YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2004, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

MAF Sensor, Clean or Replace???

At 60K miles, dealers says this is giving me the CEL. He said cleaning not recommended but I`ve read a few threads here that people are doing it. They called me and said it`s in so should I pay the $160. for the part or clean it?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Offroad Solutions Manual Hubs kit
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-27-2004, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to superjoe83
you can always try cleaning it, what do you have to lose, why pay 160, when you can try to clean it for a few bucks
1984 SR5 4runner, 22re, 5-speed, chevy 63"s, rears up front custom pack, BBCS shocks, 2" BL, 5.29's, welded rear, Detroit in front, Longfields, IFS Rear, 39.5x13.50x15 IROK's, Marlin's High Steer, MC07 with stock cases, Marlin's cross member, tube bumper, Warn XD9000, Allied Beadlocks
1999 Taco 2.7 5-speed, LCE Header, Jardine 2.25 Cat-Back, 3" Downey Coilover, 33x13.5 Toyo MT's, ARB Bull Bar, Retrofitted Acura TL HID Projectors with 50W ballasts and 50W DL50 Philips 3900k bulbs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-27-2004, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Go get some electrical contact cleaner. Clean it up, replace/change/clean air filter, reset code and drive. If it happens again, then clena it again. There is no sense in spending the money if you can fix it yourself. I have cleaned mine several times and had no problems.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sponsoring Member
Vendor Sales Rating: (0)

Ditto on the "clean it"... But,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy
At 60K miles, dealers says this is giving me the CEL.
What's the code? If you don't have a reader, a parts shop should be able to read it for you.
'96 4Runner Limited S/C MI - 370cc injectors, Air! horns, Airaid MIT, ATS A-arms, 285/75/R16 BFG MTs, Bored TB, Brembo slotted, Cobra 75 WXST, Deckplate, Downey headers, Hayden cooler, IPT valve body, Level 10 torque convertor, Meanstreak exhaust, OME/OME rears, On-board PC (XM, Nav, WiFi, etc), Port 'n Polish, Remote Start, SAW fronts, Hilux console, SMT-5, Stubb's sliders, Supra MAF, TJM-17, 2.0" pulley, Viair 450c, Walbro 190, Weasy2k cams
Old 12-27-2004, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwall
Ditto on the "clean it"... But,

What's the code? If you don't have a reader, a parts shop should be able to read it for you.
I know....I didn`t get the code. He showed me the reader and it said running lean. I forgot to ask for the code. I`m going to clean it tomorrow when it`s not raining outside. Thanks for the advise
Old 12-27-2004, 05:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to MTL_4runner
Quote:
I know....I didn`t get the code. He showed me the reader and it said running lean. I forgot to ask for the code. I`m going to clean it tomorrow when it`s not raining outside. Thanks for the advise
They should give you the code no problem.
I would try to clean it as well (it is very easy to do) and replace if the CEL stays.

1996 4Runner SR5 4X4 Auto

Deckplate Mod, Hayden Tranny Cooler, Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift

Best OBD II scan tool I have used!.

.....and I am AMERICAN!
Old 12-27-2004, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Clean it. Throw away your K&N filter that is charged with oil. Replace with a Toyota stock filter. No more problem.

'02 BMW R1150RT. Makes everyone jealous when I pull up for gas. Awesome bike. Next one is a GS. Sorry Toyota.

'95 4Runner LIMITED 4WD, 5-SPEED, over a quarter million miles on the original 3vze.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhayduke
Clean it. Throw away your K&N filter that is charged with oil. Replace with a Toyota stock filter. No more problem.
Ok, today I cleaned it. Canceled the new MAF sensor order. Hopefully this will do it. I can`t throw the K&N away as I have the Filter Charger system not the replacement filter. Thanks for the advise everyone.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Contributing Member

By the way, here's one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Buy a stock airbox from someone who has just put a filtercharger on. The oiled K&N deposits oil on everything in the intake and it lets more dust in to boot. Research it here and on the web. The evidence ain't in K&N's favor.

'02 BMW R1150RT. Makes everyone jealous when I pull up for gas. Awesome bike. Next one is a GS. Sorry Toyota.

'95 4Runner LIMITED 4WD, 5-SPEED, over a quarter million miles on the original 3vze.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

So what is up with the million mile warranty??
Old 12-28-2004, 11:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

ooooooohhh, ya thats it--- yur right. The filtercharger thingamajig actually causes a loss in horsepower and increase in noise. Not surprisingly an increase in electrical part failure too... I ditched mine long ago when experimenting with the SC, ur better off just cutting the front out of the airbox and putting a stock filter in there. A small side effect is that your truck will have more power then.

T
Old 12-28-2004, 11:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

I remember replacing that big-`ole airbox and thought to myself I shouldn`t dump it, but I did. This is long before I got involved here. That day I thought the FIPK is the ˟˟˟˟, I mean I had it in my 92 Toy pup and compared to the Downey headers it was the biggest HP improvement I did. So I surely assumed it would make a big difference in the runner. Well, after getting this dirty MAF prob and the many hate threads about K&N, what is one to do w/o the stock airbox. Tell me where can I find a cheap airbox on-line???
Old 12-29-2004, 01:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to MTL_4runner
Quote:
Tell me where can I find a cheap airbox on-line???
No worries man, at least you know how to cure the problem.
Do you guys have any local boneyards on the islands?
.....airbox and MAF can come from a Taco or 4runner 1999-2002

1996 4Runner SR5 4X4 Auto

Deckplate Mod, Hayden Tranny Cooler, Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift

Best OBD II scan tool I have used!.

.....and I am AMERICAN!
Old 12-29-2004, 07:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
No worries man, at least you know how to cure the problem.
Do you guys have any local boneyards on the islands?
.....airbox and MAF can come from a Taco or 4runner 1999-2002
Yes we do, will search
Old 12-29-2004, 12:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hey, Jboy I might need a new MAF to. If you come across one for the 97 let me know. When I get a chance to check the junk yard here on Oahu for mine and yours. Its funny everytime I go they have nothing for the 4runners
Old 12-31-2004, 06:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Just about everyone here hates the K&N. But i've gotta say, I 've had mine in for about 70,000 miles and haven't had a problem. I think it lies with overcleaning it and using too much oil.

Just added...Bilstein shocks and TRD Springs....Still waiting for a raise!
Old 12-31-2004, 08:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey
Just about everyone here hates the K&N. But i've gotta say, I 've had mine in for about 70,000 miles and haven't had a problem. I think it lies with overcleaning it and using too much oil.
I live in the desert, which means lots of dust. A mining company ran a test using K&N filters and had their oil analyzed over a period of time and compared the results to a stock paper filter. The K&N vehicle had more silica (sandy dust) than the paper element vehicle. Since I keep my vehicles practically forever, I tossed my K&N that I had on the '95. Hold yours up to the sky on a clear sky day. You'll see pinholes through the guaze. Where you see pinholes of light, dust is going to sneak through.

When I got my '99 4Runner the original owner had installed a K&N filter (with the K&N, "do not throwaway" sticker on the airbox) that the dealer had removed and had replaced with a stock filter element. The 4Runner got 17.4 mpg on the first tank. I changed the plugs, cleaned the MAF, cleaned the TB and mileage jumped to 20 intown.

K&N is in the business to sell filters. In my 46 years, I've been promised everything from whiter teeth to "this is gonna hurt me more than it's gonna hurt you." K&N does it with smoke and mirrors like most of the companies in the world. Take it from a former advertising man. It's all a bunch of hooey. They tell you what you want to hear.

However, with the power of the web now, we can compare notes, post reviews and avoid getting taken. Do a little research. It's well worth your time (and money).

Old 07-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #18 (permalink)

I don't believe these claims of gas mileage. I've never seen a 4runner get more than 18 on the highway, and I've had 3 of them. My dads single cab shortbed taco with the 2.7 doesn't even get that much, so I'm gonna have to call BS.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #19 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Even though this thread is 7 years old, I'll chime in and agree with you. I have owned 2 4runners and my two best friends have Tacoma's and we all get 16 to 18 on average.

1996 4x4 3.4L SR5 4Runner -- SOLD

6" IFS lift * Front: Tundra TRD Coils/Bilstein 5125 * Rear: FJ80 Shocks/Coils * ARB Bull Bar + Warn M8000 * 35" MTR's * HID's * OBA * E-locked!
Old 07-12-2011, 03:34 AM   #20 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Amazing how these old threads crop up from time to time. I still have the '99 and it still gets 20 mpg in town and 22 on the highway with summer gas. Awesome vehicle. Tell your buddies they should have gotten a manual transmission.

Edit: 165,000 miles now, and no oil burning.

Last edited by gwhayduke; 07-12-2011 at 03:36 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:34 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
3vze, 4runner, 94, air, clean, cleaning, cobra, flow, kn, maf, mass, sensor, tl, toyota, trucks