Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

need opinions on ventvisors?? what do u have?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need opinions on ventvisors?? what do u have?

I'm looking to get a set (4 piece) of vent visors some that looks good(nothing bulky) and hold up well. I'm thinking the 3m tape not the in channels. What to you guys think??
Old 06-13-2006, 09:50 PM

I've been thinking the same thing myself.
Every time it rain's which has been alot here recently, just crack the window,back out of the driveway, and the armrest, window control switches are wet. Along with my arm.

I think the 3M tape deal would work better than in the channels.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:06 PM

Never was that much of an issue for me but its been raining here and there way too much, if it wasn/t for all this damn rain I wouldn't be looking to get these. I'm leaning more for the 3m tape visors. Anyone know of a good deal for a set of 4 piece.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Contributing Member

i have from in channel ones that i would love to sell from my 02 taco
Old 06-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Contributing Member

The AVS tape on ones are pretty bulky... They stick out alot... If I could do it over again, I would go with a slim designed inchannel one.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:59 AM
Contributing Member

I don't remember the ones I have but they're slim. I got them because I wanted to keep my windows down but not deal w/ the gushes of air into the cabin. I've only had them for two months but I love them.

I think I would get these for most of my cars/trucks going forward.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i bought some that stuck on the outside of my 4runner and a couple weeks later they were coming off. i did all prep required and followed their directions perfectly so i don't now if it was just bad tape or what. i tried to take them off to apply some better foam tape and they shattered, $60 on ebay.

so, i got some of the in channel ones. i like the looks of these much better. they actually came with a little strip of double sided tape on them, installed in about 5 minutes. at high speeds though i noticed the front visors would rattle a little so i took them out and applied the foam tape on the entire edge that fits in the window channel. I have not had a single problem with them since.

my vote... go with the in channel ones and maybe apply some extra foam tape on them just to be safe.

patrick
Old 06-14-2006, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pattycakes77
i bought some that stuck on the outside of my 4runner and a couple weeks later they were coming off. i did all prep required and followed their directions perfectly so i don't now if it was just bad tape or what. i tried to take them off to apply some better foam tape and they shattered, $60 on ebay.

so, i got some of the in channel ones. i like the looks of these much better. they actually came with a little strip of double sided tape on them, installed in about 5 minutes. at high speeds though i noticed the front visors would rattle a little so i took them out and applied the foam tape on the entire edge that fits in the window channel. I have not had a single problem with them since.

my vote... go with the in channel ones and maybe apply some extra foam tape on them just to be safe.

patrick
Great description. This is what I have. I have not had issues w/ rattle as these suckers were difficult to get in and required bending of the plastic. I thought I was going to break them when installing them.

My rears had the tape but the fronts didn't. I think I paid $50+ for mine brand-new from Performance Products. Again, I can't remember the name but I highly recommend them.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:42 AM

I use WeatherTach in-channels ('Dark' version) and I love 'em. Installation took all of 2 minutes, no rattling, etc.

To be fair, though... I did have some AVS tape-on visors that survived multiple wrecks with no issues on my '93 PreTaco until it was totalled last year.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member

IMO in-channel stink. Had them on my suburban, they rattled, whistled, had a pi$$ poor mounting design, damaged the weather stripping and finally fell off going down the freeway. I had the true vent-visor brand too. After my fiasco, I researched and found many simliar complaints about them (all brands of in-channel). I have the peel and stick on my 4 runner and have had no problems to date (1.5 years). The in channel look better but thats about it.

EDIT: I also tried to salvage them with various inudstrial tapes at my disposal. nothing helped

my .25cents

Last edited by shiftless89; 06-14-2006 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:10 AM

If I were to pick up a set of the stick-on kind. I'd use [ don't laugh ] "The right stuff" sealant as the adhesive.

Besides being a great sealant, it will bond most anything together. Just have to be careful when applying whatever it is that your sticking down so it doesn't ooze out to much.

I used it to attach chrome strips on an old chevy that I had years ago and it held up fine, even under a pressure washer.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

I have the AVS 3m versions and no issues with the tape and they do the job since it's nice to be able to crack the windows a little and keep the rain out when even parked.

I also noticed a few of my friends ended up with rattling issues with the in-channel designs after a couple of years.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 465 Likes on 311 Posts
I've had the in-channel ventvisors on my Bronco II for 12 years now - they still look great and are still stuck on nice and tight. No rattles here. It never goes in the garage, either, so they've been in the weather the whole time.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:18 PM

i have the real ventshade brand tape on-s and theyre great.
i dont think theyre bulky, but i do think they look good on the truck. i have all 4 on my tacoma and love them.
check ebay for the best pricing.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have them too, been on for 12 years now and they still look good, tape still holding.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

I just bought the 4 piece in-channel Auto Ventshade visors on eBay for less than $50 shipped.
I had them on a another vehicle before with no problems.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:21 PM

anyone have EGR slimlines??
Old 06-14-2006, 09:10 PM

Looks like ebay is my best bet so far the only thing left to decide is tape or in channel. Some of you guys mentioned that you had them on american trucks, not to sound negative but I'm looking more for 3rd gen experience. Those american trucks I believe have more clearance in in fit and finish. Most toyotas have nice tight quality finish. Just still debating on in channel or tape??
Hey, ROCKET did you get the in channel or tape? how they working out for you??
Old 06-14-2006, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rocket
I just bought the 4 piece in-channel Auto Ventshade visors on eBay for less than $50 shipped.
I'm guessing they are in-channel.
As far as the fit and finish comment, that makes no sense. If that were true then it would be harder for the in-channel vent visors to stay in due to the higher "clearance in in fit and finish" but the "tight quality finish" of toyota should hold the visors in better.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:17 AM
Contributing Member

lol unr.frosh

WHORERUNNER, yeah, I bought the in-channel visors from the eBay seller 'intrigued' since he had the best price AND the best feedback. I just bought & paid for them today so of course i haven't received them yet. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

A few weeks ago, I searched a grip of threads (on YT) about window visors, rain guards, weather deflectors, etc. and found a few guys had the in-channel version. The vast majority said they liked them. The ones (like 1 or 2) that didn't, said they rattled or something (no offense). Obviously it all depends on the vehicle or how they were installed as mentioned in this thread...

habanero, had them for 12 years on a Bronco with no issues. Thats impressive!

shiftless89, had them on a Suburban but they were crap.

I had them on a Ford Aerostar for 2 years and they were great.

Besides all the threads i've read, i have looked at numerous 3rd gen 4runners with visors and i've see plently that were tape-on but i've also seen a lot with in-channel. ALL the ones i've seen with in-channel not only look better but also seem be to held on as good as my pos Aerostar had.

Thats why i went with in channel versus tape-on. I simply never found a good enough reason to change my mind.

Now once i install and have them for awhile on my 4runner, i'll be sure to update my thoughts. I drive to work in some of the most hardcore winds that CO gets including hard rain and hail so they will be put to the test.

Quick Reply: need opinions on ventvisors?? what do u have?