Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Flex-a-lite is in! (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope, this is the purpose of setting the thermostat correctly. The fan draws plenty of air through the radiator to cool things down, so as long as the fan's thermostat is set to a point at the normal engine operating temp, then things will be fine.

Ya what he said. To set the thermostat you start with it all the way down. Let the truck run till it gets to where your used to seeing the gauge and as soon as it goes past that point you go out and turn the knob on the fan until it kicks on. After that the fan will come on at the point everytime. So far it will only come on after idling for about 10 minutes after the truck is already warmed up. It's been pretty chilly around here too though.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by HBoss
Second, I dont know about you, but when I kick of my AC while floored in 5th gear, I feel an immediate "jerk" and "gain" in power on the freeway.
-I noticed it in my previous 4 cyl. car but not with the 3.4 V6. It remains the same from what I've felt/noticed.
Not trying to be argumentative, just making a couple points.
I noticed this in my wife's old Taco 4cyl too, but I haven't ever noticed it in my 3.4L V6 either. Any american vehicle I've ridden in, no matter what engine or set up, I have always felt the jerk and gain in power when the a/c was clicked off. Just another reason to addd to the list of why I will never own another American car.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by keisur
Any american vehicle I've ridden in, no matter what engine or set up, I have always felt the jerk and gain in power when the a/c was clicked off.
Hmmm...well I dont know what's up with mine. All I know, is that when I need to get around someone or smoke a ricer, I kick off the AC.

I know some Japanese cars (mostly Nissans) disengage the AC at WOT. Well, I know the Sentra SER did it anyway.

Oh well. Its really not that noticeable. Now our Accord, that's a different story.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
Hmmm...well I dont know what's up with mine. All I know, is that when I need to get around someone or smoke a ricer, I kick off the AC.

I know some Japanese cars (mostly Nissans) disengage the AC at WOT. Well, I know the Sentra SER did it anyway.

Oh well. Its really not that noticeable. Now our Accord, that's a different story.
you quoted my opinion of american cars. were you talking about your 4runner or do you have an american car you were talking about?
Old 05-14-2003, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

you quoted my opinion of american cars. were you talking about your 4runner or do you have an american car you were talking about?
I will never own an American car. I put the quote in there only because my truck has similar AC "issues" as American vehicles, as you mentioned. I dont know much about American cars anway...
Old 05-14-2003, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

Here's a write-up on the install on a Taco:

Install

Thanks for the link!
Appreciate it!
Old 05-19-2003, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

Well after 330 miles on Saturday and Sunday I am very happy with the fan. She ran great down the highway and it was much easier to pass people. I can actually acclerate in 5th gear now. Not sure if it was the airbox mod or the fan but I was at 240 miles and still have 1/4 of a tank of gas left. Usually at 220 I need to find a gas station quick! Granted this was all freeway driving but there were 5 adults, two coolers filled with uhhh beverages, all our crap to spend the night somewhere, my tool kit I always thow in for road trips, and we were doing 75 the whole way!! So ya I think I am getting better mileage! Guess while I am at I'll tell you about our weekend. We started drinking at 11am on the road trip up. I didn't cuz I was driving but my passengers were pretty much lit by the time we got there. Then we snuck 5 of us into one hotel room then we ran up a $550 tab at TGI Fridays on shots My buddy went nuts and was buying shots for everyone at the bar. Thank god he picked up most of that tab!! After all that it's now 6pm and we head off to watch the Freestyle Motocross comp. Brian Deegan and the Metal Militia came over from the states. They star in movies like Krusty Demons of Dirt and TerraFirma for those that have heard of that. Around 11pm that thing got over and we all stumbled home. My digicam doesn't work anymore and I had a nice scrape on my arm but all in all it was an awesome weekend!!
Old 05-19-2003, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

I will never own an American car.
I'll raise my beer to this one! I won't either.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by UKMyers
. My digicam doesn't work anymore and I had a nice scrape on my arm but all in all it was an awesome weekend!!
haha, let me guess {judging from experience}, you can't remember how the scrape happened? I've had plenty of those nights back in college.
Old 05-29-2003, 04:55 PM

Well...if anyone has any doubts about whether or not the Flex-a-lite fans can keep up with hot temps....

Let me tell you they have past my test. I was doing stop and go driving all day yesterday and today around Phoenix and the temp gauge never ran above the half mark, never overheated and only ran about a minute or so after turning off the engine.

Oh...by the way...it was 111 degrees yesterday

Paul :fireman:
Old 06-02-2003, 09:17 AM

What model # is your fan? Is it the FLX-165? Thanks
Old 06-02-2003, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

I noticed a DRAMATIC increase in mileage when I installed my
electric fan 2 weekends ago. I don't seem to have as much room
in my lil 2.2 though.

~Wade
Old 06-02-2003, 10:39 AM

After looking at how much room was freed up with the flex-a-lite fans in Christian's engine, and how more cooler it looks than the stock fan, I might have to consider looking into these.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

Rob,

I'm with you on this one. I really liked how it looked on Christian's runner and how much room he has to change belts and such now.

If you want to get a couple of these and install them together, I'm game.

Dan
Old 06-03-2003, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

FYI - Offroad Supply here in Mesa said these are $386.60. WTF is that all about?

Looks like Summit will get my green.

Dan
Old 06-03-2003, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Summit all the way. (I did get mine at Checker, but they are few and far between). They never stock them anyway.

My number one pointer on the install is to use TWO hose clamps on the lower rad hose for the thermo switch probe. Let me know if you need any help. I have done the install 2 times.

This is the write-up I used both times. Cool guy. He answers emails too.

Let me know.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:27 AM

yea I'd like the idea of getting a couple and doing the install at the same time, but right now I need to save my money for my wheels/tires/lift when I get to Indiana. Maybe when I actually do it you could give me directions over the phone christian

dan I gotta say your rig is exactly what I want mine to look like, and I mean EXACTLY, the ome's, the tires, the cb antenna placement, the limited style rocker panels, except the broken interior
Old 06-03-2003, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
except the broken interior
The correct wording should be "under construction"

Seriously though, nice ride.

Rob-

Let me know when you want to swap. I am game while you are still here. (You know what I am talking about).
Old 06-03-2003, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah I know, I know. The interior is a mess right now.

I have decided that I am going to rip out the DVD player that I put in, and get the new one next month when it comes out.

The new one has a 7.5" in-dash screen, its a touch screen, it does MP3, and has 2 zones. It also has a built in TV tuner. I don't see any reason to futz around with this one anymore.

So my interior will go back to stock for now.

If you have any ?'s about my ride. (tires/lift/etc) let me know. The sliders go on friday. That should look nice. I also plan on getting one of those skid plates that azrain and steve are making.

I finally got my Optima battery today. The guy gave me a deal cause I used to work with him at Sears. (small world!)

Peace out guys. Lets go do some WHEELING!

Dan
Old 06-03-2003, 05:56 PM

The correct wording should be "under construction"

Seriously though, nice ride.

Rob-

Let me know when you want to swap. I am game while you are still here. (You know what I am talking about).
Yea but I won't be able to take them off till I get to Indiana. Sorry, and I gotta think about it a little more too! But I'll definitly let you know.