Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Hitch and bike rack problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hitch and bike rack problems

I have a 1998 SR5 4Runner with the factory 2" tow package. I'm running a Sportsworks (Now Thule) T2 bike rack, like this one:

Now, the problem. When pulling out of certain driveways or highway turnouts the rack is bottoming really hard. I noticed that the rack doesn't slide in as far as it should since the pin hole is drilled too far towards the rear of the hitch. I was thinking about drilling a new hole thats farther forward to bring the rack deeper into the hitch. Theres also a stabilizer bolt on the rack that pushes up on the inside of the hitch that isn't even inside the hitch yet.
So my question is, is drilling a new hole a bad idea? Can anyone see an adverse effects?
Old 05-30-2007, 11:46 AM

It might weaken it... and it will probably rust down the line. Maybe drill the whole and give it a spray of undercoating or some kind of paint to keep it from rusting.

I would give it a shot personally. I don't see anything too horrible about the idea.
Just my $0.015
Old 05-30-2007, 12:35 PM

drilling a hole would be a good idea if anything sliding the rack in deeper would make it alot more sturdy, go for it!
Old 05-30-2007, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Just don't forget to leave room for those handlebars!
Old 05-30-2007, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would drop the spare tire, so it isn't in the way. Slide the mount into the hitch. Mount the inside bike. Slide the mount in as far as you want, remember the bike will bounce forward toward the hatch, alow space. Mark position of new hole, you may also want to cut off the extra length so it doesn't hit the spare. You can also use the hitch as a template for drilling, leave the bike mount in the hitch and drill from one side then the other. I'm not telling you to do this but I would. I have done this with hitch draw bars to get them closer.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Maj

I had the same problem with my rack. It already had an additional hole drilled that would allow deeper insertion but the tube would bottom out against the spare tire. I took an angle grinder and loped off about 3 inches of tube. Downside? Your liftgate might not open without hitting the rack since it will sit closer. I loaned the rack to a friend and it wouldn't work in her Pathfinder hitch since it wouldn't insert far enough for the holes to line up.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
drill the hole, hit it with some paint or sealant so it doesnt rust and youre good to go.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:49 PM

We deal with the Thule version of this (www.backcountryracks.com shameless plug!) if the Sportworks is the same by redrilling the hole you lose the nut welded inside that snugs the whole system tight. Again I've only dealt with the Thule version. Also if you pull that ring on the bottom the whole unit will tilt down giving plenty of clearance.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mattabilly
We deal with the Thule version of this (www.backcountryracks.com shameless plug!) if the Sportworks is the same by redrilling the hole you lose the nut welded inside that snugs the whole system tight. Again I've only dealt with the Thule version. Also if you pull that ring on the bottom the whole unit will tilt down giving plenty of clearance.
By drilling a hole I meant drilling a hole in the hitch, not the rack. I don't have the hitch from that picture, which has no place to drill a new hole farther forward. Mine has space to drill a new hole farther forward on the hitch.

My hitch looks like this (maybe its not factory??)

As you can see the hitch sits really low... (Not my 4Runner pictured, mine doesn't have that lift).

When you say I can pull that ring for more clearance do you mean that pin that lets you drop the rack down to open up the trunk? I'm not to worried about trunk door clearance (cept for handles hitting while driving) since the rear window rolls down for gear access.

(On another note, two deckplates get here friday! Had to order them since no marine stores had a 4" one in stock. Buddy and I are gonna install them on our Runners. Super stoked. )

Last edited by SpeedyJ; 05-30-2007 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:36 AM

Sorry, misunderstood yeah you may bump into the spare if you re-drill the receiver. We had that happen on a fourth gen 4Runner and brand new Thule rack.

Wish I had the option of the deckplate mod, drilled my airbox now waiting for my manual hubs for my next mod.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Should be no problem drilling a new hole, as long as you have clearance for it. There are two semi-standard hole locations, one about 2-1/2" in and the deep hole version is a little over 5" in from the face of the receiver.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mattabilly
Sorry, misunderstood yeah you may bump into the spare if you re-drill the receiver. We had that happen on a fourth gen 4Runner and brand new Thule rack.

Wish I had the option of the deckplate mod, drilled my airbox now waiting for my manual hubs for my next mod.

Why don't you have the option of the deckplate mod?

Thanks for the measurements 4Crawler.
Does anyone have any ideas on taking care of the spare tire issue? An obvious solution is to take it off, but I'd rather keep a spare with me. Other ideas?
Old 05-31-2007, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SpeedyJ
By drilling a hole I meant drilling a hole in the hitch, not the rack. I don't have the hitch from that picture, which has no place to drill a new hole farther forward. Mine has space to drill a new hole farther forward on the hitch.

My hitch looks like this (maybe its not factory??)

As you can see the hitch sits really low... (Not my 4Runner pictured, mine doesn't have that lift).

When you say I can pull that ring for more clearance do you mean that pin that lets you drop the rack down to open up the trunk? I'm not to worried about trunk door clearance (cept for handles hitting while driving) since the rear window rolls down for gear access.

(On another note, two deckplates get here friday! Had to order them since no marine stores had a 4" one in stock. Buddy and I are gonna install them on our Runners. Super stoked. )
If you had that particular hitch you'd flip it upside down, cut a hole in the bumper to accommodate and voila, more clearance. Did that with mine, not a drag since and tailgate still clears (older mod style) sportworks rack with several inches to spare. Didn't look like your style hitch, though.

The pic you're all sick of:
Old 05-31-2007, 02:38 PM

I do actually have that hitch in the quoted picture. The first picture isn't my 4Runner, its one I found on google to show the rack I have. Sweet idea, I think I will try that.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have drilled a hole in mine for the very same problem. Instead it is a basket type rack. I took the rack male part and drilled a new hole in it, so I could slide it in further and then attach the pin.

I used a drill press since the hole is a pretty big one, and you have to go through some pretty thick steel.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

Got it from someone here (who did a lot nicer job).....3 bolts each side....you may have to persuade (I used a bfh to hammer them back a little) the loops to fit under there....I tow sometimes so I didn't want to cut mine off...I think others have mentioned re-welding them in a better spot.

Last edited by habanero; 05-31-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by SpeedyJ
Why don't you have the option of the deckplate mod?
2nd gen airboxes aren't square, they're a funky shape absolutely no place to mount a deckplate. The only option using the stock box is to drill it out in many places or cut the entire bottom off.