Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

new guy wants faster taco

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 09:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
replys...

hey gadget, nice to hear from you--

As i understand it, the tacoma engine is slightly different from the 4 runner engine in that is has either a different fuel map or some components are different to allow for increased HP from the factory. Im sorry I dont have a scanner to post the dyno test sheet , but it was done by the dealer on their smog dyno and I presume that it was accurate. Anyways, I have raced several SC 4 runners and have beat them all off the line-- even at the race track-- one guy even had all the stuff you could possibly think of, headers, exhaust, outboard computer, nitrous, modified transmission, modified throttle body, modified intake ( he took the newer style maf sensor from a 00 truck and made a different tube intake to use it. this thing was fast!!! it ran a 14.5!! Ive never seen a 4 runner do that ( or any suv for that matter ) at the race track. I will post my 1/4 mile time when I get around to going back to the track..

now about my system, well you asked....

I fiberglassed a 7 cu. ft. enclosurebehind the drivers seat which holds 4 Image Dynamics IDmax 12"s-- they are dual 2ohm versions wired in parallel.. each pair is running off of a fosgate BD1000 at 1ohm-- to support this, I have a dual battery system under the hood, one optima red for starting and a stinger gel cell. there are JBL components in the doors powered by an earthquake 4300txo amp. It hits about 150db @ 45hz, but my dome light flexes about 2 inches up and down and the back window sounds like crap because its not a solid version and rattles all to hell (anyone wanna trade my split rear window for your solid one!! )

regards

Tim

( i will get a digital camera so you guys can see all this money I poured in this little truck )
Old 10-07-2002, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YEAH, i want your sliding glass window. but shipping etc. would be a pain... your on the other side of the US.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:09 AM

man...more power to ya for trying to go fast but don't build yourself up and dog on that 4runner...most likely he did not have the mods you were talking abouts b/c a 4runner with those mods would smoke you..why? b/c i have most those mods and i can run way faster than a 14.5... i can run a 14.9 on the just the s/c alone without any other mods.

-mark

Old 10-08-2002, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by mozzie
man...more power to ya for trying to go fast but don't build yourself up and dog on that 4runner...most likely he did not have the mods you were talking abouts b/c a 4runner with those mods would smoke you..why? b/c i have most those mods and i can run way faster than a 14.5... i can run a 14.9 on the just the s/c alone without any other mods.

-mark

Yea, now were talking!!! What do you got under the hood Mark?
Old 10-08-2002, 11:18 AM

i cant really read that. maybe its just me. does that say 10.984 or 12.984?
Old 10-08-2002, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by rowan
i cant really read that. maybe its just me. does that say 10.984 or 12.984?
10.984? Wishful thinking but still 12.9 for a 4Runner is damn good!!!
Old 10-08-2002, 01:39 PM

Hey Duffdog, can you tell us more about the fuel map thing being different. I have never heard about that before, I always assumed they were the exactly the same but now you have me wondering.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2002, 02:35 PM

Hey duff dog..you and I are on the same page. I have a 2001 S-runner. 3.4L with the S/C. I want to do some upgrades, but Id o't know where to look first. I removed the elbow and I have a TRD air filter. I guess I should do the deck plate right? about fuel...I guess that's where I want to look first.
Old 10-08-2002, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by Eric D.
Hey duff dog..you and I are on the same page. I have a 2001 S-runner. 3.4L with the S/C. I want to do some upgrades, but Id o't know where to look first. I removed the elbow and I have a TRD air filter. I guess I should do the deck plate right? about fuel...I guess that's where I want to look first.
Do you still need to do the deckplate mod if you've already taken the elbow off? Has anybody done both ... is there much of a difference?
Old 10-08-2002, 03:37 PM

I have long since retired from the race scene, the 4runner is now just TRD spec'ed, but here is what was on the 4runner at its peak...

SUV Specs-1998 2WD SR5 Toyota 4Runner; tipping the scales right around 3600 lbs.

Engine-3.4 L V6 Engine
TRD Gen. 1 Supercharger running stock 9 lbs. of boost
TRD Exhaust Headers
TRD Exhaust
TRD Transmission Cooler
Toyota Supra TT Fuel Pump
Toyota Supra 330 cc Fuel Injectors
Toyota Supra TT Spark Plugs
RS Akimoto Intake and Filter
NX Nitrous Express Wet Manifold Single Fogger Nitrous System (100 HP jetting)
Optima Bluetop Deep Cycle Gel Cell Battery
TRD-Japan Oil and Radiator Caps

Wheels & Suspension
PowerSlot Slotted Front Rotors
TRD HPZ Carbon Metallic Brake Pads
2-15x28x10.5 Mickey Thompson ET Drags(track)
and BFG Drag Radials (Street)

Engine Management
TRD Boost Gauge
Autometer Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge
NOS Nitrous Gauge
Split Second ARC2 (Air/Fuel Ratio Calibrator)
Split Second ESC (EGO Signal Conditioner)
HKS FCD (Fuel Cut Defenser)

In Car Electronics
Panasonic CD Player
6.8” Mobile Authority LCD Screen (Front)
2 - 5.0” Mobile Authority LCD Screens (Rear Headrests)
Mobile TV Tuner with Antennae
Baluplaunkt Mobile DVD/VCD/MP3 Player
Sony PlayStation 2
Sega Dreamcast
4- 6.5” Pioneer Premier Co-Axial Speakers
12” DVC Audiobahn Subwoofer
150 watt Rockford Punch Amplifier
250 watt Rockford Punch Amplifier
Full Fosgate Wiring
.5 farad Rockford Capacitor

-mark
Old 10-08-2002, 05:47 PM

i thought 10.9 seemed a tad bit fast. 12 is good ! im not a racer but keep up the good work guys.

sweet sounding 4runner up there
Old 10-08-2002, 06:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
difference between tacos and 4runs

Hey beowulf--

Im not sure of the exact differences between the truck engine and the 4runner engine but I am sure that the 4runner engine develops its max torque at a higher rpm than the trucks. I am also sure that the 4runs come with 185HP and the trucks come with 190HP-- however, the fuel injectors are also different, 4runs come with 230cc injectors while trucks have 270cc injectors. Something about the fuel map must be different in the lower rpm range. There must be a reason for that. I am also not sure why or how gadget got his 4runner to rev to 7000rpm ( watched the movie on his website ) My 98 taco has an electronic cutoff at 5600rpm which is done through the spark, so I am unsure how to bypass that! ANY info on this gadget? pretty please!

Oh; congratulations to the 4runner running the 12 second 1/4 mile! ( your right about people not wanting to show you whats under the hood after they tell you...hmmmmm) just wait until I finish my truck.. he he ( are you sure your charger has 9 psi stock?, i thought they had 6 )

I have put in the stupid FIPK thingy and noticed no improvement in anything at all!! it wasnt even louder:mad: So I cut the front of the box out in a similar manner to gadget's truck with my airsaw and saw an increase in power. So I will vouch for that one-- also, the TRD exhaust can be duplicated with a single flowmaster and some 2.5" pipe for a lot less and still be smog legal.
NOW for the million dollar question--- can you put a supra TT maf on your stock airbox and will the computer recognize that data without the check engine light coming on??? I would really like to do this mod--but unsure how to proceed. PS, i have the SAFC....

Tim
Old 10-08-2002, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by mozzie
I have long since retired from the race scene, the 4runner is now just TRD spec'ed, but here is what was on the 4runner at its peak...

-mark
Very nice setup Mark, no wonder you were pulling 12's!!!
Old 10-08-2002, 09:38 PM

Re: difference between tacos and 4runs

Originally posted by Duffdog
Hey beowulf--
NOW for the million dollar question--- can you put a supra TT maf on your stock airbox and will the computer recognize that data without the check engine light coming on??? I would really like to do this mod--but unsure how to proceed. PS, i have the SAFC....

Tim
I am almost sure that you can. I heard it is the 99+ CA Emissions that it will not work in. I would talk to Split Second and get their advice on it. I'm sure they would know, they sell MAF kits.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

All hail mark, the owner of the first 4Run in the 12s (to our knowlege)

AWESOME truck man, sorry to hear you got out of the drag scene, you might have ended up with a 2JZ under the hood if you weren't careful This inspires me... that I CAN make my Runner faster than most would think... damn... looks like there won't be any girlfriends in the near future... Love the burnout pic by the way... though... the piece of paper I recieved for it isn't quite as nice as the one you posted :pat: anyway, welcome aboard (sorry for just now chiming in, i hadn't checked the board in a while...)
Old 10-09-2002, 07:20 AM

with the installed check valve, that ron s. described on his website the boost peaks right at 9 lbs.

-mark
Old 01-29-2003, 12:24 PM

What's the installed check valve your talking about?

Chris