Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

- Looking Into Toyotas, Help Appreciated -

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow - Looking Into Toyotas, Help Appreciated -

Hi all!

I am looking at getting either a 2nd or 3rd gen 4-Runner or Taco (3rd obviously).

I looked into the FAQ section, I know that I should try to get one with a lockind differential.

Are there any other things to be concerned about or check out on a 3rd gen Toyota?

Thanks in advance,

Nathaniel
Old 05-01-2003, 01:45 PM

Sorry, I don't have any knowledge of the 3rd Gens. But I do know a little about the 2nds. And if I had to do it again I'd go 3rd. Bigger and better engine.
Good luck and welcome to the board.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

Hey! Welcome to the forum!

In my opinion, if you can afford the extra $$ get a 3rd gen. I have a 2nd gen and love it, but the 3rd gen has more power (plus you can get a supercharger) and, like you said, an e-locker (which you can't get on a 2nd gen unless you go aftermarket). Plus the 3rd gen looks better (a tad bit) and has a few more doo-dads.

If you look at a 2nd gen with the 3.0, see if the head gasket has been replaced. Toyota has a recall going on it, so that's something you may want to look into also.

Either way you go, Toyotas are awesome trucks. I will be looking for another when the time comes.

Well, have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 05-01-2003, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome, and thanks for searching first.

I would go for a 3rd gen if you can swing it. The early model 3.4's had recalls, so you will want to run the VIN first to make sure they have been done, or are eligible. Just because it needs or has had a recall done on the Head Gaskets does not mean its going to be a bad truck. Take my 96 for example, which had the headgaskets and rear coils replaced just after I bought it in Feb of 03, for free.

So, for 3rd gens I would look for the following things in addition to normal used vehicle inspections:

Rear coil sag (may be covered under recall)

Headgasket problem (seemed to only effect the early model 3.4's, like 95 - 97)

Water pumps (these 3.4's seem to eat water pumps, not sure why)

Good luck and keep us posted on what you get.
Old 05-01-2003, 05:05 PM

Water pumps being eaten....Really?? I haven't heard that one yet. Just out of curiosity how much do they cost? Ah!!! Don't tell me they run off the timing belt too
Old 05-02-2003, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Mikey
Water pumps being eaten....Really?? I haven't heard that one yet. Just out of curiosity how much do they cost? Ah!!! Don't tell me they run off the timing belt too
In both my previous Toyota 3.4's, a 98 and now a 96, the water pump has been replaced due to leaking at under 50K miles. Maybe its my luck, or maybe its a design flaw on some vehicles.

I think it actually runs off the fan pulley. Not sure of the timing belt would have to come off to replace it.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
In both my previous Toyota 3.4's, a 98 and now a 96, the water pump has been replaced due to leaking at under 50K miles. Maybe its my luck, or maybe its a design flaw on some vehicles.

I think it actually runs off the fan pulley. Not sure of the timing belt would have to come off to replace it.
My family has owned 3 3.4 equipped 4Runners. The 96 had about 60k on the clock when it met its demise and my 99 has 47K. Not sure what my mom has on her 2001. None of them ever had the water pump replaced....

No, you definately don't need to remove the timing belt for the water pump....
Old 05-02-2003, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

sorry to diagree

I have to disagree with most of the posts here to date if you can find one go with a second gen. They were made in Japan for the world wide market and in talking to people and my mechanic they are just more reliable and a lot more capable out of the box then the 3rd gen. when they started to be built in the US specifically for the NA market (sorry guys) the US ones just are'nt as good in my opinion...yes the 3.0 is a little slow but a few low buck mods will perk it up wonderfully. I've got to cast my vote for the second and first gen. models...Cheers Aviator
Old 05-02-2003, 09:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nathaniel,

Having owned a 99 and now driving a 98, I can vouch for both. I'd say that I like the 98 better b/c it didn't have that annoying Fuel gauge problem. Oh, also, the 98 is a 5-speed 4wd.

As others have mentioned, the early 3rd gens (96-97) had some issues. If you are looking for a comprehensive list of problems (to which there are relatively few in comparison to, say, a Ford Exploder), go to http://www.alldata.com. Run through all the years if you're really bored.

Aviator: not sure how reliable your source of info is. All 4runners continue to be made in the Taraha plant in Japan. Last I checked, the 4Runner and the Land Cruiser are the only Toyota vehicles still manufactured in Japan.

Fremont/NUMMI plant = Tacomas and Corollas
Kentucky and Indiana plants = Camrys, Avalons and Tundras

I don't know where the Sienna is built, but I imagine its either the Kentucky or Indiana plant b/c its built on a Camry platform.

Bob
Old 05-02-2003, 11:51 AM

Third gens have a nicer engine. 5 speeds are rare and towards the end of production the 5 speed was phased out. The TRD supercharger is sweet. Front suspension has coil springs and thus requires new springs or spacers for lift. The ride is plusher than a 2nd gen. There is a factory option locker available but it is somewhat rare.

2nd gens are underpowered but are a little easier on the pocketbook. You can lift the front about 1-1.5" just by cranking the torsion bars. The rear has a tailgate instead of a hatch. 5 speed transmissions are more common. The e-locker from a 3rd gen can be retrofitted.

I picked a 2nd gen because it had all the options I wanted. I didn't want leather interior but did want every other option. Also, I thought the 3rd gens I drove were a little too carlike but of course once the sway bars are disconnected it is very capable off-road. Also, I wanted manual hubs which are an easy conversion on a 2nd gen but very expensive for a 3rd gen.

Eventually I will install an ARB or e-locker in mine and may put in a 3.4 but I'd rather have a diesel.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

hey bob i was talking about the pick-ups...Sorry if i offended any surf/4runner drivers. Aviator