Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Looking into a new mod, need some PhotoCHOPING ASSISTANCE?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking into a new mod, need some PhotoCHOPING ASSISTANCE?

Hey guys, I'm looking into painting all my LTD cladding, flares and chrome rear bumper with black Herculiner. I was going to splurge for some of the UV protected Duraback in a smooth white finish to go for the really clean look but at almost $150 a gallon it's a big bite to take on something bound to take more hits.

What I'm in need of is for someone to take the picture of my truck below and show me what it would look like if all the silver cladding and rear bumper were black, and I knwo some of you guys are really good with this stuff, if it's possible make it look textured a bit. Just curious how rough of a look I would end up with. Thanks in advance guys.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:58 PM

i gave it a try could be alot better if i was a school and had the right programs
Attached Thumbnails Looking into a new mod, need some PhotoCHOPING ASSISTANCE?-sideshot.jpg  
Old 07-31-2006, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Its a Taco, but you can read up on Tanto's experience

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/herculined-few-things-today-83786/
Old 07-31-2006, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

Black wheels?

Oh, and here is the thread I started after I herculined my 4R. Page two has a side shot.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:31 PM

go linex its probably about 200 for all of that to be done but there is a lifetime warranty and the hurculiner well theres not a warranty and it sucks as people have found out. You can pick what grit (how smooth) you want linx too. I had my rock slider on my old truck linex and they would dent and bend and the stuff didnt come off. The line ex by far out lasted the sliders. I wouldnt recomend the hurculiner most people say it peels off in less than a month.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:47 PM

I see people get quoted over $400 for bumpers, flares and rockers from the Line-X people. It's great stuff, but pricey. I looked into doing that on my 4runner but I ended up with the stupid duplicolor. I guess it's cheap enough that I can re-do the whole thing about 30 times as compared to the line-x.
I bet it's cheaper when it's prepped already, I forgot about that.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yuck. Not wild about it.

Is your rig all scratched up now that you need a Line-X type product?
Old 07-31-2006, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by neilan
the hurculiner well theres not a warranty and it sucks as people have found out...I wouldnt recomend the hurculiner most people say it peels off in less than a month.
C'mon man, back your claims up with facts, not hearsay.

There are a bunch of us running Herculiner in low-wear areas (such as bumpers, grills, and fender trim with no problems at all.

Line-X is going to cost a pretty penny.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys, for the feedback and the Photochopping, It actually looks better than I thought. I'm thinking I might do it very soon, before I head off to Tellico and give it a thrashing. And Yes Cebby my flares and cladding are that scared up, I get into some pretty messy situations in Tellico, The Drivers side is a mess,I've layed it down on the door panels and flares a couple of times, then kept on going and tore scares down the whole silver area.

I'm a little worried about the durrability, but for the most part nothing really hits those areas unless I get crazy, in which case I could always just touch up.

Any other input or real world experiances with the rocker panels and lower portions getting Hurculined, help a fellow YT guy out.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Our Runners look almost identicle.

I think if you do the propper prep it will be fine. One of the reasons Ryan had some not a lot of pealing issues was the prep and his went on un painted plastic.

I say go for it if you like that look. One thing I have noticed on Tanto's (Ryan) rig is that it looks gray after a few off roading trips and I cannotthink of how to clean it.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
One thing I have noticed on Tanto's (Ryan) rig is that it looks gray after a few off roading trips and I cannotthink of how to clean it.
This happened to me too. I fixed it by spraying on some paint shine and using a soft-bristled scrub-brush to get in the texture. It shined right up. Pass the word.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:29 PM

Ok, so...I'm a bit late but I couldn't resist the calling. Sorry

Old 07-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

With the material used in those fender flares, I would imagine that it would peel just as bad my flares did. Herculiner just doesn't bond to that plastic well - heck, just sand coming off my wheels scrubbed it back down to the plastic in no time. There is spraypaint made for plastic that will help maintain that black look.

FWIW when something scratches Herculiner, it PEELS.

One of these days, I'm going to take a disc grinder and get all the herculiner off my truck and then have it Line-X'd. Might as well do it right the first time.

Oh, and if you do use the herculiner, you'll want to buy some black spraypaint to cover the spaces around the doors or else that white paint will show and make it look even worse. You don't have to worry about that with Line-X but you may have to tell them not to mask the edges of the door.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
This happened to me too. I fixed it by spraying on some paint shine and using a soft-bristled scrub-brush to get in the texture. It shined right up. Pass the word.
A steam pressure washer works good too!

Also, the Herculiner is a PAIN to work with because you definitely want gloves when working with it. It requires more work for prep than it does to actually touch something up that makes it a pita as far as I'm concerned. Especially when an estuary is nearby and any chemical that touches pavement could land you a steep fine

Last edited by Tanto; 07-31-2006 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

I might have to go in on that project with you Scott...I figure all my cladding will end up like the driver's side rear door will anyways (bitten by a rock)
Old 08-01-2006, 05:18 AM
Contributing Member

Rob if you want to go in on this with me, just let me know. I think a good amount of prep work will help. Also I plan on adding a clear coat to the finish to hopefully protect the fading. The guy with the huge 80 that lives around the corner from me did his entire front fenders in this stuff, so he'll have a good idea of what's going on. Just let me know bud, I'd like to know it out before Tellico.

I just don't have the $$$ to Line-X everything, if I prep it or not, it's still a minor fortune when your boke and in collge, money doesn't just free up for stuff liek this.

nick-m that looks really good, the lines turned out clean and it looks textured, thanks man, but what exactly is that graphic you added, is that a Heep? .
Old 08-01-2006, 05:34 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you don't have the money to do it right the first time, then why not leave it alone until you DO have the money?

right now, they're only scratched. if you botch it, then you'll have to go thru the fun task of stripping it all off w/o harming your paint on the remaining sheetmetal, then spending the cash to put line-x on it anyway.

my vote is to save your milk money (ok, beer money) and line-x it the first go-around, if that is what you really want.

also, if you want to do something NOW, then you can always mask everything off and paint it with some flavor of rustoleum. at least that way, when you get scratched, you can touch it up yourself...

Last edited by bamachem; 08-01-2006 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:51 AM

Can you get Line-X in different colors? I'd LOVE to Line-X the bottom of my door panels, but I'd want to keep them white. They're currently checkered with random rock chips, etc.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

You can, but colors are generally more expensive. Also, color-matching is difficult.

Originally Posted by OutdoorLiving
Can you get Line-X in different colors? I'd LOVE to Line-X the bottom of my door panels, but I'd want to keep them white. They're currently checkered with random rock chips, etc.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
if you don't have the money to do it right the first time, then why not leave it alone until you DO have the money?
Right on the money as always!

Quick Reply: Looking into a new mod, need some PhotoCHOPING ASSISTANCE?