Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help, PCV removal on 3.0L

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 06:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Morphine
Eric-the-red, or anyone else for that matter: How do you know what "gen" the truck and engine are? The fuel filter doesn't appear half as bad as the starter was, am I right?

Trying to learn as quick as possible but slowly my brain begins to hurt.

Thanks
-=Morphine=-
Actually the 'gens' I was referring to apply more to 4Runners, didn't notice yours was a truck. And no the fuel filter isn't as bad as the starter.
http://www.top4runners.com/ja/runhist.html
Old 01-27-2005, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Morphine
The 3rd day I had my Yota I was replacing the starter. In this example a bad way to begin my project experience. Once I'm done with this pcv valve I hope things start going uphill for me. I'm not mechanically inclined, I work on Computers and Networks for a living. This project was supposed to help me relax and give my Fiancee and I something to do together.

She loves working on the engine more than I, as long as am with her outside or in the garage. Well I guess I'll relax after the work is done and her and I are on a trail, right?

-=Morphine=-
Perfect solution, take a laptop and a six pack out to the garage and you can surf Yotatech while your fiancee does the work
Old 01-27-2005, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its OFF!!!

Thank you everyone for the moral support and ideas. I finally got that damn PITA PCV valve out. I also replaced my o2 sensor, fuel filter, tested the MAF - tested good. Busy day, especially on my day off.

-=Morphine=-
Old 01-28-2005, 03:02 AM

This is the only pic I have at the moment. I'll get some better ones and do a little write up maybe.

I also built a little oil catch can to keep all the oil out of the intake manifold that goes in line with this, hence the reason for the extra length in hose on this. You don't actually need the length i just left a little room for error and it's now trimmed down.

Last edited by Babypig; 01-28-2005 at 03:20 AM.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:08 AM

Starter........been there done that..........on the side of the road, with the temp outside at the freezing mark and a strong wind, in the dark with a $1 flashlight that crapped out 1/2 way through!!!!!! My own fault though, I knew the contacts had to be replaced, I just kept putting it off. Where is a good hill to jump start when you need one!!
Old 01-28-2005, 04:55 PM

Nice mod...But

Babypig, do you think that the extra vacuum need to pull through the additional hose will cause any long term effects on the motor? It seems like an awful lot of hose there.

Otherwise an awesome idea. I just finished replacing mine and can truly say your idea is incredible.

-=Morphine=-
Old 01-29-2005, 07:33 AM

I don't have as much hose on it at the moment. That was a pic as I was fabbing it up and i needed some wiggle room for the oil catch can. I removed 3 or 4 inches of that hose. As long as it is kept clean I don't think it would have a very serious effect. Just an opinion though, there may be issues I haven't thought of.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Babypig
I also built a little oil catch can to keep all the oil out of the intake manifold that goes in line with this, hence the reason for the extra length in hose on this. You don't actually need the length i just left a little room for error and it's now trimmed down.
BabyPig - where's the other pics on this mod?! I think they'd do the talking for you....

Took me 3 searches to find this pic/thread & it's exactly how I pictured it would be.
Did you use 3/8" fuel line?? It takes some force but I can barely get it start over the larger end of the PCV. Any concerns that the PCV will work correctly if it's mounted horizontal?? Or do the 2 springs inside make this a no-brainer??
Also, what does this oil catch can look like? Is it like a oil/water seperator used on air compressors?? PICS?!?!

Thanks a ton - like Morphine said, I feel like you guys are my extended family w/ all the advice I get here!!

Cheers!
Old 05-11-2005, 10:14 AM

how about this thread...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/diy-pcv-catch-can-43767/
Old 05-11-2005, 12:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
NIIIICE!! So hey, lets keep the PCV mod, but let's also add a catch can packed with steel wool. You still get a vacuum in the crankcase, you reintroduce the blowby, you filter out all the oil, AND you can change your PCV easily!

win win win win!
Old 05-12-2005, 09:10 AM

I can post up some more pics later today or early tommorow. Didn't think of the steel wool in the catch can actually but thats a great idea. So I'll getr some on the way home. I think the springs in the PCV valve are more than adequate to handle being on its side. It may need to be looked at a little more just to ensure it isn't clogging, but it coould be oriented to stand straight up i thin with a zip tie or something. I'll get back with the pics.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:51 AM

Thanks Babypig - since it seems you're one of the first to do this, your insight & experience with the mod will guide us!!

Anyone see a reason the PCV couldn't be mounted in the lid of that pint can?? It would at least be vertical then...was thinking that a regular rubber grommet might work too.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:51 AM

I think you could totally do that. It will be the same no matter where it is in the loop, i think, as long as the hoses are kept to a minimum length to decrease drag on airflow through the hoses.