Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Opinions on Roof Rack Baskets

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinions on Roof Rack Baskets

I am looking into purchasing a roof rack basket to replace my factory roof rack. I like the ARB racks but I would like some feedback from other people as to the strengths and weaknesses of rack baskets that they are using or have used in the past. I am particularly interested in finding a rack basket that fits into the factory rails that are already installed without having to make any major modifications. Thanking everyone in advance who responds.

Echo
Old 11-05-2002, 10:48 AM

Echo,

I bought a Yakima system a few years back with towers that easily mounted (locked) onto the existing 4Runner roof rails. I have 4' round poles that go across each pair of towers.

I used to have ski racks on it which I changed out for bike racks in the summer here.

Last year I bought a Load Warrior basket for it and love it. I've loaded it up with hundreds of pounds of stuff and it has worked great, including the spider net that goes over it. If you wanted bigger I think they sold a Mega Warrior which was huge.

I put the bike rack or ski racks on top of it now when I need them and just leave the basket on all the time. The only thing I'm considering is an extension kit for it that adds about 1-2' length on top.

Hope this helps.
CB
Old 11-05-2002, 10:53 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hello Echo.
Plug in Load Warrior in the search engine here, and you should get some hits on it.

You should see Toddski's old '97 4Runner he use to have with a Load Warrior on top hooked right to the factory roof rails.
It looks great, and it sits low.

I have a Load Warrior also, but mine is mounted on Yakima crossbars and Q Clips, so it sits higher.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:02 AM

All I have to say is Get a WARN Basket They are tough and they have sick light mounts they are the perfect roof rack in my opinion
WARN WARN
I put a Yamaha Grizzly on mine before with no problems and it had oversized tires a lift full racks and a winch front and back
not the lightest object

Last edited by Twisted4runner; 11-05-2002 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:11 AM

I've got a Surco basket that I'm pretty happy with. It's not terribly heavy duty, but it's fine for my purposes. I generally use it to carry a spare tire or wet/muddy camping/biking/boating gear... crap that I don't want inside my rig. I also carry bikes and kayaks on top of the basket. At about $150, it was priced right too. It's made of aluminum so rust isn't an issue.

I'm very happy with it. Because I've got so much crap hooked to it, I don't have any good pics of just the basket, so hear are bunch of pics... you'll get the idea.

For some reason, I can't get this pic to load, so here's the link.

Last edited by jacksonpt; 11-05-2002 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:20 AM

There is also Wilderness Racks. I really enjoy mine

http://www.garvin-industries.com/
Old 11-05-2002, 12:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Echo,

Aside from the ease-of-assembly issue, what will you be using it for?

For someone like me who goes camping alot, I have a Yakima Basketcase. It fits all the extra gear I have that won't fit inside the 4runner. Since I don't have the need to put anything seriously heavy in it, this suits me fine.

If your needs are more serious like mounting a tire on top, jerry cans, etc, you're probably better off w/ the big baskets like the Yakima Load Warriors, Surcos, etc like everyone else has mentioned.

Personally, I like the Load Warrior b/c its sturdy and there are many add-on Yakima accessories for it. My favorite is the extension piece. Something the other mfgs don't have right now. Also since Corey likes the Yakima so much, Corey will personally fab up whatever you think of that Yakima doesn't have. Oh, and he'll Corey Cable your rig if you bring it over to him too. How's that for a deal?

Bob
Old 11-06-2002, 05:10 AM

Thanks for all of the replies. I looked at the load warriors on various websites and they seem to have the best combination of price and accessories. I am primarily going to use the roof rack for carrying luggage, camping equipment, home improvement supplies, etc. , so I do not believe I need one of the really heavy duty racks. Another question for those who have purchased the load warriors. Where did you order it from and how much did you pay?

Echo
Old 11-06-2002, 05:35 AM
Contributing Member

Echo,
I really like my Load Warrior. When i had it on my '97 i used it alot.
While building my fence i needed to take back a whole bunch of lumber. It all fit on top. I was really surprised.
I even used it alot while camping. On one trip i had three tents, poles, picknic table, son's playpen, stove, four lawn chairs, cooler and a bunch of toys.
Wish i had taken a picture of that:eek:

I purchased my Load Warrior from G.I. Joes for $249.99
http://www.gijoes.com/product/index....entPage=family
Old 11-06-2002, 05:46 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I got my Load Warrior at my local GI Joe's sports store.
I paid about $240 for it, then Todd found me a coupon and I went back a few weeks later and got like $40 off.

A while later I went to REI and got the 18" extension for it.
That was about $70 I think.
Also picked up the cargo net for it too.

REI also carries the whole rack and cross bar stuff, but are generaly a little higher than most places.

Here's another online shop.
http://www.sportsrack.com/Yakima/

The nice thing about the Load Warriors is it has built in cross bars on top.
This way you can put on your bike racks, ski racks, ect.

Here's a few close-ups of mine.