Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need help with a tire issue guys

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 05:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Need help with a tire issue guys

I know it's off brandand Model, but you guys are the smartest MF'ers I know when it comes to vehicles.
My girl was just at Discount Tire and asked why a tire was wearing bad and if she needed them rotated.

He replies " It's wearing because it was on the left side and it is a right side tire.
Huh??
This is for a 2001 altima
Is there such a thing???

Sorry for the placement of this subject but the overall theme has to resonate with many.

Thanks guys , Kenny S>
Old 10-28-2008, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post up a pic of the tires on the vehicle. I would like to see what the guy is talking about.
There are unidirectional tires on the market ( example- good year aqua tread and nokia hakkapalita ) but if it is a common all season tire thats on the car, they should be rotated front to back every second oil change ( thats 10,000 kms in metric, dont ask to convert to imperial, my math is bad tonight ) If the tire is wearing badly on one side of the car, you need to do a little work. You should check the tire pressures and then the front end components for worn parts. If the car has not had an alignment for a while, it may be time to have tat looked at too. And dont take it back to the guy at Discount tire... he might tell you that it needs a rear diff service...
Old 10-28-2008, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by sharrack
It's wearing because it was on the left side and it is a right side tire.

Sounds like somebody watches too much nascar...
Old 10-28-2008, 05:56 PM

Too many right hand turns...
Old 10-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Depending on how the tire is designed, directional tires CAN wear unevenly. What brand/model of tire does she have? Also, you can look on the tire and it will tell you what direction the tire is supposed to be rotating.

Although this could be the issue, I would also have the car looked at. Things like low or high pressures, worn struts, ball jouints, bushings, steering arms, and misalignment can all cause tires to wear uneven.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:51 PM

Thanks guys,
I can understand a tire having to be mounted in a certain side out but the left right sided tire thing sounds ridiculous especially because the question was never asked when she ordered the tire on the phone.

I'll do a visual on those tires and report back.
I think you're right........NASCAR on the brain!

Kenny S
Old 10-28-2008, 07:46 PM

If it's a directional tire it may wear unevenly. Some tires are designed to only rotate one way due to the tread pattern. This directional tread pattern has to do with how it was designed to drive in water and to resist hydo-plaining. If it is a directional tire it should have an arrow and say rotation with the arrow pointing which way it supposed to rotate. Other then that make sure you have proper tire pressure. A improperly inflated tire can wear on the outsides faster if it's underinflated, and a overinflated tire will wear on the insides faster. If neither of those are a factor I would have the car's alignment checked out. Camber would be the biggest factor on how a tire would wear when it comes to alignments.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:30 PM

Discount tire. My favorite place to go...really....

First time in-they balanced it on the hub and the balance was way off. So I returned and asked them to use the haweka adapater (but they don't call it that). They did and it was fixed.

I recently went back for another rotation. Sure enough-they brought out the hub adapter. I pulled the supervisor aside and asked him to use the haweka adapater. He balked and said that it would be fine and if they needed to use the adapater-it could take a "really long time" to get the balance done".

At that point-I told him to put the rotated tires on as they were not out of balance. He decided to go ahead and do it my way and amazingly-they were done in 20 minutes.

The funny thing is-the guy on the machine looked like a deer in the headlights. Totally clueless. I wonder if Parker is a training center?

My next set of tires will be from Costco where (shocking) they have a whole stack of adapters and brand new shiny machines.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:05 PM

I stand corrected.
I pulled into Home Depot today next to a Toyota Yaris and looked down at the
low profile tires. I see the word Right on the right side tires and the word LEFT
on the left side tires.

So he's not a liar BUT I'll check my girlies tires tonight to see if hers are labeled
Left and Right.

Funny part is , after mentioning a right side tire was on the left side, my girlie says " but you're the only guys who touch my tires" !
OOPS!

I've learned over time that you really need to double check the work done on your vehicles NO matter where you go . Trust no one.

Kenny S>
Old 10-29-2008, 02:14 PM

[quote=
Funny part is , after mentioning a right side tire was on the left side, my girlie says " but you're the only guys who touch my tires" !
OOPS!
Kenny S>[/QUOTE]

lol