Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

how much Utility, in Sport Utility

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much Utility, in Sport Utility

Greetings all, and thanks for everything I've learnt from these boards already.

I'm in the market for a 4Runner, a 2nd Gen specifically. I don't so much want to use it as a daily driver, but for the utility part, use around the farm (especially in winter) and for hunting.

So for those of you that use your 4Runners more like trucks, especially those of you that hunt, how do you find them? Are you able to get all your gear plus game in the back(seats folded). Do use roof racks too?

Also, engines: I'd like the V6, but I've found a few 4cyls around that are in pretty nice shape. But how well will the 4cyl preform when you've got several hundred pounds on stuff in the vehicle.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

well ive got no 2nd gen, and ive got no 4cyl, but i can tell you, that we (my buddies) use the 4runner as the truck to take all the stuff to the campsite. i go camping a lot with my buddies, and we fit an amazing amount of stuff in it. i use a surco safari rack, and load it up with firewood...works very well. there is plenty of space in it, in my opinion. some of my friends have 2nd gens, and theyre not too much different in size of cargo space (you can check numbers). i think the 4runner works well and it holds a lot of stuff. in addition, a huge plus is the rear window. having it rolled down allow for lots of stuff to be put in, but you dont have to really worry about it falling out. just my 2cents.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bill
Greetings all, and thanks for everything I've learnt from these boards already.

I'm in the market for a 4Runner, a 2nd Gen specifically. I don't so much want to use it as a daily driver, but for the utility part, use around the farm (especially in winter) and for hunting.

So for those of you that use your 4Runners more like trucks, especially those of you that hunt, how do you find them? Are you able to get all your gear plus game in the back(seats folded). Do use roof racks too?

Also, engines: I'd like the V6, but I've found a few 4cyls around that are in pretty nice shape. But how well will the 4cyl preform when you've got several hundred pounds on stuff in the vehicle.

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like a truck would work better for you than a 4Runner.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:52 PM

Well, I know that I want a Toyota. Ideally I'd like a Tacoma or a Pickup, but Tacomas are out of my price range right now, and pickups are few and far between. So I figure a 4Runner will do the trick until I can afford a new/semi-new Tacoma or Tundra.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:16 PM

save the cash and wait for a tacoma. you won't be disappointed.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:43 PM
ed

3rd the rec'd for a truck. For all-round utility a truck, even with a shell, works better than a 4runner, imho of course. Personally, the electric rear window on the 4runner is a huge pain when camping (nor as rugged as a simple tailgate) and I find there's noticably less space in the back due to the interior trim along the sides. OTOH, it's nice to be able to access your gear from the front seats and the side doors do make loading easier than having to slide everything in from the back. And then there's the ability to carry four ppl, which was my incentive to switch from a truck to a 4runner.

Which isn't to say a 4runner won't work for ya, but I'd think you'll find it easier in the long run holding out for a pickup.