Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

lift body or suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lift body or suspension

hey, I am buying a 2000 4runner pretty soon and am thinking of putting 2.5 inches of suspension lift. I heard this will hurt downtravel some, but if i were to put lets say 2 more inches of body lift on, would that hurt the downtravel any? Does anyone reccomend any certain body lift? Thanks!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2003, 04:20 AM

Lol since nobody's replying to this thread, (and I think I know why) lemme be the first to welcome you to yotatech, and the first to ask you to do a search.

But because I'm a nice friendly yota-techster, I"ll answer your questions for you.

As for the downtravel, don't know what the hell that means, so can't help ya there

For the body lift, best out there is the Roger Brown BL. His tag is 4Crawler on the boards.

As for the susp lift, what type of driving will you do? Will you off-road at all? Or better yet, I"ll just give you some examples

Off-road all the time (and if you want to put a steel bumper in front) - Sway-A-Way (SAWS) adjustable coilovers in front, Old Man Emu (OME) shocks and springs in the rear

occasional off-road once or twice every few months - OME shocks/springs

street driving only - PP 1" lift springs, or cornfed spacers, or daystar lift.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Re: lift body or suspension

Originally posted by MellamoPOUND
hey, I am buying a 2000 4runner pretty soon and am thinking of putting 2.5 inches of suspension lift. I heard this will hurt downtravel some, but if i were to put lets say 2 more inches of body lift on, would that hurt the downtravel any? Does anyone reccomend any certain body lift? Thanks!!!!!!
it won't hurt down travel but it will lower what is called "droop" which is how far the wheel will extend away from the vehicle. what actually happens in the suspension lift is that the shock gets extended by the spacers or longer/stiffer springs, thereby using up some of the available droop. so instead of having 6 inches of droop before, after a 2.5" suspension spacer lift you would only have 3.5" of droop before the shock is fully extended or the suspension is fully flexed/drooped.

It will actually increase down travel since you are sort of "pre-drooping" your suspension.

an example of droop would be if you were to jack-up one side of your front end by the frame until the wheel comes off the ground, that is how far it "droops." basically how far the suspension allows it to hang.

If you were to install longer shocks with the lift that problem would be fixed.

Last edited by keisur; 10-09-2003 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:36 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Chivalrous

Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
Lol since nobody's replying to this thread, (and I think I know why) lemme be the first to welcome you to yotatech, and the first to ask you to do a search.

But because I'm a nice friendly yota-techster, I"ll answer your questions for you.

As for the downtravel, don't know what the hell that means, so can't help ya there

For the body lift, best out there is the Roger Brown BL. His tag is 4Crawler on the boards.

As for the susp lift, what type of driving will you do? Will you off-road at all? Or better yet, I"ll just give you some examples

Off-road all the time (and if you want to put a steel bumper in front) - Sway-A-Way (SAWS) adjustable coilovers in front, Old Man Emu (OME) shocks and springs in the rear

occasional off-road once or twice every few months - OME shocks/springs

street driving only - PP 1" lift springs, or cornfed spacers, or daystar lift.
WELCOME to Yotatech Noob! Enjoy the forum and get ready to say goodbye to your VISA!

Rob,

It just does my heart good to see you being so nice and helpful even! :cry:

Brian
Old 10-09-2003, 09:38 AM

hey, thanks for the info! I was already planning a getting a SAW OME suspension, but i guess what your saying, is if i do that suspension lift, and i do some body lift, my downward travel would be really good? Thanks
Old 10-09-2003, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

Re: .

Originally posted by MellamoPOUND
hey, thanks for the info! I was already planning a getting a SAW OME suspension, but i guess what your saying, is if i do that suspension lift, and i do some body lift, my downward travel would be really good? Thanks
no.

a body lift will not affect anything that has to do with your suspension height or travel (droop).
Old 10-09-2003, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: .

Originally posted by RTdawgs
no.

a body lift will not affect anything that has to do with your suspension height or travel (droop).
it will just make more clearance to avoid rubbing while downward travelling.