Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

help me pass CA smog test please

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help me pass CA smog test please

My little brother has a 2wd 1985 22r pickup. He has recently failed the San Jose California area smog pretest. The truck has 180,000 miles and has been neglected the majority of its life I assume. I have in the last year changed the fuel filter, air filter, plugs, wires, dis cap and rotor (easy stuff). The truck is due for an oil change and will have fresh oil for the next smog pretest. I am getting ready to install a new timing chain yikes kit from engnbdr and adjust the valves. The truck is on its deathbed and will probably be scraped if I cannot get it to pass the smog test. Will the new timing chain yikes kit help it pass smog? I do not want to the waste time or money if this is not going to help. Should I only do the valve adjustment to see if it passes smog then install the timing chain kit? As a last resort I was going to add isopropanol to the gas (10, 20, 50, 80, 100%) what ever it takes to pass the smog test. Do anyone now if this will damage the truck in any way? I am worried about the fuel system and the carburetor. Before I add the alcohol or timing chain kit I will thoroughly trouble shoot the emissions system. All helpful comments will be appreciated. I am new. Is this post too long?
Old 06-04-2004, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by 2wd1stgen
My little brother has a 2wd 1985 22r pickup. He has recently failed the San Jose California area smog pretest. The truck has 180,000 miles and has been neglected the majority of its life I assume. I have in the last year changed the fuel filter, air filter, plugs, wires, dis cap and rotor (easy stuff). The truck is due for an oil change and will have fresh oil for the next smog pretest. I am getting ready to install a new timing chain yikes kit from engnbdr and adjust the valves. The truck is on its deathbed and will probably be scraped if I cannot get it to pass the smog test. Will the new timing chain yikes kit help it pass smog? I do not want to the waste time or money if this is not going to help. Should I only do the valve adjustment to see if it passes smog then install the timing chain kit? As a last resort I was going to add isopropanol to the gas (10, 20, 50, 80, 100%) what ever it takes to pass the smog test. Do anyone now if this will damage the truck in any way? I am worried about the fuel system and the carburetor. Before I add the alcohol or timing chain kit I will thoroughly trouble shoot the emissions system. All helpful comments will be appreciated. I am new. Is this post too long?
run a bottle of seafoam through it to clean everything off, it will run better after that.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:20 PM

sea foam

can I get this sea foam at the local car quest or pepboys or do I have to order it over the internet?
Old 06-04-2004, 03:15 PM

not really sure, i know my dad has some in his shop and thats where i get mine.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Contributing Member

My girlfriends 87 corolla didnt pass the first time, I have a thread here asking for help, alot of tips to make it pass came up. The others were talking about seafoam last week I believe, do a search and im sure you'll find more info on it.

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2004, 06:14 AM

My 85 22re just barely passed last time,also with 188 k on it.But i've over maintained it.When you adjust the valves you can inspect the timing chain for slop.If it has little play then changing it wont help your smog readings.What failed on the test?CO ,HC , Nox ? Mines gonna need a new cat.The old motor(changed @ 130k) was burning lots of oil ,and i think that didn't help the cat.Then again it has almost 200k on the o.e. one so it's done it's job.
Old 06-05-2004, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by HondaTec521
My 85 22re just barely passed last time,also with 188 k on it.But i've over maintained it.When you adjust the valves you can inspect the timing chain for slop.If it has little play then changing it wont help your smog readings.What failed on the test?CO ,HC , Nox ? Mines gonna need a new cat.The old motor(changed @ 130k) was burning lots of oil ,and i think that didn't help the cat.Then again it has almost 200k on the o.e. one so it's done it's job.
I not sure why it failed. The smog dude did a free pre test and told my brother it will not pass. My bother (the smart guy he is) did not ask why it failed. I will find out why it failed when it is tested again (hopefully it will pass) and post it soon. Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:27 PM

Man I'm glad we don't have smog tests here.. Not even inspections.

hehe

But, I would seriously doubt changing the timing chain is going to have any effect.

I'd try the O2 sensor, Tune it up. Maybe a new Cat Converter.

Check the EGR Valve. If all else fails - sell it on E-Bay to someone - where it doesn't matter.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I not sure why it failed. The smog dude did a free pre test and told my brother it will not pass. My bother (the smart guy he is) did not ask why it failed. I will find out why it failed when it is tested again (hopefully it will pass) and post it soon. Thanks everyone for the help.
I just barely got through the smog test today, high everything but within limits. (89 3.0 with 286,000 on it) I really just need to get the EGR working right and swap out the plugs/wires/cap/rotor. They are all old and due for replacement.

Definitely post your numbers, that will help tremendously in zeroing in on the problem.

Frank
Old 06-05-2004, 06:43 PM

I had a hard time smogging my 84 Tercel wagon this last year, I tried some of that engine cleaner, after 3 smog tests (failed) i replaced the O2 sensor ($30) and that was it. It actually passed cleaner than my Taco.

Steve