Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My new 1998 4Runner SR5- Dial-Up Beware

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My new 1998 4Runner SR5- Dial-Up Beware

I finally got it (purchased from 4RunnerFever)!!! I have to tell you, North Carolina to New Mexico is A freakin' LONG drive... I'm exhausted. I thought I would post up some favorite pics from the drive accross the U.S. Hope you like.

Here are some specs on the 4Runner:

1998 4Runner SR5 V-6 4X4 Auto- Anthracite

Factory Options:
Sport Package
Rear E-Locker
Tow Package
Rear Heater

Aftermarket Interior/Exterior:
Hood with Hood Scoop, Matched Paint
4Runner Limited Wheels
285/75-16 Bridgestone Dueler Revos
PIAA 1400 Fog Lamps
2002 4Runner Headlights, Taillights, Aluminum Front Skid Plate
Clear Turn Signals & Side Markers
Yakima Roof Rack
EGR "Carbon Fiber Look" Hood Guard
Carbon Fiber Gauge Surround
The semi-famous "Outback Mod"
Windows tinted to match

Aftermarket Performance:
TRD Gen-2 Supercharger w/ Boost Gauge
TRD Cat-Back exhaust
TRD Oil Cap, Radiator Cap
Deck Plate Mod
Amsoil Fluids & Filter
Optima Red-Top
Hayden 1678 Transmission Cooler
Revtek 3" Suspension Lift
4Crawler 1" Body Lift
Sonoran Steel Panhard Bar

In my living room to be put on next week:
URD 3.4L Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit
-318cc Injectors
-Walbro 190lph Fuel Pump
-URD Performance FTC w/ Signal Conditioner
-Denso Iridium IK-22's
-170 degree thermostat

Innovate! Motorsports Standalone Gauge Kit
-LC-1 Wideband O2 Sensor Controller w/ sensor
-XD-1 Programmable Display

Gaugepods.com Dual Gauge Pod

So, on to the pics (sorry, they're 7.1MP)... enjoy!

Tennessee

Truck Stop in Arkansas

Farmland in the Texas Panhandle

More Texas Panhandle

And Finally, New Mexico Rest Stop

Last edited by mastacox; 08-27-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:04 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
you should scale those pics down man. I'm sure someone will for ya, i just dont have the time right this sec.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
you should scale those pics down man. I'm sure someone will for ya, i just dont have the time right this sec.
I can't right now, maybe later. I have Photoshop CS, but it's bedtime.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
OOoo...you got my first favorite 4runner of all time.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heck yeah! It's awesome getting what you want through YT!! I know i did.

Congrats!
Old 08-27-2006, 04:58 AM
Banned

I like the color. Even though Ive seen it a hundred times I gotta say it again. Any plans for it besides putting in the URD kit?
Old 08-27-2006, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by neliconcept
I like the color. Even though Ive seen it a hundred times I gotta say it again. Any plans for it besides putting in the URD kit?
Ahh, sleep is good...

For other plans, I have a few. Hard to say when they will all be done

Other plans
VB Upgrade (ASAP, probably April)
Grey wire mod(of course!) (also ASAP)
Smoked emblems (if I can find them)
Painted Rims (to match the Anthracite)
Highlander 130amp alternator (if they bolt-in, haven't confirmed)
Hella Rallye 4000 Compacts on baja-style light bar

Other Plans, probably 2 years out
Total Chaos long travel front, Long travel rear (maybe 3-link wishbone?), fiberglass fenders painted to match
Manual hubs (if compatible with the LT kit)
Rhino-lined bumpers and lower doors

That's about all I have thought of that would be awesome... I'm planning on making this a primarily desert/duning/baja truck with some capability in going over some rocks/mud here and there. The horsepower would have been the hardest part, but since I already have the TRD Supercharger and URD kit, I'm most of the way there. Suspension will have to wait for some time, but that's ok. I plan on taking a welding course at the community college here, and doing it myself though so that will help with price.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks great Brian! How did it run? How much did you spend in fuel getting it home?
Old 08-27-2006, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Looks great Brian! How did it run? How much did you spend in fuel getting it home?
It ran great! I had some ping difficulties in the lower altitudes (under 1500ft) in Tennesee and Arkansas, but going to a higher gear cured it no problem. Higher altitdes in the later evening when the air was cooler ALL of he ping went away. This thing drives like a bat-out-o-hell It doesn't even downshift on hills (unless they're huge) it just throws in some boost and plows up it. WAY better than the little '92 I'm WAY excited to feel this thing with 50 more hp...

I think I averaged about 17-18 mpg on the way back, but I haven't added up the receipts yet. Total gas cost was about $270 I think. Gas is really cheap in Arkansas and Texas! I actually spent $2.72/gal for 93 octane premium in Ark... I stuck with Shell V-Power or Chevron Techron all the way back, BTW. Ran great. Unfortunately the 93 was only available closer to the east coast, tennesee and western Ark only, Texas and NM only have 90 (or maybe 91). Oh well.

I get a lot of stares in this thing, which is awesome. The supercharger whine is SO awesome! I passed several stock 3rd gens going up some hills with no difficulties in top gear, on the way back.

I am definitely understanding why people say "never drive a supercharged truck, or you'll end up buying one... whether you planned to or not." Fortunately, I planned on it
Old 08-27-2006, 06:53 AM

i love that color and just the overall stance and appearance of the truck. VERY Nice

Where could i pickup one of those aluminum skid plates? is it a OEM skid plate or what?
Old 08-27-2006, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by norflaballer
i love that color and just the overall stance and appearance of the truck. VERY Nice

Where could i pickup one of those aluminum skid plates? is it a OEM skid plate or what?
It's an OEM option for 2002 4Runners, previous owner got it on Ebay.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

I think I'm going to go for the "sleeper" look though (sorry 4RunnerFever), the supercharged stickers and TRD front plate are comin off. It's all about letting people guess at what you have.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:25 PM

Man thats a sweet ride! Congrats!
Old 08-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mastacox
I think I'm going to go for the "sleeper" look though (sorry 4RunnerFever), the supercharged stickers and TRD front plate are comin off. It's all about letting people guess at what you have.
Yeah I can't see myself putting those stickers on either.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:59 PM

Nice ride. Looks like you had perfect driving weather.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

So I put the Walbro pump in this afternoon. A fairly easy install that took about 3 hours (would have been about 1.5-2 with a second set of hands). I have pics, but they are goin to stay with me for a while until I make a website about my trials and tribulations with the URD install.

Also went to Sears and got a Craftsman torque wrench and a set of two strap wrenches. I think I have everything I need for installation now...

I've only had this thing in my posession for 3 days, and I'm already wrenching on it... do I need to see someone about that ?

Last edited by mastacox; 08-27-2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mastacox
Thought that is the look I had . . . so happy for you and that you made it back safe and trouble free. Enjoy one of the best 4Runners anywhere!!! :cry:
Old 08-28-2006, 05:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to see someone else driving half way across the Moon just to buy a 4R. Sometimes you just have to drive a good distance to get what you want. I drove from AL to NY to buy my 4Runner 4mons ago and it was totally worth the drive...even though my friends think I'm crazy.

Nice 4Runner.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Glad to see someone else driving half way across the Moon just to buy a 4R. Sometimes you just have to drive a good distance to get what you want. I drove from AL to NY to buy my 4Runner 4mons ago and it was totally worth the drive...even though my friends think I'm crazy.

Nice 4Runner.
4Runners in this condition are impossible to find anywhere, so driving cross-country for it was a small price to pay Plus given all of the great mods on it, it was impossible to pass up.

I think I will remove the supercharger tonight or tomorrow night for the fuel injectors install... I also got some Prestone "Dex-Cool Approved" anti-freeze and water wetter in anticipation of having to change the thermostat. I only bought one gallon though, how much will I need for a 50-50 mix in the radiator? I'll have to look in the Hayne's and Owner's manuals and see what they say...

After the fuel injectors, it will be time to take apart the dash and put in the FTC and WB O2 stuff... Everything is coming together quite nicely. On another note, I was planning on hard-mounting a 350W power inverter under one of the seats in front for powering a laptop or other small devices, I looked under the driver's seat and there is some sort of computer module under there, and then I looked under the passenger seat and there is some kind of vent/fan WTF mate? I think I can get it to fit under the passenger seat closer to the door, but what is that vent? Just curious is all.

I also have my auxillary fuse block all ready to go in, it will be powering the FTC, WB O2 controller, and the inverter (with two of the contsant-on circuits in parallel). The fuse block is a Painless watherproof 7-circuit "Cirkit Boss" kit with 4 ignition-on 20 amp circuits, and 3 always-on 20 amp circuits. Should help make the power routing for my components quite clean. I also have some wire conduit to give the wires in the engine bay a nice OEM look.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

Change is good, right Graham?

By the way, I LOVE the tint on the windows. the sun is pretty darn strong at 7500 ft, and the tint keeps the car nice and cool driving around. I have definitely tanned my left arm from driving around in the '92... the drive back was very comfortable too, this thing cruises like a dream on the highway with the low-end torque.

I definitely think the truck has a great sleeper look about it right now, but I just think I will remove the "Supercharged" emblem/stickers... as for the TRD on the back, I think I might keep it, I kind of like it there After talking to you on Thursday night, I am definitely going to keep a keen eye out for smoked emblems, they would look awesome with the anthracite. I'll keep the rims the way they are for now though, they are in perfect condition and make a good accent to the darker color of the 4Runner

Dude, thanks for taking such great care of thins thing, I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! The interior's immaculate, the exterior's immaculate, this is definitely within the top 5% in terms of used car condition I'm going to feel so bad when I off-road this thing, heck I even feel bad right now just because it's a little dirty from the drive back

EDIT:
While we're at it, let me know when you're ready to slap a turbo on the little xA of miniature fury! Heck, I might even fly over to help if you want

Last edited by mastacox; 08-28-2006 at 07:31 AM.

Quick Reply: My new 1998 4Runner SR5- Dial-Up Beware