Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Ideas for convincing the dealer (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas for convincing the dealer (LONG)

I would like to get some suggestions from the board on the best way to handle a service issue with a Toyota dealer. Here’s my situation:

1 month ago I brought my 1990 4Runner to the dealer for the head gasket recall along with a timing and drive belt change. I was advised to change additional items while the engine was disassembled and access was easy. All items were worn but still functioning properly.

1) Water Pump, 2)Timing Idler, 3)Distr Rotor Assy, 4)Coil and Cord Set,5) Spark Plugs, 6)Distr Cap Assy.., 7)Crank Seal

When the work was completed I road tested the truck and all seemed fine. The next day I noticed a red puddle under my truck. I looked at the bottom of the truck and didn’t see a drip. Since I park in an apartment complex another car could have made the puddle earlier. After driving the truck I looked under the engine and it was dripping clear red fluid. The next day I took my truck to the dealer and I was told that the coolant hose was loose and that they would reposition the clamp. After a test drive I could see that the coolant was no longer dripping from the engine. A fine steam did rise from under the hood. When I informed the dealer of this I was told it was probably spilled top-off coolant evaporating from the hot engine.

I drove the truck around for the holidays without incident. 2 weeks after my last visit to the dealer the truck had a strange idle surge after a 5-mile drive. The next day the surge was gone but the CEL light appeared for the very first time in 12 yrs. of use. I returned to the dealer and after a 15 minute diagnosis I was told it was a code 52-shock sensor open circuit. $550. I asked if this could be related to the work that was done and was told “no.”

From answers to my postings, and searches on the CEL code 52, I have gathered the following probable causes:
1)The replacement wire for the shock sensor was not replaced and suffered slight damage. Subsequent road vibrations and spilled coolant caused the housing to crack .
2)The wire was changed and improperly connected and eventually came loose.
3)The wire was changed and the shock sensor went bad.

In light of the facts I find it unlikely that this occurred without dealer intervention. I haven't been to the dealer for service in years. Is this just normal procedure?

In your opinion what is the best way of successfully convincing the dealer to fix the shock sensor problem without incurring any additional cost.

Thanks,
Dorian
Old 01-09-2003, 01:23 PM
Jay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was common for the "knock sensor" wire to become brittle after years of heat it is subjected to. During the disassmbly of the cylinder heads, it is necessary to remove this wire and move it. Due to the wire being very fragile from the heat, it is most likely that the wire broke ( open circuit ).

I would suggest calling the toyota 800 number, and seeking guidance from them.

Jay