the best visibility point on the lot.

Last edited by BT17R; 02-17-2004 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

Side question, but how can a Ford dealership certify a Toyota?
Old 02-17-2004, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

Probably a dual-line or sister store to a Toyota store.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TDiddy
Side question, but how can a Ford dealership certify a Toyota?
Tom,

They can't. Good eye!

Peter:
The whole "Certified" label has been abused in my opinion. beware of private sellers who claim "Certified". The main benefits of Certification is the extended warranty and that the vehicle has been inspected by the dealership according to the company's "certified" standards.

Now the caveat: some dealerships are better than others when it comes to adhering to the standards of their certified programs. PM me when you get a chance.

Bob
Old 02-17-2004, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by miked
I went through this ordeal just months ago looking for my 04 Limited Tacoma d-cab. I did the email method and it seemed to work great! (ww.fool.com has a great writeup on how to buy a new car). I ended up paying $23,900+Tax for mine. The key is to take your time and don't jump at the first good price that comes along. Hold out, make them work for your business.

I started out looking for used ones, but the prices were just outragous. Some cases the use car prices were more then what I bought mine for new.
$23,900 is a pretty good price. I thought they went for around 28K new.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by SLC Punk
Yup, MSRP was $28,185. Got them down to $25,500 - $500 rebate - $1,000 presidents day sale, - $100 referal bonus (my father)

I shouldn't say that I got them down to $25,500. Their initial email bid was $25,000 after the $500 rebate.

Last edited by miked; 02-17-2004 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by SLC Punk
For a bunch less than that you could buy the 44Runner
Old 02-17-2004, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 44Runner
For a bunch less than that you could buy the 44Runner
I thought the going rate was 2.5 million??
Old 02-17-2004, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

There you go Peter, no need to screw around with IFS any longer!
Old 02-17-2004, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
Tom,

They can't. Good eye!

Peter:
The whole "Certified" label has been abused in my opinion. beware of private sellers who claim "Certified". The main benefits of Certification is the extended warranty and that the vehicle has been inspected by the dealership according to the company's "certified" standards.

Now the caveat: some dealerships are better than others when it comes to adhering to the standards of their certified programs. PM me when you get a chance.

Bob
Whatever Bob says about certified is THE FINAL WORD. It could very well be an independent cert and Babbitt may not be connected with Toyota at all. So Bob, must a Toyota Certified vehicle only be sold through a Toyota dealership, or could it be sold on another lot under the same ownership as the Toyota deal (not counting bending the rules).

But, it shows they have confidence enough in it's condition to go the extra step that they might not for their other used inventory. I like that it's displayed on the point, too. Dealers selling competing makes love putting their main competition there. It has a subliminal effect on new vehicle buyers (they think) to believe someone traded in a ___________ on a new __________, so their new vehicle MUST be better, right? Of course, you'll need to overlook that lots of point vehicles were purchased at auction just for that purpose.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BT17R
Whatever Bob says about certified is THE FINAL WORD. It could very well be an independent cert and Babbitt may not be connected with Toyota at all. So Bob, must a Toyota Certified vehicle only be sold through a Toyota dealership, or could it be sold on another lot under the same ownership as the Toyota deal (not counting bending the rules).
Peter and Bob,

Yes, only Toyota can officially certify a Toyota vehicle and call it a "Toyota Certified". Now that is not to say that another mfg's dealership can't apply their certification process on another mfg's brand vehicle. So then the question is "Do you want to buy (trust) a Ford certification on a Toyota vehicle?" I think the answer is clear to most people.

Mostly, its the warranty issue that I'd worry about. This Ford dealership would probably purchase some third party extended warranty that may:

a) only be honored at their dealership
b) not be honored at a Toyota dealership (or any for that matter)
c) may only cover certain components over a shorter period of time

Nevertheless if you're interested, look at it and if it meets your standards, by all means, purchase it. My only concern is that they may overcharge you for a "certification" that may or may not be worth the paper that its written on.

Bob
Old 02-17-2004, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Isnt the Certification transferable? Ive run into several vehicles that are Toyota Certified but are a couple years into the certified waranty. You may have found a truck that was Certified by toyota...bought, then sold. If the Certification is transferable...no problem. Just make sure you know how much of it is left.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

Interesting... maybe I should look into preferencing a vehicle then? Hmmmmmm...
Old 02-17-2004, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by PoBoy
I thought the going rate was 2.5 million??
It was until I have come to a point where I actually might have to sell it. Now the going rate is a little less at $22k. First to say they want it and they can get the money is first in line...

Quick Reply: The quest for a 4x4 has started...