YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2005, 12:20 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Cool How often do you replace oil pan drain bolt & washer?

Was wondering how often you guys replace them?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!

1997 Land Cruiser 40th Anniv. - Family Hauler. If it was my choice, "it would be lifted already!"

"Don't laugh, they're both paid for!"
99runner4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 12:26 PM   #2
Banned
Vendor Sales Rating: (-1)

new washer everytime...same bolt

waskillywabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 01:19 PM   #3
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)

I've never replaced the bolt on my '85 and just recently replaced the washer for the first time last year. As long as the washer is in good shape and does not leak, I leave it in there. But you could replace it every time if desired.
Project: 4Crawler
4Crawler OffRoad - YotaTech discount code
Gettin'Off 4WD Club
4Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 01:47 PM   #4
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
new washer everytime...same bolt
Roger that on both our vehicles. Learned the hard way in the past.
rimpainter.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 01:54 PM   #5

A little off what your talking about, but the bolt on my front diff gear oil drain plug is stripped and is not coming off anytime soon. I asked a mechanic what to do and he said "screw it" becuase his truck with over 200k miles has never had the diff oil changed. He said just keep it topped off. O well for now I guess. But if you see the bolt head getting worn down at all, I would reccomend replacing it so you dont end up in my situation.

'97 4runner limited 4x4 w/ Rear Locker
Tcase skid - Frankenstein Front End Suspension - OME Rear Suspension - Lars Discos - ARB Taco Bumper - Stubbs Standard Sliders - Cobra 18 WXSTII Cb w/ 4' Firestick II Antenna - 285/75/16 MT/Rs on 16x8 Rockcrawler 97 series wheels - 1" Roger Brown body lift - Bud Built Front Skidplate and more

Project Beast II Webpage

Denver Univeristy Off-Road Club
MellamoPOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 03:38 PM   #6
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellamoPOUND
A little off what your talking about, but the bolt on my front diff gear oil drain plug is stripped and is not coming off anytime soon. I asked a mechanic what to do and he said "screw it" becuase his truck with over 200k miles has never had the diff oil changed. He said just keep it topped off. O well for now I guess. But if you see the bolt head getting worn down at all, I would reccomend replacing it so you dont end up in my situation.
Sounds like a great guy to take your truck to.
How about tack welding a nut onto the stripped nut, remove it and then replace it with a new one?

as to the original post...I've never changed the plug, and I change the washer each time. I do about 12 oil changes a year and use the package of ten washers in the year.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:45 PM   #7
Contributing Member

Quote:
just weld a nut to the drain plug and you can easily remove it......

I never have changed the drain plug gasket, but if it starts to leak, then it'll get replaced, aluminum washer will last a very long time.
BruceTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 04:04 PM   #8

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
20+ plus vehicles spanning 30+ years. Never replaced a drain plug except one that I lost...
Never replaced a washer either, never had one leak.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:17 PM   #9
Banned
Vendor Sales Rating: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to bamachem
never replaced either. no leaks at 142k and counting
bamachem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 09:23 PM   #10
Contributing Member

My Taco's oil plug gasket has been reused since I got it. It is the plastic kind, so it will continue to mold each time you tighten the bolt.

Aluminum washers I personally feel aren't as great to reused because once they are crushed, they maintain that shape for the most part. Sure it won't leak if everything is in good condition, but if you have uneven surfaced (e.g. bent drain pan where the bolt goes in) then I wouldn't reuse an aluminum one. I would however, reuse a plastic one.

Since I get all the crush gaskets I want for free, I usually change them all the time on my family's cars that never had a plastic gasket.
youngbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 09:24 PM   #11
Contributing Member

Quote:
And even if you didn't want to weld a nut onto the plug, you could get some type of pump and pump out the majority of the oil. I would never follow his recommendation.
youngbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 09:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamedx4
20+ plus vehicles spanning 30+ years. Never replaced a drain plug except one that I lost...
Never replaced a washer either, never had one leak.
me either. and losing them sux.
some that ive worked on never had a washer to begin with.
Originally Posted by fustercluck View Post
I was traumatized. I had nightmares of trained attack tupperware beef-logs chasing me all night! Don't bend over, Fuster!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysmachia View Post
Just pile us nekkid in an engine bay and drizzle us with gear oil and watch the fun!
surf4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:58 AM   #13

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Send a message via AIM to Rick F. Send a message via Yahoo to Rick F.
I've been doing my own oil changes since I had my own cars (8 at last count) and, after over 950,000 vehicle miles and oil changes every 3-3.5k miles (that's over 300 oil changes), I remember changing the drain plug washer MAYBE 2 or 3 times. I replaced the drain plug on one vehicle once after I had stripped the head (frickin' dealership must have used an impact wrench to put the dang thing on!!!)
'00 SR5, Desert Dune: 4" Deckplate, Amsoil TS-115, Bilsteins, Brembo rotors w/Performance Friction pads, Fiam Highway Blasters, Sylvania Silverstars, Hella Micro DE Fog Lights w/Hella Yellow Star Lamps - SOLD 1/24/09

'08 Sport, Salsa Red: Hella Optilux fogs, Silverstar Ultra Hi beams. Pending: Borla dual catback, CAI, shocks
Rick F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:10 AM   #14
Contributing Member

My 93 truck came from the factory with a steel washer under the drain bolt and it is 12 years old and doing fine.

My BMW came with a copper washer and it gets changed everytime, in fact every BMW oil filter includes a new one.
93 4X4 ext-cab, auto, SR5, 3.4 V6, supercharged, 2.1" pulley, URD fuel mods, Aquamist WI, IPT valve body mod, dual cases, 4" superlift front, Alcan springs rear, 33 BFG KM2, ARB locked front & rear, 5.29 US Gears, RB 1" Body Lift, TJM T-17, Warn m8000.
mt_goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:13 AM   #15

I've never changed either, either. I think it's more important to make sure the washer and bolt are clean, as is the bottom of the oil pan.
oly884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:55 AM   #16
Contributing Member

Used to never change the washer, then had one leak on me. I've been using new ones after every oil change. We're talking about a real cheap part here, so to me its just added insurance.
'98 4Runner: SAW/OME lift, TJM bumper, Warn M8000 winch, Hayden tranny cooler, Trail Carnage front and belly skid plates, PIAA fogs, Rock lights, 33" MT's on Tech1 Rockcrawler rims, Lars sway bar discos, Sonoran bumpstops and rear bumper, RB 1" body lift, Daystar front bumpstops
'73 FJ40: 327 SBC, York, Dual Batteries, custom tire carrier, Corbeau Baja SS bucket seats, Bestop top.
TLCA#14428

Mad Chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:59 AM   #17

I don't replace either the bolt or the washer. I only change the oil once a year and it never leaks, so no worries.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:57 AM   #18

Some internet dealers will give you free oil pan gaskets with the purchase of a case; you just need to ask before you buy.

These free paper/cardboard type gaskets should last you several changes. The part numbers for these gaskets are 90430-12028.
ToyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:48 PM   #19

Exclamation

I don't remove the plug or replace the washer...I got a Fumoto Valve!
They work awesome!
Check it out..... http://www.fumotovalve.com/

Last edited by ohio4runner4x4; 11-07-2005 at 04:50 PM.
ohio4runner4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:35 PM   #20
Banned
Vendor Sales Rating: (0)

Send a message via AIM to phorunninduke
Never replaced either.

Everytime i stick my hand into a pan full of hot dirty oil to get the ones I drop I say I will "next" time.

You washer changers are weirdos. If it aint broke don't fix it.
phorunninduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:35 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
9043012028, bolt, drain, fj40, gasket, gaskets, leaking, oil, pan, plug, remove, replace, sequoia, toyota, washer