Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My GEN2 clear tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My GEN2 clear tail lights

All,

Sorry to start up yet another thread on the subject. Yet if you look at the other clear tail light thread you will see that I said I would post when I got the chance. Well now here is that chance. I found a source for 1/2 clear and all clear tail light for the GEN2 4 runner. They have both models of the tail lights those that have the back up light built into the tail light assy and those that do not have a back up light. When you look the pics, I have the 1/2 clear 1/2 red one with the back up light built in. Most of the U.S. runners do not have that back built in. I also have the clear front turn unit and the clear side marker all for Yen 31,500 not installed. The kit which is picture 1 came from a company in Chiba Japan the telephone number is (0471) 93-0226 from the states that would be country code 81 471-93-0226 be prepared to speak Japanese.
The listed catalog prices are below all the models of the tail lights are the same price so I listed the the different ones available.
All Clear no back up light
1/2 Clear 1/2 Red no back up light
All Clear with back up light
1/2 clear 1/2 red with back up light YEN 18,900
Clear front turn lens yen 5,250
Clear front turn unit yen 8,40
Clear side marker yen 4,200

Yes I put the kit on at night and in the rain :cry: . I think that most here under stand that some how when the guy drops the parts off at the door he takes your brains with him when he goes. We are left as knuckle dragging mouth breathers "MUST INSTALL PARTS NOW...HUH HUH HUH"

Here are the pics. If you want some day time not raining pics you better ask quick, raining season is headed in.

Thank you to Cebby and Bumpin Yota for helping me to get the pics here.

Also check this thread HERE

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...60684498ZHotQi

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...60685597Briluq

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...60686319dndeim

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...60687901IQxsYO

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...60688650NrXoEG

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...60690209sHIMWJ

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...60691256hIQAAF

All said and done it was very easy to to make the runner look tons better.

The pics did not dispaly when I open this page back up so if you want to see then try checking them out here...

http://community.webshots.com/user/505dragon

Last edited by dragon564; 06-03-2005 at 09:50 PM. Reason: To fix the picture links
Old 06-03-2005, 11:56 PM
Contributing Member

Looking very very nice. I really like those half clears on the back.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
so at current exchange rates we are looking at 175.26 USD does that include shipping?

Are you asking for orders for the tails? If so, gimme 2 weeks for my next paycheck and you can count me in! And how much do you want as a finders fee?
Old 06-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

I just got the same lights on eBay for $230.00 shipped, from Japan. You can find them on www.ebay.uk by searching Toyota Hilux Surf
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

A few things about them though:
1) Since they are made for a Hilux Surf, they have three bulb openings. The lower one for the "half clears" is for reverse lights which cant be used since 2nd gen Runners already have reverse lights located each side of the license plate (unless Toyota changed this design on the '94 or '95 then you would be in luck). Otherwise I suppose a mod could be done to use the 3rd clear opening but its not necessary. I thought of wiring up a 3rd socket off the brake light and putting in a red bulb for additional brake/tail lighting just because it look unique.

2) The actual lighted section of the brake/tail light is a lot smaller than the stock factory lights which may be disapointing for some. Thats why i got the idea that i mentioned above.

3) The 2 openings that you do use (brake and turn signal) will each require a slight mod in order to for the light sockets to "twist in" and be secure. The stock light sockets dont exactly match the pattern of the openings- I had to make small cuts and brake a peice off each hole.

Even without using the opening for the half clears, IMO they still look way better than the factory lights and there made of good quality.

Im considering selling mine if anyone is interested. Only because i also bought fully "illegal" clear tail lights that cost me double the price.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by rocket
I just got the same lights on eBay for $230.00 shipped, from Japan. You can find them on www.ebay.uk by searching Toyota Hilux Surf
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

A few things about them though:
1) Since they are made for a Hilux Surf, they have three bulb openings. The lower one for the "half clears" is for reverse lights which cant be used since 2nd gen Runners already have reverse lights located each side of the license plate (unless Toyota changed this design on the '94 or '95 then you would be in luck). Otherwise I suppose a mod could be done to use the 3rd clear opening but its not necessary. I thought of wiring up a 3rd socket off the brake light and putting in a red bulb for additional brake/tail lighting just because it look unique.

2) The actual lighted section of the brake/tail light is a lot smaller than the stock factory lights which may be disapointing for some. Thats why i got the idea that i mentioned above.

3) The 2 openings that you do use (brake and turn signal) will each require a slight mod in order to for the light sockets to "twist in" and be secure. The stock light sockets dont exactly match the pattern of the openings- I had to make small cuts and brake a peice off each hole.

Even without using the opening for the half clears, IMO they still look way better than the factory lights and there made of good quality.

Im considering selling mine if anyone is interested. Only because i also bought fully "illegal" clear tail lights that cost me double the price.
Rocket, Look at the list that I put up there. The ones with out that reverse/back up light built in to the tail light unit are available. From the parts number searchs that I have done what it comes down to is this the U.S. model GEN2 pick ups use this light unit with the reverse light built in the U.S. 4 runners witht he reverse lights in the tail gate on each side of the license plate of course do not but both models are available.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

oops! Sorry, I didnt even read all that at first. I just remembered looking at a pic you posted and the lights i saw were the same ones i got. I cant believe that i possibly could of gotten half red/half clears!! If only i knew how to speak Japanese!
My computer at work has blocked the link(s) to your pictures so i cant see them but i have some questions.... Do the half/half lights have only 2 openings like the factory 2nd gen US lights? How could somebody order them if they dont speak Japnese? Do they have a website?
thanks for anymore info

Last edited by rocket; 06-05-2005 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

Do they make those for pickups too?
Old 06-05-2005, 07:25 PM

^ Read The Thread Completely, That Has Already Been Answered.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:28 PM

Ya know I think the amber look much better on the front. I wish my turns were all amber; that way they would match my bumper lights.
The tails on the other hand I would sport in a minute, but that is way too much cheeze for a cosmetic mod. Good job tho
Old 06-05-2005, 08:32 PM

wow thats just what i wanted!!! too bad i wont have $175 laying around for quite some time. what a great find though!!! i can't wait to see some pics of them on some of your guys' 4Runners.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Silver_Truck
Do they make those for pickups too?

Gents,

Okay the part number search I did was incorrect. My bad translation skills I was using the part number for the front turn signals. Some thing about not being able to read Japanese messed me up. I did go back out to the shop with a Japanese speaker to translate for me. So far all we can find for the truck folks is an all clear lens. The price on those is YEN 8,200 so some where around $82.00 I am not going to get into issues of legal or not.
The shop is checking for a 50/50 option but they do not think that any one is making them. Until just this spring in Japan all clear with the correct color bulb was legal but that did change.

Dragon