Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My first 4Runner MOD!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dibble9012
i agreee, thats the only thing holding me back from getting the camry unit, having to cut into the surround, as you can see behind the dash from an angle. I was thinking of going to a kenwood excelron, but I like the stock look/features better.
When the unit closed you can't see anything "behind" the dash. It's looks amazing.... plus you'll cut the opening yourself with a dremel. You'll know what's there, anyone else who gets in your Runner is just going to notice the NAV if you do a good job. I've not had one person who doesn't know car notice that this wasn't even an option for 3rd gen 4Runners.. hell it even fools some Toyota people. Don't let this be the reason to hold back, you won't even notice any gaps or anything.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:21 AM

i think you would probably still have a gap between the surround and the faceplate (where the cd slots are) it looks like the cd slot plate is recessed. correct me if im wrong, ive never seen one of these units in person.
The CD and MAP slots are behind the face.... of course they are recessed, the face is like 1/2 inch thick. Mine looks exactly the same as it would installed OEM in a Camry or Lexus ES300. If you want more pics I'll be happy to take some.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by aowRS
Is the problem that you have to slip the stereo surround over the NAV screen to install? And because of that, the opening needs to be opened up to allow for the width of the NAV screen?

How about disconnecting the actual screen, installing the surround, and then re-installing the screen? Too complicated? Or is it a depth issue?

Andreas

That would be impossible.. and there is no gap between the unit and the screen so you'd have to cut it to the screen size regardless. It's a mute point, you won't even notice it.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
The CD and MAP slots are behind the face.... of course they are recessed, the face is like 1/2 inch thick. Mine looks exactly the same as it would installed OEM in a Camry or Lexus ES300. If you want more pics I'll be happy to take some.
I know they are behind the screen, I meant recessed between the surround, as in there is a gap between the surround and the cd slot plate. Your installs do look great. Is there an option to output video and sound? Would it support two screens on headrests with headphone outlets? Just wondering cause it would be cool to add screens later on, certainly not a big deal if it doesnt.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Rearview, Can you snap some pics on angles like this with the screen closed?

I am trying to understand this, I just woke up and may be still groggy, but you have to cut the stock opening when the stock radio comes out to fit the screen?

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 03-11-2005 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

you see the screen section (folded down in that pic), the hole you have to cut has to be that size/shape. you only have to widen the hole, the nav headunit is the same height
Old 03-11-2005, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

So a Dremmel will make quick work of that. In this pic it doesn't look kike it sits flush, but on top of tall that plastic
Old 03-11-2005, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

I sent an e-mail to OEMValue at 7:30 this morn. Still no reply. Thats one reason I hate buying stuff over the net, too long to respond and too long in the mail. I want it right then and there even if I am not going to install it for a week. When I went to look for the Eclipse radio, I bought a dog the first time I went and a new TV the second time.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

I have not ordered from OEMVALUE.com, but the one time I did email them, it did take a long time to respond. I know many people have been happy with them, and i will probably order from them when the time comes
Old 03-11-2005, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

I have not ordered from OEMVALUE.com, but the one time I did email them, it did take a long time to respond. I know many people have been happy with them, and i will probably order from them when the time comes
Probably order from them? I looked all over the net and they are the only place that has it. Besides maybe a dealer. Be nice for a group buy. Make it an even $1,600 w/ S+H included.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
So a Dremmel will make quick work of that. In this pic it doesn't look kike it sits flush, but on top of tall that plastic
If you notice.. i have my NAV tilted out in that pic, hence the gap on top. It has 3 tilt settings. Otherwise it looks .
Old 03-11-2005, 10:03 AM

I sent an e-mail to OEMValue at 7:30 this morn. Still no reply. Thats one reason I hate buying stuff over the net, too long to respond and too long in the mail. I want it right then and there even if I am not going to install it for a week. When I went to look for the Eclipse radio, I bought a dog the first time I went and a new TV the second time.
Troy @ OEMvalue is really nice. He answered all my questions and was very helpful when I was nervous about the install. I'd buy from him anytime. Mine got to TX in 3 days.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:05 AM

Rearview, Can you snap some pics on angles like this with the screen closed?

I am trying to understand this, I just woke up and may be still groggy, but you have to cut the stock opening when the stock radio comes out to fit the screen?
Send me your email address and i'll send them to you. Yes.. the NAV is about 3/4 inch bigger than the stock radio so you have to cut a little on each side. I can assure, you when it's done no one will even notice.. I don't even notice. It blends in so well. If you worried pay a stereo shop $100 to modify it for you.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

Send me your email address and i'll send them to you. Yes.. the NAV is about 3/4 inch bigger than the stock radio so you have to cut a little on each side. I can assure, you when it's done no one will even notice.. I don't even notice. It blends in so well. If you worried pay a stereo shop $100 to modify it for you.
Thank you. I'll PM you in a sec with the addy. I don't think I will ever sell the truck so therefore I am not concerned at all about cutting the stuff up. It's just that if the radio craps out, I'll put the stocker back in and have the gap. Get me?
Old 03-11-2005, 10:09 AM

And if helps anyone.. after having a NAV in LandCruiser and M3 I was kinda sad that the 4Runner didn't have one, I used to miss my old cars so much, but what I really missed was the NAV units.. I am directionally challenged.. you see some of the advanced Navigation features these 2005's have. It's amazing the amount detail they have taken now. It's never led me astray yet, and I learn routes through my own town that i didn't even know about. ... Perhaps the best thing about it is this.... even when it's not navigating it's constantly scrolling a very detailed map. Well Austin doesn't have streets signs in so many places so downtown i know exactly what cross streets i'm at. It's amazing. Helps even more when i go to Houston or Dallas where I have no clue where to go. I can't be bothered with asking directions, and I actually go more places now because I can just punch it in..... Be careful though, my g/f was going through it one day asking what some of the addresses were!
Old 03-11-2005, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

The cutting... Is that the only thing out of the ordinary as far as fitment? How do you know what package you need? I don't think I have any type of premium sounds in there as stock. What came with your package?
HU, NAV sofware, any add ons/hideable items?
Old 03-11-2005, 10:22 AM

The cutting... Is that the only thing out of the ordinary as far as fitment? How do you know what package you need? I don't think I have any type of premium sounds in there as stock. What came with your package?
HU, NAV sofware, any add ons/hideable items?
My 2000 Limited had the JBL amp in it so I got package #2. If you're in doubt you can get the amp that Troy offers, either way it's all plug and play except the speed and reverse wires, which you need to tap. I used some 3M vampire taps and it worked great. The cutting is the only nerve racking part! Because you can't reverse it.. take your time, drink beer and dremel away.. I'll help you with this if you help me with HID's.

Mine came w/ HU, GPS antenna, NAV map, and owner's manual.

Last edited by rearviewmirror; 03-11-2005 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

I'll help you with this if you help me with HID's.

Mine came w/ HU, GPS antenna, NAV map, and owner's manual.
What do you want to know bout the HID's? Can you get to the YT chat?
Old 03-11-2005, 10:38 AM

What do you want to know bout the HID's? Can you get to the YT chat?
What is that?

If you on AIM or Yahoo my SN is m3rearviewmirror.

I sent you an email w/ the pics too..
Old 03-11-2005, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
you won't even notice any gaps or anything.

Then you don't know me too well...

I am so close to just ordering one.

Andreas

Quick Reply: My first 4Runner MOD!!!!