Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How Likely Is It???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Likely Is It???

That my headgskets are blown and my block is warped?
I know that many of the people on here have had theirs go and replaced them so are the Toyota techs that I talked to being overcautious saying that the block is most likely warped near the #6 cylinder or should I tear into the motor and replace the heads and headgaskets? By the way Im replacing the heads because they were machined by a crappy shop when the recall was doen about a year ago. This is on a 90 V6 4runner too. Thanks for the input. Im trying to decide if I should try a fix or if it's a waste of money and I should move on to motor swapping.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:29 PM

No One has some input on this. As far as I can tell everyone on here has done a HG replacement or knows something about it. A little info would help
Old 09-29-2004, 03:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think most of the people here have had the dealer do it and so don't know much about the engine itself. Besides, your post has only been up for 3.5 hours.

Well, my $0.02. I kinda doubt your block is bad, they're pretty tough. But there are people here who have gotten new engines courtesy of toyota because they were bad. I think it all depends on how much you pushed the engine after the HG went...how hot it got.

Hopefully Nunsa will see this thread and respond.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:04 PM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
If you didn't have a dealership perform the recall work, play dumb and ask them to do it...
Old 09-29-2004, 05:23 PM

Blown head gasket: likely

Warped Block: unlikely

That's my uneducated, whimsical vote.

Any other symptoms besides overheating.

Sam

Last edited by Samgotit; 09-29-2004 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:29 PM

I forgot to mention that mine failed at cylinder #1.

Sam
Old 09-29-2004, 06:32 PM

well, i had the a head gasket that was bad. jsut got finished with putting in 2 new head gaskets and installing rebuilt heads. drove it for 2 miles today. and coolant was pooring out of the crack between the head and block. guess i should have spent a little more time working the block before i put it back together, casue its all getting torn down tomorrow and being professionally rebuilt. this is on an 88 4runner. too bad its not covered under the stupid warrenty. now its leaking at the number 5 cylinder, first time it went it was the #6 cylinder

Last edited by runnerboy97; 09-29-2004 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:52 AM

Recall was performed by dealer less than a year ago but they won't warranty it because of the heads being rebuilt elsewhere. I appreciate the responses I thin Im going to take apart the motor over the next few weeks and see how my block looks.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DubJunkE
Recall was performed by dealer less than a year ago but they won't warranty it because of the heads being rebuilt elsewhere. I appreciate the responses I thin Im going to take apart the motor over the next few weeks and see how my block looks.
I think it is like Robinhood said, it all depends on how long it was driven with a blown HG.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
I think it is like Robinhood said, it all depends on how long it was driven with a blown HG.
BTW in the future you will get much faster replies if your title has some clue as to the subject of the thread.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off I hope you have about $2500 plus in your desposal because a motor swap like the 3.4L isn't cheap.

As far as your engine you won't know until you pull the heads what the damage is.
Spend the extra money to do it right. Take it from someone who knows you don't skimp on it get a full head/valve job and resurface of the heads. If you feel the bottom end is bad at all rebuild the block. I have spent alot of money on my engine due to doing things 1/2 assed do it right the first time and be done.

This is most important replace your knock sensor wire when you have the intake manifold off.

Also make sure you clean the block surface very well. There should be no corrosion at all when you put on the new gaskets and heads if you don't prep the block surface it will surely fail where there is any kind of corrosion.

Goodluck

Last edited by 934rnr; 09-30-2004 at 06:24 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:14 AM

Well it was a buddy of mine that half assed the job in the first place having a second rate machine shop do the head job, thats what I think caused this problem in the first place. So I bought new heads with valves and am probably going to replace them, the rest of the motor was strong before the HG blew. I didn't drive long with the HG blown or everheat it badly so Im hoping the block is OK, I have the money for the motor swap but was hoping to get a little more mileage out of this motor so I could do the swap when I wanted not be forced to spend teh money that could be useful elsewhere. Anyways I just wanted to know that the head replacement wasn't a lost cause thanks for the responses.