Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

LCD screen in cupholder.. just a thought

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LCD screen in cupholder.. just a thought

Alright in my fight against bordum between classes I got to thinking.. and please let me know if anyone think this might be possible since I haven't done a whole lot of research on it.

I was thinking.. wouldn't it be cool to pull the cupholder out in a 2nd gen and then push it up and there be a lcd screen there. I don't think it would be that hard if you had all the supplies to do it and could possibly find a lcd screen thin enough to fit in that spot with some hinges (even go through the effort for it to have the cupholder bezel on it so that it looked like it was factory).

I mean I thought it would be cool to be totally stealth and actually a spiffy little mod to try out over the winter. I've thought about this because I'm wanting to do another carputer setup like I did in my mustang just more elaborate, but I don't want to worry about it being too flashy... I like stealth.

Anyone have any comments, ideas or input on this?
Old 10-02-2003, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

that sounds like an awesome idea. i would worry about winter time though, when it's cold out and you're blasting heat through the vents. since they're right above the cupholder area your dream display might become very hot.

other than that.. sounds like a really good idea.. i'd like to see a writeup!
Old 10-02-2003, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

Well, it'd be a while since I don't have the funding because of other projects in progress. I will be doing quite a bit of research on it though.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent, I've had the same idea myself...
Those cupholders only seem to leave my dash with a sticky mess after a drink goes flying when I hit a bump :pat:

Stealth is good, so you could leave the bezel in place and the screen would either fall down as you pull it out, or it could pop up and even swivel!

I did have a good look around at LCD screens on the internet but most seem to be from companies I'd never heard of before. I started chasing up some Toshiba (I think) panels that are ready to go for either s-video or vga but at this stage a project like this isn't quite priority for me.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

not a priority here either just a thought.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Regarding displays, when I tried the "PC in the truck" concept, I bought one of these:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=4709&DID=7

It's a GREAT display, VERY clear.

Good luck!
Old 10-02-2003, 08:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hey krash,

great minds think alike! i recently purchased an entire center radio panel and i could fit my garmin streetfinder gps in the area where the a/c vents are. the major problem though, would be to create some ducting system, re-route them, and finding a suitable location and vent somewhere in the 4runner.

if you have any idea, let's hear it.

bob
Old 10-02-2003, 08:06 PM

I can see an add on DVD player fit in that slot with some cutting and bracketry made. Hook the DVD player up to the receiver and there ya go.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:12 PM

I was testing the waters for this a while back...

Lookie here...

I think you can do this by cannabalizing a normal single DIN mounted unit and stripping the mechanism, motor, and screen. To make it work, you could take the circuit board and mount it remotely - unless you can isolate the circuit that controls the motorization and replicate it.

It would be awesome, but A LOT of work.

Instead, I think I'm going to mount a monitor in my instrument cluster like the Pacifica (I already have a digital gauge set from Dakota Digital to do this )
Old 10-02-2003, 08:17 PM

I've wanted to take this a step way further. Keep in mind this idea came to me a while back, so I haven't looked up another computer, this was my idea at the time.

I wanted to cut the top of my dash open, and drop a Fujitsu life book in the opening. Then take the piece that you removed, and put hinges on it at the rear, so that your dash opens up, at the same time pulling the screen up. It wouldn't be too easy to access the keys, so you'd need an extra keyboard and mouse. And of course you would have to be able to lift the computer out a couple of inches to switch CD/DVD's. But for the price you couldn't beat it. At the time, the Lifebook had a DVD/CDburner, a decent processor and lots of ram. The HD was about 20 gig and it was well under a $1,000. So put all your MP3's on it and hook it up to your stereo. Watch movies, access all your music, whatever you want.

But now I'm kinda moving out of the stereo/video stuff and more into performance toys.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

I'd like to see that thought come to fruition

Up until about a year ago, I was seriously thinking about placing an LCD screen in the empty pocket below the DIN. The LCD would have been used to display readings from an HKS C.A.M.P., a computerized gauge system. The system can monitor water temperature, oil pressure, fuel pressure etc. But, when I thought about the cost of the components, I decided not to. I realized it would be cheaper to buy a bunch of Autometer gauges. Now, I have a shelf full of brand new, uninstalled gauges and an empty pocket below my DIN.

*sigh* Dang that would have looked cool.
Old 10-03-2003, 03:55 AM
Contributing Member

See I was thinking about using this

Link here

Just because it has a low profile being that its only 7/8" thick. I like the Idea of it coming out and flipping down. Too bad I don't have 160$ to throw around on a monitor. Flipping it down wouldn't bother me too much though flipping it up and out of the way would be nice just have to worry about the vents and if I have 6" to play with behind the cupholder. I do have a bonus coming up that was going to pay for some warn fender flares.

EDIT: Heh anyone need any parts offa a 2wd truck (shameless plugg).
Old 10-03-2003, 05:52 AM

I've got an idea and it wouldn't require a motor... let's say that when your cup holder is closed the monitor is flat, facing up. When you pull the cup holder out, the monitor drops down with the hinge being on the side closest to the dash? This way, your monitor would not be blocking the top vents. I'm not sure how your tacoma is setup, but in my 3rd Gen 4Runner, this would be perfect accept for blocking the heat/ac controls. I may try and draw/photoshop a drawing tonight...
Old 10-03-2003, 05:55 AM

nevermind, with my cup holder only being 5" wide, I don't think this would work
Old 10-03-2003, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

With single DIN motorized and non-motorized options out there, why would you want to put it in the cupholder area? It would seem that you would need to make more modifications than necessary. How accesible is it to hook up things to it?
Old 10-03-2003, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by sabre
With single DIN motorized and non-motorized options out there, why would you want to put it in the cupholder area?
Cuz it would be cool...

And, after I install my CB, I won't have anyroom in the dash opening. My head unit is integral to the other equipment I have, and it doesn't have a LCD.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

Speaking of couple holders...check out what this guy did with a Tacoma Double Cab...

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ght=cup+holder
Old 10-03-2003, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

OR JUST DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS GUY!! Check the "done" pictures on the 4th post:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ght=cup+holder

Old 10-03-2003, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by PoBoy
OR JUST DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS GUY!! Check the "done" pictures on the 4th post:
[/IMG]
That thing is by far the sickest, most complicated install I've seen. I need to go find my socks...
Old 10-03-2003, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Cebby
That thing is by far the sickest, most complicated install I've seen. I need to go find my socks...
I concur...that is wicked retahded.

<---wants

Quick Reply: LCD screen in cupholder.. just a thought