Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

long trips in a second gen

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Longest trip I've taken was 500 miles...and that was with a bad knock sensor....The thing is a tank....all you need is your AAA card and a credit card. Enjoy it!!!

Oh PS I do 120 mile trips each way regularly.

Originally Posted by slow_xc_star
so i might have to take this 150 mile trip north soon. I am scerd to drive my second gen 170k mile 4Runner. i do not drive it much out of my town. maybe once or twice a month i drive it 50 miles to another city. about a week ago i drove on the interstate at about 70 for probably 15 miles...first time i have done that, usually its no more than 60 to wherever i go. Part of this trip is on the interstate so about 70 miles will be going 65mph. Think it will be ok? i have not had any probs with my truck while driving, but a couple times when i stop at a light it died or my rpms would idle really low like 3-5 hundred and then jump a little and die. or i stop somewhere and turn off my engine and when i leave it will start up and the rpms will jump and then die immediatley or they will just jump really low for 5 seconds and then die...its weird

Last edited by ctcost; 10-10-2004 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:48 PM

3VZE is one of the most reiliable older engines there is. Just a pain to work on, and with power output of a 4 cylinder. Still, that has nothing to do with reliablility. Any engine/vehile can break. Heck, even a healthy athletic person in their 20s could have a hidden heart defect and drop dead any minute. Anything can happen, but what is likely to happen, that is the question.

Think of all the 3vzes out there.. most of them probably have close to or more than 200k by now with nothing more than regular maintenance. Specifically for your trip, make sure that your timing belt has been replace within recommended period, all other belts are checked or new, air filter, spark plugs, cap, wires, fuel filter and thermostat are either recent or new. Test your battery too, especially if it is older. Batteries tend to have a life limited to a few years and die at the wrong time. Just run a common sense check over all maintenance items. if they are all OK, chances are you will be OK.

I would much rather be on a long trip in a maintained Toyota regardless of miles on odometer, than, say, in a recent Doodge. Can you say "Derango transmissions going at at 20k miles?"
Old 10-10-2004, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Just did a 5000 mile round trip in Jul-Aug, solo vehicle trip and the '85 did fine (turned 260k miles on the trip). About 1000 miles of that was on dirt roads and ended up breaking a shock mount and had my alternator give out. Luckily it happened in that order as my alternator is also my welder and the let me fix the broken shock mount. Carried the stock alt. as a spare and it was swapped out on the side of the road in North Dakota and made it home without any other incidents:

http://c-67-170-224-64.client.comcas.../MN_Trip_2004/
Old 10-10-2004, 09:18 PM

I second the AAA and a credit card.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:18 AM

I have taken a 2800 mile trip in a 88 4Runner that had 215000 miles on odometer and, according to a dealer, had a bad camshaft bearing that made a rattle every time you revved it up. The truck was loaded with gear and towing close to 2000 lbs trailer. I drove it over the Rockies, and averaged 75MPH on flat land. I often put 250+ miles on the truck in less than a day of everyday driving... so when someone is worried about 150 mile trip it makes me smile Some people drive that one way to work every day.. and a lot of people drive it to work roundtrip every day.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:25 AM

I agree, 150 miles is nothing. But if your worried about it get the AAA and a card. If you do break down at least you won't be stranded.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by carose725
i drove mine on a 350 mile trip two weekends in a row to go camping even towing a bass tracker fishing boat. Ran fine the whole way. If your worried do yourself and your truck a favor (TUNER UP). Fresh oil & filter, New plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor button, fuel filter, air filter, pcv valve, and posibly o2 sensor if you dont mind spending a few bucks. then reset your ecu. U should notice a nice change in your engine quality. I did all that when i got mine, and could definately tell a good change. Then drive her anywhere you want.
do you recommend i get all the spares from the dealer?
Old 10-11-2004, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by ken.vs.ryu
do you recommend i get all the spares from the dealer?
Regular maintenance parts, believe it or not, can be better quality aftermarket than from a dealer. Also, they will ALWAYS cost less. Just get good quality stuff, not the lowest end, and there is no need to go to a stealership. I only get OEM parts when there is no choice, but that does not apply to regular maintenance, mostly to some more obscure, rarely replaced parts.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 98 Joes
It is difficult to compare how your rig runs in comparison to others without a basis for the comparison. But, most vehicles that have been maintained and are in good mechanical condition should run about the same. There shouldn't be any odd noises or other indications that it's not right (rods knocking, valve clatter, rough idle, smoking from anywhere, steam escaping). As far as the stuff like starters and alternators is concerned, it's a crap shoot unless you tear them down for an annual inspection. And none of us are probably going to do that. So, how do I base the condition of a vehicle when I'm thinking of buying one. I look at some simple things. look inside the oil cap. Is it cruddy and has alot of carbon from not having the oild changed often enough? Are the tires enenly worn and not bald? Is the interior clean, vacumned and well taken care of? There's many more things you can look at to get an idea of condition. OK, so my thought here is if the stuff I see is well cared for, I can assume that the rest of vehicle is in decent shape also.

Same principals apply to determining if your rig can make the trip to wherever you want to go. If you bought a well maintained vehicle to begin with and you have taken care of it, there is no reason to shy away from a trip. Nothing is going to guarantee that everything will work perfectly everytime. But if you have no troubles with it normally, chances are good you won't have trouble with it on a trip. I don't think that driving 500 miles on the highway makes it any more likely to breakdown, than driving 500 miles over a months time in town.

As I said in an earlier post, I have no problem taking my rig skiing in the winter, a 180 mile round trip, anytime I feel like it and my 4Runner has 188,000 on it.

Well said, and I agree...
Old 10-11-2004, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by outdoorfever
ok so Gabe. or anyone. I have extreme knocking in my 4runner and i know its been covered many times. a lot of ppl say its just the motor. is there something i can do to help the knocking other than higher octane? and i have a grease gun but i could never had the right size fitting for my chassis zerks. what size are they. thanks.

and btw, when i speak of high mileage trips, i am not speaking of 150-300 miles. heck i drove over 1000 miles in about 3 days a few months ago and i wasnt worried. its just a long drive and a lot of patience. oh and i guess hills worry me sometimes. but i know on none of those trips or longer destinations, my a/c is on a minimal amount of time. any suggestions? gabe it sounds like you have a great running 4runner as well as you do Turtle. thanks for the help.

At one time I had a lot of knocking (or in my case pinging)-- now I only run 91 octane, and run a bottle of Techron through every 3 months...so far so good. Also, clean plugs are essential to the performance of your Runner. I keep a really close eye on those. Some cylinders seem to have more carbon buildup than others so you really have to get to know how your runner works. Right know I have the eratic idle at start-up so it's not like I am without problems too (not the throttle body sludge build up). But it's all a process of elimination. This forum has probably saved me thousands of dollars in repairs. Don't be afraid to dive into your engine bay, I just got tired of paying people to do stuff I thought I could do. You'd need a pretty catastrophic engine failure to be left truly stranded, who really can check a head gasket?? If its gonna go, there's no telling, so just maintain what you can and don't worry ! Even with my wierd idle I am confident enough to take her on a road trip this weekend over the Sierra's, all the way into the Nevada badlands hauling 3 dirtbikes on a trailer (got a new toy!! WR426! ) and all my gear. It's about a 5 hour drive with high mountain passes and high desert haul each way!
Old 10-11-2004, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

I had an 89 PU with the 3.0 with 225k on it and that thing would do 85 all day long. I would get that thing tuned up and you should be ready to go. As long as it is running smooth at high rpms you are probably ok.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:01 PM

I miss my ol 1990 3.0 SR5 PU extra Cab 4x4, bought it used 112k on counter, took it every other weekend on 600 mile road/desert trip all the time. All I did was the cheap stuff first , air/gas filters plugs dist cap and new wires. I realy miss driving her. I sold her 5 years later with 265k And this was before I knew about Zerks and grease...oops.. Now I have a 99 4x4 runner that is in need of some Massive road trips! Still 1990 Toyota really knew how to make them run! My hat goes off to them. If you have an idle problem try the filters first dealer is the last place to go. This is the best website! Thanks all for the info, Keep it up
Old 01-18-2006, 03:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by outdoorfever
WTF??? If you regularly maintain your vehicle (not just oil changes) 99.9%of the time your 3.0 will see you there and back safely. Iv'e never once thought "oh I can't go becuase she won't make it". If that is the case, you know you are not maintaining your vehicle properly then of course you should be worried that it will leave your A$$ stranded on the road. Me, I take care of my baby and she takes care of me. Sand, snow, rain, mud you name it--I am fully confident in my 4-runners capability. Just finished the Pismo run 400+ miles round trip in 90 degree weather with AC blasting averaging 78MPH....and I'm alive to tell about it!

here is the problem with that. I have never riden in any other 2nd gen 4runners, thus not really knowing how well it should be running. as far as i am concerned its the best running one out there, or the worst running one out there. however i can tell you that there is no way i could drive that far, in that heat with the a/c on and going that mph. no way. I always have doubts simply because 'i dont know'

does that make sense? i am only 21 and this is the only car i have ever owned. its difficult to judge the performance of something when you dont have anything else to judge it upon. help me if you know what i am sayin.
dood. So long as you maintain the truck these thingsare THE MOST dependable trucks you will EVER buy. Better than any of the diesels on the market including cummins (we own an ISB - arguably the most reliable cummins...)

Mine has 270,000 on my 3.0 with a dying tranny (tranny has been dying for 2 years now). It has either piston slap or a slight bottom end knock - in any event its octane sensative. She drinks oil. She stinks when at operating temp. Sometimes idles wierdly, sometimes idles low. I went on a 400 mile round trip with it last month, zero issues.

You wont have issues either, so long as you do as people here say - check your tps, your ignition system, VAFM, and clean everything out....

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 01-18-2006 at 03:45 AM.