95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Initial Start Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Initial Start Hesitation

Well...

This problem has been obvious for a little while now, but it has gotten considerably worse over the past 2 or 3 days...on the initial start (after engine has cooled off completely), when I try to start it, it hesitates a little bit to start, turns over fine but the engine doesn't start until it turns over a bunch...and then when it finally does the RPM's are EXTREMELY low...a lot less than a thousand.

But once I hit the acclerator it does fine...it's weird.

I just had the plugs replaced, brand new air-filter, and I just put in some cheapy injector cleaner (nobody else was open today other than Wal-Mart so I got some STP Injector Cleaner for like 6 bucks ). If I have to I will run this tank down and then get some Techron or AMSOIL or whatever the guy at the local parts store says is good and that he has in stock.

Lemme know ANYTHING that might be causing this problem.

It's not the battery because it has no trouble physically turning the engine over...but the engine has a hard time starting.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Fink; 07-20-2003 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Betcha the fuel rails aren't holding pressure. I'm sure someone can detail how to check this easily. All I can suggest is to find out which test connectors to jump in order to turn on the fuel pump. Try that for a few seconds before a cold start and see if it makes a difference.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

Can Injector Cleaner help with the fuel rail problem? I just put some cleaner in yesterday afternoon...I haven't been able to drive the truck much...too much crap going on around here...but I'm getting ready to go out and run some errands so...I should be able to run a good amount of cleaner through the system.

Could that help? If not, I have to take the rig in sometime next week to get the ABS Speed Sensors replaced so...I could just have them check it all out. Thanks man, any more ideas would help too! Especially something that *I* can do so that I don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get it JUST checked out by the dealer!

Thanks guys!

Old 07-21-2003, 03:42 PM

Hey man , pull the plugs and check for coolant . Mine was doing the same thing and it turned out the head gasket went. I only have 80,600 miles on my truck(46,000) since toyota installed the new head gasket due to a recall. If it is your head gasket, Make sure you call toyota in California and make a claim. Alot of people are having this problem and toyota is ignoring it.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:43 PM

im with the fuel rail thing. get a paper clip and bend it to a u. then open the diagnostics box and put one side in the last right, and then put the other in the last left if your standing in front of the truck looking towards the firewall, i think there labeld e1 and e+ but im not sure, ill check tonight and let you know, its in a chilton manual if you have one or anyone wants to double check me.

laterz

wade
Old 07-21-2003, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

So I just bend a paper clip and put in those two slots? I do have a Chiltons manual...sould I just look under fuel rails? And what exactly is this little U paper clip deal supposed to do for me? Thanks again!

Old 07-21-2003, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

In my connector you place the paper clip or wire in the TE1 and E1 holes. Then turn your ignition on and you should have a couple lights blinking on your dash. If you have any CE codes, the CE light will flash the code.

You also jump these connectors when adjusting your timing.

I don't know how this will help with the fuel rail thing.

Old 07-22-2003, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by heyguy007
Hey man , pull the plugs and check for coolant . Mine was doing the same thing and it turned out the head gasket went. I only have 80,600 miles on my truck(46,000) since toyota installed the new head gasket due to a recall. If it is your head gasket, Make sure you call toyota in California and make a claim. Alot of people are having this problem and toyota is ignoring it.
What model what engine what year?!!
Old 07-22-2003, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

Man, I hope my head gasket isn't blown!
Old 07-24-2003, 11:52 AM

1994 Toyota Pickup , xcab,4x4 , v6 , 3.0l engine.
Just dropped it off at the dealer and they confirmed it was the head gasket(after me telling them that and the truck sat for 2 days at the dealer) now toyota says they will pay for the head gasket set but ($300.00) but I have to pay for the Labor(approx. $1245.00+ tax) Sounds fishy doesnt it, theyll pay for the parts but i have to pay for the labor????? UMMMMMM!!!!!!! Any way im waiting for them to pull the heads to see what other damage there may have been. The engine will crank but it wont fire. Im gonna let them do what they have to and if Toyota doesnt cover the whole cost, Its court time. The truck is very well maintained and besides a head gasket shouldnt blow with only 46,000 miles on it. Kinda scares me I also own a 1994 well maintained 4Runner. with the same engine.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Im gonna let them do what they have to and if Toyota doesnt cover the whole cost, Its court time.
Glad you said that. What a bunch of bull about them covering the gaskets but not the labor. What kind of crap is that? You are also entitled to a free rental car under the HG Recall campaign.

Some dealers are such schmucks.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
Some dealers are such schmucks.
you meant to say "most."
Old 07-24-2003, 12:49 PM

Its not really the dealers fault. The truck had the recall gasket installed at 36,000 miles. Ive put 46,000 on it since the recall and with out warning the head gasket blew on my way to work. Ive tried to argue with toyota of North america but they say it was already replaced once and thats it. They are using the excuse that since I dont have any service history with the dealer(s), that it could be a maintenance issue.. Ive told them I have all the receipts and an actual logbook of all work done on the truck. I also told them that im a Certified Aircraft Mechanic and that if i can maintain aircraft then I can certainly maintain my own vehicles. Besides, you dont need to be a Toyota Certified Mechanic/Tech to do oil changes.( I think that pissed them off) But anyway im gonna wait and see what they say the damage is and then ill raise hell after they fix it.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

But anyway im gonna wait and see what they say the damage is and then ill raise hell after they fix it.
There you go!

Also, when was the first HG replaced? Toyota redesigned the HG for the 3.0L. I don't know exactly when that was done. It's possible that you may have had the old HG replaced with the old design. If so, then you are entitled to a full repair free of charge.

I've had two HG recalls done on my 4runner.

Good Luck!