Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Pickup! Questions/Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Pickup! Questions/Advice

Well, I posted a question earlier, but in the interest of not spamming you guys, I thought I'd do a quick post to get any insight you have.

I bought a new (to me) rig last weekend. It's an '01 Tacoma, Xtra Cab, 5 speed, 2.7L 4-cyl engine, lifted, 33/12.50/15's & Cold-Air Intake, Line-X Bed Liner, with 146k Miles. I have a few questions. If you have input I'd love to hear it!

Here's a couple pics, by the way:

Questions:
How do I figure out how much lift was put on it?

Does the factory keyless entry do anything besides unlock the doors? Does it have any type of alarm function? The reason I ask this is because I didn't get a key fob with it, and Toyota wants $150 for a new one, so I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra $100 to just get an alarm installed.

The rear slider is of the 2-piece type; are those as easy to jimmy open as the older ones? Do I need to be worried about that and if so, is there anything I can do to make it more secure?

I guess that's about all my questions. If you have any other input as far as upkeep outside the norm that will help it last longer I would appreciate it. I had a '92 pickup about 5 years ago, and from then til now had an '07 Tacoma (Company vehicle), so I know what to expect for the most part (excellence). Thought I'd throw it out there for any advice.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2011, 10:00 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Check the valves and adjust as necessary.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:29 AM

i may be able to answer your question about the alarm. A lot of these Tacomas have different brands of after market alarm systems and depending on which one you have, can be difficult to get info on. Try to find the alarm brain box, which may be under the drivers side, probably near the kick panel. On the brain, look for the FCC ID #, and use that number to do a search on the internet. Depending on the alarm system, you may be able to find a FOB on ebay really cheap, along with programming instructions.
Do you see a little red light mounted near the steering wheel?
Old 07-01-2011, 10:35 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Did you buy that truck at Hayes Auto Sales?
Old 07-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bicklebok
i may be able to answer your question about the alarm. A lot of these Tacomas have different brands of after market alarm systems and depending on which one you have, can be difficult to get info on. Try to find the alarm brain box, which may be under the drivers side, probably near the kick panel. On the brain, look for the FCC ID #, and use that number to do a search on the internet. Depending on the alarm system, you may be able to find a FOB on ebay really cheap, along with programming instructions.
Do you see a little red light mounted near the steering wheel?
There's no aftermarket alarm; that's what I'm trying to decide on, whether to just get a factory Toyota FOB or to get an aftermarket alarm.

MAK92 - Yes I did; was it yours? Have a FOB for me? LOL
Old 07-03-2011, 05:58 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Lift and flog

:wabbit2:
Old 07-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

How does this even happen? I was driving the other day & heard a loud 'clang' when I went over a speed bump, so I checked around the back anf found the tailpipe hanger broken. It looks like a pretty darn clean break, too. Is this something I can just have welded back together, or do I need to get a new one installed at a shop?

Oh and why won't the picture rotate correctly the way I have it on Photobucket?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:56 PM

That can be welded bak and its a great looking pickup man as far as the alarm dont know anything bout em i live in a small town everyone knows everyone heck i leave my keys in my truck 24/7 dont think ive ever pulled it out of the ignition lol
Old 07-10-2011, 09:16 PM

"The rear slider is of the 2-piece type; are those as easy to jimmy open as the older ones? Do I need to be worried about that and if so, is there anything I can do to make it more secure?"

I used to just cut some 1/4" wood dowell to length and shove them in the window tracks. Depending on how often you plan on using your slider it's a solid cheap fix.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:21 AM

I could be mistaken, but I dont think a Tacoma(at least a first gen) is capable of just adding a keyless door FOB the way it came from the factory. It would have to have a device, like an alarm added. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

The guy at the dealership (and I think when I called Toyota, they confirmed) said that if it has auto door locks, all you need is a key FOB & to have it programmed. The more I think about it and what all is on/in the truck I'm thinking an alarm sounds much more comforting. I'll just have to save up the $ to get it.

On another note, I took the truck back to the dealership today and they sent me to the muffler shop they use, and had them weld a new hanger on for the tailpipe at no cost to me (relating to picture above of broken hanger). Pretty nice!
Old 07-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by baddest94
That can be welded bak and its a great looking pickup man as far as the alarm dont know anything bout em i live in a small town everyone knows everyone heck i leave my keys in my truck 24/7 dont think ive ever pulled it out of the ignition lol
Man I'm jealous; I grew up in a place like that in Colorado, but I can't talk the wife into moving far enough out of town to live in a place like that!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:13 PM

thats a good looking truck and the windows arent as easy to jimmy open as the older ones but it is still possible