Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Pioneer 4100 HU Installed with Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pioneer 4100 HU Installed with Cameras

Finally getting around to posting photos of my latest HU install I did about 3 months back…no real wiring photos, just photos of the final result. Big Thanks to IH8Mud forum member - 98 Snake Eater, for all his help guiding me through this install!

Opted for the Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD Unit. Paid $399 + shipping. Also purchased the Ipod cable and a couple cameras off ebay.

Before:

After:

Radio Source selected (BTW, that's a photo of my son I uploaded for my background):

Of course you can hide the icons too:

Mounted the ipod here (notice the notch I added in the tray so the cable would not interfere with the top closing):

View of the ipod screen:

Shot of the DVD in action:

And of course I add the "Relay Mod" to allow DVDs to play while the vehicle is moving. . Special thanks to GeoffSFAs10 (a forum member of NASIOC) for creating this mod (sorry, no pics of the wiring itself):

On a standard universal relay, you have 4 numbered tabs. On prong 87 and 86, attach a ground wire. Send these 2 wires to ANY ground. Prong 85 gets a tap from the remote wire coming off the Pioneer unit (you typically use this wire for your amp turn on). Take the parking brake wire and tap it into prong 30. After your relay is wired properly, stick it in the far back corner of your dash where you don’t have to see or touch it and enjoy DVD playback in any gear! It works because the remote signal trips the relay, the double grounds trip the relay back and thus pulses the parking brake wire tricking the vehicle into thinking the parking brake is on. Now when you select the source mode for DVD, a blue screen is first displayed and then you just hit the OK button to start watching the movie.

Baby Cam mounted. No need to hard mount this camera as sometimes we move his car seat from side to side. This is a "Normal View" camera with Night Vision I purchased off ebay for about $20.00:

Wiring was run as so:

Again, I sometimes have to move the camera from side to side, so I made sure I had plenty of slack in the wiring:

Rear View Cam mounted. It's a "Reverse View" camera with Night Vision I also purchased off ebay for about $20.00. It’s not hard mounted b/c I’m still trying a few different locations for it:

To switch between cameras, here’s what I refer to as my own version of BMW's idrive :

It’s a 2-Pole, 6-Position Rotary Switch I picked up at my local Radio Shack (Model: 275-1386). I cut the shaft down a bit and mounted a black knob on it (I picked up the black know at RS too...just had to paint the center of the knob black as it comes silver). Here’s a stock photo of it:

Mounted:

The white line pointing straight up in the 12 o’clock position is OFF. Turn the dial to 1 o’clock and the rear view cam is activated. Turn the dial to 2 o’clock and the baby cam is activated. All the needed wiring has been run for 2 more cameras at positions 3 and 4, but they are not currently installed…still considering where I want to mount them. One will go under the vehicle, just not sure about the last one. This switch can handle a total of 6 cameras, but 4 are plenty for me.

One more shot for good measure:

Here's a diagram of how I wired the cameras to the switch. I ran the switch thru a relay, so in the event I leave a camera on when I turn the vehicle off, the camera itself will turn off too. Again, I have already run the wiring for 2 more cameras, just trying to find a place to mount them first:

Oh and the way this Pioneer unit is wired, the power antenna will NOT automatically go down when switching between sources. It will only go down if you physically turn the unit off. Of course to get the antenna to go up at all, you have to wire the power antenna wire from the stock harness, to the amp turn-on wire on the pioneer harness (this is even how it’s said to be done in the pioneer installation manual.)

I greatly miss this auto up/down feature for the antenna on our stock HUs. However, to combat this w/ the pioneer, I installed a switch to manually make the antenna go up or down at my choosing. I simply spliced into the power antenna wire and ran both wires thru a simple on/off switch. Works great. Found a use for that pointless pocket under the cigarette lighter and mounted the switch there:

UPDATE: My new HU is now dimming when my tranny is in DRIVE & my Field Monitor's display is ON. Truly mind boggling. Check it out here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/f...-other-193601/

Last edited by Rock Slide; 08-21-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you never cease to amaze me, if i wasn't starting the rear bumper build i'd be getting that head unit for sure, as always great writeup!
Old 10-03-2009, 10:38 AM

Man, just let me be the first to say that is extremely nice. Thanks for the pics too btw. But you seem to have done everything very nice.

I will be doing a HU upgrade similar to that soon cause I need a backup cam to for parallel parking lol.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:31 PM

nice i have that exact same headunit and i love it
i got the rear view camera also mounted in the same place
had this unit for couple months now and never had problems with it ever since.
although one quesiton i wanted to ask
for your photo what size and resolution did you use? idk if its because of your camera but the picture quality looks really good. i mean mines isnt to bad but i feel likeyours seems to have better color ahha
thanks
Old 10-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys.

Weston, wait until you see what I've got planned for my TJM...paying WabFab a visit next weekend to have some simple, yet clean mods done to my bumper. We've only been trying to hook up for about 6 months now.

awpsome, the video looks ever better than the above photos look. I just took those photos w/ a simple point and shoot 6mp camera set at 3mp. Nothing special. I did tweak the video quality thru the HU settings too..it helped a little. Then again, I didn't expect HD quality from these $20 cameras, so for what they can do, I'm satisfied. The night vision works great for seeing the baby at night.

Maybe one day I'll upgrade to a more expensive cam for the rearview cam. When sunlight hits mine directly, the video produces an odd infrared looking image.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I can't wait the tear up...I mean play with those new cameras.

Looking good as always Bill.

Pictures don't do Bill's truck justice...cleanest I have ever seen.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
do you have a roll bar in the back?..what are those big black bars in the pics??????
Old 10-05-2009, 10:45 PM

what brand are the floor mats?
Old 10-06-2009, 04:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I can't wait the tear up...I mean play with those new cameras.

Looking good as always Bill.

Pictures don't do Bill's truck justice...cleanest I have ever seen.

Thanks. Still got room to mount 2 more cameras somewhere.

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
do you have a roll bar in the back?..what are those big black bars in the pics??????
Have you been living under a rock or what? Kidding, yes, it's a roll bar. One from a 1st gen 4Runner. Click the link in my sig for more photos and a link to the write up of the install.

Originally Posted by Sea.Jay
what brand are the floor mats?
You too Sea.Jay...click the link in my sig for more info. I did a comparison thread between weathertech, husky & oem rubber mats. You'll see why I chose weathertech.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:30 AM

nice install rock slide, ya i need to get this done bc i have a 2 month old and its so hard to see wat shes doing and i wanted a backup cam so i will def be using this for a reference.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks. Only thing I wish I would have done instead, was install it sooner! I did not get around to purchasing & installing everything until my little boy was 4 months old. He's a little over 7 months old now.

The night vision part of the baby cam works great too for seeing him in pitch black darkness. Def well worth it.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

The stock CD/cassette/AM/FM stereo has a diversity antenna setup that uses both the normal-sized front fender antenna jack and the smaller-sized rear window antenna jack. However, aftermarket stereos only accept the normal-sized front fender antenna jack. I installed my new Pioneer 4100 as such and noticed a decrease in reception quality. To defeat this and turn both front antenna and rear diversity antenna into one big antenna, here’s what I used:

1. METRA 40-UV43 Motorola Antenna Y-adapter = $9.06 from Amazon ($3.58 + $5.48 shipping)
2. Scosche Mda-B Micro/Delco = $4.95 from Amazon (free shipping)

The Y-adapter has 2 normal-sized female jacks going to 1 normal-sized male jack:

The Scosche Mda-B adapter converts the smaller rear antenna jack into a normal sized antenna jack:

Stock 2 antenna jacks:

Plug the rear antenna jack into the Scosche adapter:

Plug the Scosche adapter into one of the Y-cable’s female jacks. Plug the front fender antenna jack into the other Y-cable female jack:

No photo, but to finish, just plug the Y-adapter's male jack into the back of your stereo.

The Metra 40-GM10 GM Antenna Adapter is another adapter that works just as good as the Scoshe adapter, but it’s more expensive and roughly 10” long. It was on Amazon for $11.77. I bought it to try it out, but since the Scosche adapter works just as well, I’ve since returned this one:

Now I can flip my antenna switch to lower the power antenna and still get good stereo reception since the rear glass antenna is now active

Last edited by Rock Slide; 08-21-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
stunning-really helpful. very specific that is what I like. appreciate that.

thanks for those radio antenna adapter part numbers- I want to be ready when I have my stuff all pulled out.

okay so you use the idrive imitation to select the camera -it is always "hot" then right? not tied into reverse in any way correct?
Old 10-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
stunning-really helpful. very specific that is what I like. appreciate that.

thanks for those radio antenna adapter part numbers- I want to be ready when I have my stuff all pulled out.

okay so you use the idrive imitation to select the camera -it is always "hot" then right? not tied into reverse in any way correct?
Thanks!

Correct, the cameras are not tied into reverse in any way. When the idrive switch is pointed straight up to 12 o'clock, it is in the OFF position. Turn the switch one click to the right and the back up cam activates. Another click to the right and the baby cam is activated. So technically, the switch is always hot when the ignition is on. The cameras are not on until I turn the switch to the appropriate channel.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:17 PM

wow rock slide that was some good info on the rear antenna terminal. i had no idea about wat that was, i assumed it was just the AM channels but now that u have givn insight on this ill have to do this for sure but was wondering if u got the pioneer on ebay? i was looking for an alpine bc i love that brand but they are so expensive compared to the pioneer...
Old 10-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Having the rear antenna hooked up really does increase reception for both FM & AM. I can actually leave my power antenna down and still get good reception w/ the rear now functioning.

I purchased this pioneer here for only $399: http://www.artofsale.net/Magento/ind...hp4100dvd.html. Although, now I see that it's since gone up $10 to $409. Still a great deal. Crutchfield for example, wants over $500 for it.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 10-10-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:35 PM

ya i have the taco whip but im sure itll help with reception bc when its cloudy or like something in the way i start to get static... Ill be doing this prob really soon.

Thnx for the link, ya ill prob have to wait a little while to get that since its such a large chunk of change. My lift has put a big hole in my pocket and there are so many things i still wanna do.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:07 PM

Thumbs up

Looks great

Love the baby cam
Old 02-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by LK1
Thanks for the link. Are your cameras weatherproof? Where did you get them? I really want a back up camera.

Also, if I'm only hooking up one camera, will it plug directly into the 4100?

One more question. Where is/ where did you tap the parking brake wire that triggers the video relay?
Don't know if they're waterproof or not...but I can tell you that I've not had a single problem w/ my rear view cam. Granted, when it rains, water beads up on the outside of lense and blurrs the image. Other than that, no problem.

FWIW, here's one like mine on ebay right now - Item # 390147307401. These cameras are not the best out there, so don't expect HD like quality...but they get the job done. Plus, for that price so what if it fails. Just get another one. Just note that you can buy "reverse view" and "normal view" cameras. Get a reverse view model if you plan on using it for backing up. It will display the image correct on your screen just as though you're looking in the review mirror.

Pioneer also makes a camera specifically for the 4100...but it's pricey; just shy of $200: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-ND-BC2...4&sr=8-2-fkmr0.

If you're only hooking up one camera, it should plug directly in the back IIRC.

My parking brake wire is hooked to a relay for the relay mod. As in so:

And of course I add the "Relay Mod" to allow DVDs to play while the vehicle is moving. . Special thanks to GeoffSFAs10 (a forum member of NASIOC) for creating this mod (sorry, no pics of the wiring itself):

On a standard universal relay, you have 4 numbered tabs. On prong 87 and 86, attach a ground wire. Send these 2 wires to ANY ground. Prong 85 gets a tap from the remote wire coming off the Pioneer unit (you typically use this wire for your amp turn on). Take the parking brake wire and tap it into prong 30. After your relay is wired properly, stick it in the far back corner of your dash where you don’t have to see or touch it and enjoy DVD playback in any gear! It works because the remote signal trips the relay, the double grounds trip the relay back and thus pulses the parking brake wire tricking the vehicle into thinking the parking brake is on. Now when you select the source mode for DVD, a blue screen is first displayed and then you just hit the OK button to start watching the movie.

Also, my cameras are not tied into Reverse in any way. This allows for full operation of my cameras in any drive gear.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 02-17-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:34 PM
LK1

Thanks for all the answers. The only thing I'm not clear on is where I find/tap the parking brake wire. I know it is connected to the relay, where do I find the wire itself to tap?

Quick Reply: Pioneer 4100 HU Installed with Cameras