Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

idling and steering problems !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation idling and steering problems !!!

I just joined and i'm pretty exited that there is a place i can go to get good advice for my 4-runner. I just bought a 95 SR5 with some aftermarker market parts and i love it. I plan on getting a lift and other modifications down the road but i need to fix my current problems first. When i first start my 4-runner lately it has been shuddering and acceleration isn't smooth until about 1500-2000 rpm's. This problem just started and i'm guessing it's either the fuel pump or the fuel filter. Any Suggestions? Could it be i need to adjust the carb? The second problem is with a nasty creeking sound when i turn the wheel completely in one direction. This problem gets magnified when i'm in 4-wheel and try to turn all the way. The car lurches and doesn't make a smooth turn. Any advice i can get would be super beneficial, Thanks!
Old 05-06-2003, 10:25 AM

Err... Well there is no carb on that truck. The nasty creeking sound sounds like a loose belt. When at full lock there is a lot of stress on the power steering components which can cause the belt to slip.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the idle problem, i'd start with the basics - check all wires & hoses, check filters, try some injector cleaner, etc. For the steering problems, there really is no problem. When you crank the steering wheel all the way to the stops, you're causing the steering gear to rub against the stops on the frame. Your truck came from the factory with some little plastic caps on the stops, but those wore away in about a week. Look at the lower A-arm on each side & you'll see the stops - one in front & one in back of the A-arm. Put a little grease on each one and you're good to go. If you insist on turning the wheels sharply while in 4WD, make sure you're on a slippery surface. Engaging 4WD prevents the wheels from turning at different speeds, so either the outside wheel has to hop (lurch) to keep up with the inside, or the inside wheel has to slip to keep from overtaking the outside. (Maybe the owner's manual can explain it better than I can.)
Old 09-07-2003, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by mtnfreak
For the idle problem, i'd start with the basics - check all wires & hoses, check filters, try some injector cleaner, etc. For the steering problems, there really is no problem. When you crank the steering wheel all the way to the stops, you're causing the steering gear to rub against the stops on the frame. Your truck came from the factory with some little plastic caps on the stops, but those wore away in about a week. Look at the lower A-arm on each side & you'll see the stops - one in front & one in back of the A-arm. Put a little grease on each one and you're good to go. If you insist on turning the wheels sharply while in 4WD, make sure you're on a slippery surface. Engaging 4WD prevents the wheels from turning at different speeds, so either the outside wheel has to hop (lurch) to keep up with the inside, or the inside wheel has to slip to keep from overtaking the outside. (Maybe the owner's manual can explain it better than I can.)
Sorry to bring this post back to life, but does anyone have a good illustation of the stops that the wheels rub on?
Old 09-07-2003, 01:52 PM
CTB

Here are the steering stops I think you are referring to:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...e/bjz_stop.jpg