95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Front Stabilizer Bar Question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Stabilizer Bar Question?

Got to love my 4Runner...

First I loose my skid plate my first off-roading trip (still have to replace that)
Second I almost get sideswiped by a suburban so I push my car into the bushes and now I have no power antenna (got bent and the next time i turned on the rado the entire mast came out)
Thrid I need new tires and alingment, this I notcied after and oilchange after my second off-roading trip (my mother has decided to get me the tires and still searching for what I want, she said the magic words "Whatever you want to get.")

And here is the Fourth.....
I returned home today from a friends house.
I showed him one of the places that I had gone off-road.
I didn't go fast or show off, we just sorta coasted around the safe side of the path to show him what the place offered.....
Well when I got home and I went underneath my rig to clean off some grass (didn't want mom getting pissed again that I went off-road) wehn i notcied something off...
I looked and noticed that the bar that leading from the lower control arm to the stabilizer was not connect.
It seems the the nuts and bushings had come off and the bar had obviously disconected.
I do not knwo if it just happen today or sometime on my second off-roading trip or anytime from then.
I haven't noticed any problems resulting from it, the car still seems to drive fine.
But I guess what my question is can I still drive my rig with that one bar off?
And can I get the parts and fix it myself or will this require me to take it to a mechanic?
Can this also be why my alighnmet is off and that my tires wear is so bad?

Any imput is greatly appreciated since the list of things to fix on this car is growing extremely fast in one year....

And I just rolled over 98k today, and haven't had any major mechanical issues yet (know on wood)

Thanks Again!!!
Old 09-13-2006, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like your sway bar was either disconnected or it came off during the course of your adventure. You could drive with it off, just watch hard cornering in the rain. You will get some extra body roll, and that will make your rig feel as if it drifts a bit.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Now can I do this repair on my own?
Old 09-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
3rd Gen 4Runner Front Sway Bar Quick Disconnects
www.wabfab.org/products/sbel/qd.htm

Old 09-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

AH!! I have to replace the entire Diconnect?

I guess I was hopig it was a matter of going to toyota and geting the nuts and bushings.....
Old 09-13-2006, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Anyone else have any input?
Old 09-14-2006, 04:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, you can fix it yourself. If the nuts/washers just came undone then go to an auto store and match up hardware as best you can. If the link broke you have 2 options.

1) Buy a new link from the Toyota dealer or aftermaket parts place
2) Buy a set of quick disconnects (such as what Wabfab makes) so you can disconnect it when going offroad and you won't end up with this issue again.

Yes, it is possible that having it not connected is contributing to tire wear (although if the wear is excessive, you should get the alignment checked too).

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 09-14-2006 at 04:35 AM.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:43 AM

First, do a search for swaybar or similar. Lots of recent discussions.

Summary, fix it. Easy to do. Toyota parts are $75 each side. Aftermarket $50ish. Quick disco $100+.

My front broke recently. I'm sourcing parts and will replace the sway bar bushings at the same time. I don't feel terribly safe driving on the highway with the front disconnected, as my truck is lifted with a higher CG. Fast turns make me want training wheels...

uberhahn
Old 09-14-2006, 08:10 AM

I ordered a set of quick disconnects from waskillywabbit (link above). I did not want to go with Toyota's again, because mine broke and many of the other members have broken theirs also. I didn't want to keep replacing this weak part in the future. Plus, Toyota's are more expensive.

If you take your endlink off, you can see that you cannot simply get another nut and bolt a new bushing on. The endlink itself has broken in two. Yours probably looks like mine.

I have not received the disconnects yet, but once I do, I'll give a review. Also, you should look at how your sway bar bushings are holding up. I ordered some new ones, because mine were falling off. Here is the recent swaybar bushing discussion thread.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/poly-swaybar-bushings-85293/

123k miles on these bushings.

For tips on taking off the endlinks, look at the first page of this thread, fourth post from the bottom. (thumbs up to Godzilla, once again )

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/sway-bar-link-broken-impressions-91609/

As far as tires, if you just do moderate off-roading, I'd suggest Michelin LTX A/T or Bridgestone REVO A/T (<-- that's what I'm getting).

Last edited by cackalak han; 09-14-2006 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by p nut
I have not received the disconnects yet, but once I do, I'll give a review.
Just dropped them off at the USPS. 2-3 days Priority Mail

Old 09-14-2006, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Just dropped them off at the USPS. 2-3 days Priority Mail

Really? I thought you were a couple more days out. Well, your company is already getting good marks in my book.

Last edited by cackalak han; 09-14-2006 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the imput guys!!
I am going to end up getting the ones from WabFab Off-Road!!!
I went to toyota and they said that a set of 2 of the dissconects were $216.
I told the guy...."Yeah, can you get those parts ready for me? I will be back in tomrrow to pick them up".....I am never gonna show.....

I did check the bushings and for 98k they still look pretty good, maybe by next paycheck I will replace them...

Paycheck to paycheck, anything that dosen't involve normal maintance is all on my tab......and it just keeps growing lol!!

As for the tires i still don't know, a friend of mine has the All-Terrain T/A's By BF Goodrich on his Tacoma and he seems to like it. My stpedad has a set of Goodyear silent armor that have a pretty deep tread suprisingly that I may consider too... I don't know maybe i should just say F*&^ those tires and go with BFgoodrich Mud-Terrains!!!

Thanks again for the help
Old 09-15-2006, 09:06 AM

If you're going to be under there, you might as well do the swaybar bushings. The bushings are $13+shipping, FYI.

And I can't believe Toyota wanted $216 for the endlinks.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Banned

Order today, ship out tomorrow.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:52 PM

Just for an update:

I received the endlinks on Saturday and installed them today. The install was a breeze. The hardest part was taking off the stock endlinks. The WabFab endlinks look stout and (hopefully) I won't have to worry about them breaking again. Two thumbs up for WabFab disconnects from me.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

Great!!!
This Thursday I get paid, and will be ordering them then.
Yeah I tried to get the one bad one off the other day in the pouring rain (cause it keeps knocking and is getting on my last nerve) but it look like it will require me to put it up on the ramps so I can get a better grip and see if i can get the damn things off.

From the look of the links that you got, i think there damn perfect and the ability to disconnect them later is always a plus.

Thanks for the update.

Now I really can't wait to get mine!!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 04:12 AM
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by p nut
Just for an update:

I received the endlinks on Saturday and installed them today. The install was a breeze. The hardest part was taking off the stock endlinks. The WabFab endlinks look stout and (hopefully) I won't have to worry about them breaking again. Two thumbs up for WabFab disconnects from me.
It would be great if you'd leave me THAT feedback in any of my vendor threads or the feedback section!

Old 09-19-2006, 06:52 AM

Here are some pics. I ghetto-tied some wires onto the quick release, because I wanted to be sure that they didn't come undone. Probably overkill, but better safe than sorry.

And, yes, I will have to hack off the top part of the bar. That's this weekend. Also, excuse the mud--I went to Wyoming last weekend and played in the mud for a bit.

wabbit--I'll leave you a feedback on the other threads.

Last edited by cackalak han; 09-19-2006 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

Very Cool!!!!

Excuse Mud!?!?!? Are you kidding lol.....Gotta love Mud!!!

They look great though, I really can;t wait till I get paid now!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

Okay,
Yesterday while putting on my skid plate,
I was trying to take the damaged connector off..
The thing is still on....
It's being stubborn....
Any tips to getting it off without me having to by and impact wrench?

Sorry to bring the post back up to life.

Quick Reply: Front Stabilizer Bar Question?