Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Newbie with 4th gen question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie with 4th gen question

Ahoy,

First off many thanks to everyone on this forum. Been an observer for a while, and I must say that I've learned a lot from the tech section and boards.

My family just sold our 98 4Runner and are about halfway through the procecess of buying a 2004.

We went ahead and choose a 4wd V6 SR5 with DRL, 17in wheels, roof rack, RS3200 alarm, and 3rd row seat. Blasphemy! I imagine some of you saying/thinking. But by virtue of the seats being removable, it made the choice more practical. Besides, vanity prevents us from minivaning it.

Anyway, I just had a few questions regarding the exhaust.

First, I almost always drove with the rear window down (usually half way) with our 98. We didn't have the rear wind deflector on there and never had a problem with exhaust entering the cabin. I may be wrong, but I attributed that to the side exiting exhaust.

Now with the 4th gen tail pipe being straight back and some reporting exhaust gases coming in, would the rear spoiler counteract the station wagon effect? I've searched and read that it does make some difference in keeping the back clean, but mixed opinions on how it does in regard to exhaust.

Seems to me modding the exhaust to exit from the side is the better solution. I was thinking along the lines of what cervesa33 did here
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=18124
or upgrading the exhaust all together.

Ideally both should practically eliminate the problem. Eventually I'd like to get both done, but right now I want to prioritize any future upgrades (funtional over cosmetic).

Thanks again for any past and future help. You guys rock

Jon
Old 10-21-2003, 08:18 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome Nerve. I've had a second gen and now my 4th gen and always had the rear spoiler. It just looks naked without one IMO.

The rear spoiler absolutely has affects on wind to the rear of the vehicle and my back window stays almost completely dry when driving in pouring rain and the dust/dirt is cust way down on the back window as well.

Some have reported the sulfur smell from their Runners and I have never had the smell with mine running 89 octane gas and only one source for it-on base.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

Drive with the rear sliding window closed and you won't have any issues with the sulfur.

The mfg's need to comply the the smog laws created a great exhaust system that breaks down the exhaust fumes real well that it now produces sulfur. This is not a side affect but a direct result of their superior design. The only problem is that the gas now needs to have less sulfur so the vehicles won't fart anymore

Toyota is not the only problem with this as I have read on other boards by other manufacturers with the same issues.

O yeah, welcome aboard
Old 10-21-2003, 08:46 PM

I drive with the rear window down all the time. No smell problems at all.
I think that only affects the SR5 V8's
Old 10-21-2003, 08:55 PM
Contributing Member

It's probably the gas.... But then again what do I know right? hehe
Old 10-22-2003, 12:01 PM

To be fair to Toyota... There were a few time where I had to drive my '95 300ZX with the hatch open and I got a worse sulfur smell than with the '03.

You don't have cat's, Wood !
Old 10-22-2003, 12:21 PM

Welcome Nerve....

Specs sound nice but if you can delete the RS3200 and put the money into aftermarket stuff, it may be better in the long run.

As for side exit, I will have a magnaflow complete cat back on my 03 shortly and that exits right behind the rear mudflap, very similar to my TRD on my 99 with which I had no problems at all and I too drove with the rear window down alot.

It sure helps if you had a burrito for lunch

David.

P.S. You get one warning on the rules violation...soon as the truck hits your driveway, we gotta have pics
Old 10-22-2003, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome and I see you got silver, seems everyone in NY/NJ has silver
Old 10-22-2003, 02:54 PM

Hey guys thanks for the replies.

I suppose the rational thing to do would be to wait and see if the problem affects me. But with the new car on the way, I'm not much of a rational thinker in terms of the mod department. In fact I haven't been since I started visiting this forum.

That being said, I want me one-a-dem spoiler dealys. I agree with Woodbert, it does look naked with out it. Plus if it is functional, then even better.I'll have to talk to the parts and service depts over at the dealership to get an idea.

In regard to the topic of gas and the sulfer smell, I read in a few places that gas companies have to change their formulation for less sulfer content (similar to what Cali has now, I believe). I saw 2004 and 2005 thrown around as the compliance date. That right?

As for the alarm, too bit late to change it now, but I figure it'll tide me over till I can get around to upgrading it if need be.

Jon

PS. Dealer called and gave us a delivery date of 10/29 (exactly 1 week from now) . Already told my friend I was gonna borrow his digital cam for a day or so. I'll get a bunch of pics posted then. Later
Old 10-22-2003, 02:57 PM

Welcome and I see you got silver, seems everyone in NY/NJ has silver
Shhhh. I want to feel special.