Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Heatshield - 22RE near exhust manifold not cat

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heatshield - 22RE near exhust manifold not cat

Chunk of Metal came off in my hand when I was doing the wires, plugs etc...

I am sure it was a heat shield for the exhaust and it was rusted horribly,
Dealer wants $105CDN for a new one, is it worth it or can I go without it?

Any other solutions?

Thanks
Old 04-16-2004, 10:16 AM

I was wondering about that too? I have a Taco with the cat back exhaust and want to remove the heat shields.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:35 AM

Well, if you end up removing the sheild near the engine, if you have a 22re, maybe we can work out a deal?..Saves me $100bucks...
Old 04-16-2004, 10:48 AM

You can run without them, but make sure you get some sort of loom for the spark plug wires so you don't wind up cooking them on the manifold. It will also slightly increase the temps in the engine compartment and the air entering the engine as a result. I already tossed mine away years ago when I went to headers or I'd send you one.
Maybe somebody here that has done a swap to headers can send you theirs if they still have the old manifold laying around.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:56 AM

Wait, if Im going to headers then I can't sit in the heatshield?
I have a set of pacesetters ready to be picked up, does that mean I can't use the heatshield when installed or don't need to use it?

Thanks
Old 04-16-2004, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by GreenLeafYota
Wait, if Im going to headers then I can't sit in the heatshield?
I have a set of pacesetters ready to be picked up, does that mean I can't use the heatshield when installed or don't need to use it?

Thanks
It would take some bending and making of straps and fittings to make the heat sheild work with headers, but I suppose you could do it. Generally, if you want heat protection when you go to headers you buy some header wrap tape. The tape cuts down on heat in the engine compartment and is supposed to result in more torque somehow. I have mine wrapped mostly at the top end. If I can get off my butt this weekend and remember to do it I'll post pics.
If you live in the rust belt or don't buy stainless headers, you might consider unwrapping them every so often to make sure they aren't rusting out.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit 451
It would take some bending and making of straps and fittings to make the heat sheild work with headers, but I suppose you could do it. Generally, if you want heat protection when you go to headers you buy some header wrap tape. The tape cuts down on heat in the engine compartment and is supposed to result in more torque somehow. I have mine wrapped mostly at the top end. If I can get off my butt this weekend and remember to do it I'll post pics.
If you live in the rust belt or don't buy stainless headers, you might consider unwrapping them every so often to make sure they aren't rusting out.
Supposedly the wrap concentrates the heat inside the pipe, thus helping complete the burning of unused fuel. Kinda an afterburner effect.
I think the wrap idea is a good one for what you are doing. I really don't think excess heat in an engine compartment is good for everything else...unless you live above the arctic circle.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:05 AM

Great Idea about the tape. Thanks, plus that pretty much saves me the $100 bones on a new hs, sounds liek I dont need it.

As for the rust belt, yeppers in the middle of it, so I will be going with the 700 degree paint, after the factory crap has burned off. Thanks for the tape idea too