Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

fuel line leak cause hard starts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel line leak cause hard starts?

i know i asked this before and somebody suggested the CSI...and well just curious now because I found a fuel line leak...and I guess it was small and got progressively worse to where I could finally see it. It leaks out faster than diaherria (good analogy huh? lol)

and its not a consant leak, so thats why I'm thinking it HAS to be a gas line leak as I haven't even had a fuel tank in it in weeks so it can't be a leak near the top. so if its leaking out of the line after its turned off and theres no fuel in the line, thats why it would be starting hard correct? and if it was just a gas tank leak then it shouldnt have been starting hard back before I found the leak?

and whats your guys estimate on getting the line replaced? I moved into some apartments and don't have room to keep tools around so I can't do it myself regardless of easibility (hell don't even have a jack anymore )

or better yet, anybody around here in the OKC area that wants to come take a look at it? ive been contemplating selling it to get a downpayment on a 97 TJ but my insurance ran out today and started a new policy fully under my name and switched it to that and I have to keep it on there for at least 6 more months so I have to keep the 4Runner now (and no it wasn't that I didnt' like the 4runner just all the family says its unreliable etc etc). So yeah I kind of need it to start running again lol and if theres nobody from here around me then I guess I'll either go put some gas into a container and attempt to drive it to the shop or get it towed...shops only about a mile away and I drove it for at least 10 miles after I first noticed a bad leak as I had to get home...and luckily the gas leak is coming from near the passenger side and the exhaust is on the other side so it'd be kinda hard to start a fire from hitting the exhaust.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:14 PM
Banned

yes, having no fuel in the lines can cuase hard staring... my carbed truck is like that after sitting all day...
Old 10-01-2004, 10:51 PM
Contributing Member

well, i would guess if theres no fuel = no start?
Old 12-02-2004, 12:49 PM

Just to let you know about my recent fuel line issue.. Decided to drive the 4Runner (91 SR5) to work on Tuesday and noticed a strong gas smell. Bad enough to have to open the sunroof. Pulled over on the highway to find the leak. Went to the rear to see if the gas station attendant over filled (just got a fill up) and was surprized to see fuel raining down over the gas tank. At this point I realized a line went. I was on a toll road so I had to get it off there and on onto a regualr road as tows off a toll road are $$$$. At this point I am 60 miles from home in a truck that will not make it back home and is a fire waiting to happen. Pull in to a garage to have it checked but the mechanic was not in. They gave me direction to another shop less than a mile away. Went there and had the mechanic look at it. Sure enough the pressure port from the pump housing on the tank rusted out requiring a new part from Toyota (not in sock of course $130). Then while removing tank the line from the filter to the flex going to the pump mount just crumbled from rust (also not in stock from Toyota). The tank is in awesome shape, along with the bake lines that also run that length. I was in disbelief looking at the amount of corrosion on the fuel lines, still am now. I would check this area out and fix ASAP. This cost me $500 in labor and parts plus rental car as I was stuck 60 miles from home and have a new car in the driveway. Has anyone seen this before on the second gens? The truck is pretty much clean and in really good shape. BTW Hi and this is my first post here
Old 12-02-2004, 07:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
wow-- r u in a really humic climate? never seen so much rust on a fuel line that it rusted through. but, a friend of mine decided to replace his hard line with braided fuel line because of rusting--i havent seen that before, but then again, i live in CA. Theres not too many rusted through trucks driving around here.

T
Old 12-03-2004, 06:52 AM

Weird thing is this truck is in good shape body wise, not rusted. Even the mechanic (who owns a 90 4Runner) was impressed as to how well the body was. weird... I just posted this info so you guys would be aware and take a peek the next time your under your trucks.....

ShaneV