Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Installing steering rack, brakes and pads myself?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing steering rack, brakes and pads myself?

I just ordered a new steering rack from toyota for 260, new Brembo blanks and Hawk pad for another 167 bucks. OH and I plan on ordering Ride-Rite air helper spring kit too, another 255 dollars. I plan on a camping trip with all the nesessities known to man-kind. Not my choice, I like things simple, My lady "needs" these things and I'm not going to argue.

The reason behind all these purchases is I need to be safe. I need good brakes and steering to control the truck better. MY backend sags when loaded, and I mean loaded, up with camping gear. So i will be buying a air hepler spring kit and installing it my self. ACTUALLY, I will be installing all of this "#^$%".

MY QUESTION IS "AM I INSANE" for doing all this myself. I have not worked on my own brakes in 20 years, it's been 2 to 3 years since I put in new bushings in my steering rack and about 4 years since I replaced my leaf springs. I've done small stuff like Oil changes and all the piddly stuff. But with my bulging disc and achy body I feel I might be in over my head.

SO! am I insane? I plan to do all this work the next weekend and I don't even own any air tools. I'm walking into this venture without a clear idea of what I need to do the job right. I do have a torque wrench, but no torque specs. I have some wrenches, but what sizes, and what kinds? I know I need a Line Wrench of some sorts but what size? Do I need Claws or Pullers? So we're talking another couple hundred bucks for tools. Does money grow on trees?

SO! you think I'm insane? If the answer is yes, I'm cool with that, I still have to get the job done. I was wondering if anyone can offer some insight into my venture, some words of wisdom, a been there and don't do that kind of advice? The little things matter like the special so called anti-squeak grease thats applied the the brake pads. DO they still do that? Thats what I talking about. Things have changed, haven't they?

It all about the details, and THAT my friend is driving me INSANE!!!

Please Help!

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 04-14-2009 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Title clarity per posted sticky
Old 04-14-2009, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
insane-no you got a Yota we'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Loopy maybe- I myself would not attempt much of this but I sit at a desk all day.

Please share with us where to get a new rack for $260. Then we'll decide....

Last edited by Ron Helmuth; 04-14-2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: not sure what his vehicle actually is....
Old 04-14-2009, 01:39 PM
Contributing Member

yep...... oh I need to read it first
lol, just kidding
The proper tools would certainly make things go better

Good luck

Last edited by Shawn6string; 04-14-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if u can, GET AIR! no i dont think ur insane for wanting to save all kinds of money. (labor). go for it man. if anything, if u get hurt, it will give u a reason to kick back on the couch and have your wife bring you food and drinks, cuz u did it for HER.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
insane-no you got a Yota we'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Loopy maybe- I myself would not attempt much of this but I sit at a desk all day.

Please share with us where to get a new rack for $260. Then we'll decide....

This was a reman, reman by toyota themselves. I figure they are using brand new yota parts to reman the rack. I'm certain that it's of a good quality.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the reply's guys! Keep em coming. Any body know the size of wrench the PS lines are. I'm gonna get one of those special wrenches for brake/fuel lines.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Poco444
Thanks for the reply's guys! Keep em coming. Any body know the size of wrench the PS lines are. I'm gonna get one of those special wrenches for brake/fuel lines.
They are called flare or "line" wrenches
Old 04-14-2009, 02:35 PM

Front brakes are easy, probably about 2 hrs with the right tools handy.

The air bags shouldn't be too hard to install. Maybe another 2 hours. If you got the compressor, add another 1-2 hours.

I've never done the steering rack, so I can't say.

Air tools are a big plus, but not necessary.

If you need to buy expensive tools & are short on time, you might find a shop to do it.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saftey,Safety,Saftey first..quality jack and jack stands.
I do all my work at the house w/o air on jack stands.It can be slow going,but I haven't needed air yet...

Everything you described can be done on stands with hand tools.

A couple of tools will help your rack go easier:
Line wrench..I can't remember..size it with one of your existing wrenches..You need to get under there and look.
tie rod ends(connects to inner tie rod)..24mm?
castle nut for tie rods..19mm?

something like this to remove the tie rods:
http://www.amazon.com/OTC-7503-Outer.../dp/B0002SRGTI

Or you can smack it with a BFH..Don't use a pickle fork,will tear up boot.

Make sure you mark the tie rod threads with some touch-up paint before you remove anything ...so you can get them back on close....You will need to get an alighnment so they can set the toe.......Don't forget to ask for a print out of "before and afters" at the shop.

Make sure you have some Nitrile gloves,the lines can get messy...Make sure you have some dex III to put back into steering resevoir...get a few cans of brake cleaner to spray off any messes...

For the brake pads I use copper anti-sieze stuff from wurth,but sli-glide will work fine as well,from NAPA:
http://store.royalenfieldusa.com/med...Glyde-Lube.jpg
Old 04-14-2009, 09:59 PM

Man, that's some good info. I might have to go for some air tools. I have an air compressor that I use to air up my tires. It's a decent one that claims I can run air tools off of it. The compressor hooks up to the trucks battery. Just tonight my Lady was asking me to do her brakes too, oh and her oil change and ah new spark plugs as well. I'm not complaining it's just alot to deal with at the moment. So I might as well get some air tools. I'm air tool illiterate, but I suppose I need something to regulate the pressure to the air tool. Oh and where would I find a decent air tool. I did buy something from Freight Harbor and was dissapointed when the tool I bought from them broke in about 2 minutes of use. Any suggestions.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:58 PM

A compressor that hooks to the battery isn't going to run an impact wrench.

Sears carries decent air tools, but they're going to be pricier than Harbor Freight.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCalPaul
Front brakes are easy, probably about 2 hrs with the right tools handy.
Brakes are EASY, should take ya less than an hour.

Once you get the tire off all you need is a 17mm socket, and a 10mm wrench to bleed em. Once the tire is off its 2 bolts to take the caliper off.

I changed mine in the autozone parking lot quick.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:50 PM

If you don't mind, where in the world did you get a steering rack reman'd by Toyota for $260? I have not seen them for any less than $600! The $260 price is the price I've seen for units reman'd by steering rack shops (not through Toyota). I've heard it's about a 50/50 gamble or worse on the non-Toyota reman'd steering racks.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:44 AM

Number 1: What kind of vehicle and year? Put it in your dig so you never have to say it again.

Number 2: Why not just put new spring in the rear if you are sagging. That one is pretty easy to do with minimal tools and a good jack. What are you putting in that thing or pulling that makes it sag so or is it sagging all the time these days? How many miles?

Number 3: Brakes are pretty darn easy to do with minimal tools. I would do the front brakes but I would actually upgrade the rotor and calipers. You can get those details in the sticky right at the top of this page I think.

Number 4: As for the rack, I would do mine myself and will if need be but I am not sure you should. You will have to make that call.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by WAZZOU
If you don't mind, where in the world did you get a steering rack reman'd by Toyota for $260? I have not seen them for any less than $600! The $260 price is the price I've seen for units reman'd by steering rack shops (not through Toyota). I've heard it's about a 50/50 gamble or worse on the non-Toyota reman'd steering racks.

I got the rack from the Camelback Toyota Website. I just clicked on the "OEM PARTS" and and navigated around. It is a little confusing but you'll find it. I actually called the dealership and was quoted 200 bucks more. He said it's better to order online.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalPaul
A compressor that hooks to the battery isn't going to run an impact wrench.

Sears carries decent air tools, but they're going to be pricier than Harbor Freight.
Wow I'm disappointed, I thought that I could run air tools with my viair 400p.

Guess I'll do it the ol' fashioned way.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by gpcollen1
Number 1: What kind of vehicle and year? Put it in your dig so you never have to say it again.

Number 2: Why not just put new spring in the rear if you are sagging. That one is pretty easy to do with minimal tools and a good jack. What are you putting in that thing or pulling that makes it sag so or is it sagging all the time these days? How many miles?

Number 3: Brakes are pretty darn easy to do with minimal tools. I would do the front brakes but I would actually upgrade the rotor and calipers. You can get those details in the sticky right at the top of this page I think.

Number 4: As for the rack, I would do mine myself and will if need be but I am not sure you should. You will have to make that call.
Sorry, I thought I had a sig. I have a 2000 TRD Prerunner V6, I have allpro off-road 8 pack leaf springs. It's stance is good, but when I load it up it sags.
Attached Thumbnails Installing steering rack, brakes and pads myself?-colorado-river-1581.jpg  
Old 04-16-2009, 09:08 PM

With all the helpful info everybody has provided to me I was doing some other research about our weakness in our Tacoma frames just above the rear wheels. So I decided to take a looksie low and behold, a ever so slight ripple. It's not that bad now but I am concerned with the load I'm going to carry for my camping trip.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:26 PM

Man, I'm looking on the Camelback website and I don't see racks for $260. They are all $717.06. Post a link to where you got your rack. I've been in Toyota parts for some time and even the aftermarket racks aren't that cheap!
Old 04-16-2009, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by CTRJ
Man, I'm looking on the Camelback website and I don't see racks for $260. They are all $717.06. Post a link to where you got your rack. I've been in Toyota parts for some time and even the aftermarket racks aren't that cheap!
http://www.camelbacktoyotaparts.com/oem_parts.html

I hope this helpsRack - 2wd w/prerunner 4wd - 2wd w/prerunner 4wd
95-04 $313.55 $235.63 The 235 is your price.

Last edited by Poco444; 04-16-2009 at 09:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Installing steering rack, brakes and pads myself?