Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 03:32 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Towing & Hauling Guides
Print Wikipost

Finally painting my trailer hitch

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally painting my trailer hitch

Alright, my stock trailer hitch is getting worse and worse...everytime I look at it I say to myself, "this needs to be painted." Well, I've been saying that since I got my 4runner. It's time to do it, but first I need to figure out the most durable way to paint it.

I will probably use a heavy duty wire brush on it to get all the residual crap off of it, and then if necessary use my hand grinder to get off the stubborn rust that is on it. Is there anything else I should use? Probably shouldn't use a solvent or anything since that may get into the metal and keep the primer/paint from sticking.

What kind of paint would you recommend, I was originally gonna get it power coated since a new PC shop just opened down the road a ways from me but I figured I could just buy a new trailer hitch for the amount they would charge. So what would you guys recommend as far as brand/type of paint. I know I will need a metal primer, but then I need to decide if I want to paint it matte black like it is now, or a glossy black to match the finish of the Runner. Then I will probably put some kind of clear coat on it.

Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks guys,

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 08-13-2005 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
POR-15 starter kit. its like $20, has gloves, cleaner, preper paint and brush. Its great stuff, trust me, I live in the rust belt.

Lamm
Old 08-13-2005, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Yep Por-15 is great stuff, use it everythere on my truck. http://www.por-15.com/
Old 08-13-2005, 02:29 PM

if you use por 15 remember that it is affected by UV, so when you put it on its best to put a coat of paint over top or else it will fade to white if it is in a place that is open to sunlight.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

I dont know how expensive it would be, But how about bed liner? Either diy or Rhino, diy would be cheaper and would last if you prep well enough. Something I need to do, that and paint the wind deflector, its really discolored.

Edit: If you used bedliner, make sure you dont get it inside the square receiver, or on top of the mounts, the hitch might not fit properly then.

Last edited by dibble9012; 08-13-2005 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:01 PM

Definately POR-15 for the initial prep. Stuff works killer. I would go with Line-X for the final coating. The franchise you go to should be well aware of the mounting points and hitch hole to keep the spray off. I just had my rack lined and it was well worth it. They spend extra time prepping it and making sure the seal would be top notch. I need to do the same on my '95 4R.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah I could do that but, now that I have taken the hitch off I really like how the rig looks without that huge bulky hitch back there...I am thinking of looking into getting a hidden hitch or one that is not so noticeable.

So, if I were to go that route I need some suggestions! Definitely the less noticeable the better and preferably something I could drill holes to mount the little connector housing that Toyota has on the stock hitch, I love that feature!

One reason I want to do this is for looks, but another is because one of the bolts that holds the connector housing on was completely broke, the top of the bult just twisted right off with minimal amount of pressure applied, not sure how I am going to get that out and salvage the threads in the whole. But mainly its just to get it out of the way.

So...ideas on hitches! Thanks guys!

Fink
Old 08-13-2005, 09:47 PM
Contributing Member

Found this one online...what do you think? Is this the kind that is mainly hidden by the bumper? If so, doesn't seem like a bad deal. I'm sure I could drill into this hitch and figure out a way to mount the connector housing.

What do you guys think???

http://www.etrailer.com/productdetai...rfrom=1999&h=e

EDIT: I forgot to post this link, rocket pointed out that the above unit is a copy-cat version of Hidden Hitch, looks like the one below is the one I should get huh? Opinions please!!

http://www.hidden-hitch.com/products...&model=4Runner

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 08-14-2005 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

LoL, OK, found another one...this one says it requires drilling but it seems likes as far as visibility this would be the way to go, says that it tucks out of sight pretty easily. Anybody have any ideas on how much drilling would be needed?

LoL, so feedback on both of the ones listed above would be great!

Thanks,

Fink
Old 08-13-2005, 10:24 PM

Yeah definately do the POR 15 kit. You will get Marine Clean degreaser, Metal Ready which is a rust remover and etcher that helps the paint adhere, and the POR-15 paint. Make sure you take precautions to avoid getting the POR-15 paint on your skin as it will stay there until the layer of skin naturally dies. I had it on my skin for over a week before it came off.

Once you do the POR-15 system you will NOT have to worry about it rusting again and you can do whatever you want on top of that (Be it bedline it, powdercoat it, what have you).

Make sure you follow the POR-15 instructions and it will be permanent.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:51 PM
Contributing Member

http://www.hidden-hitch.com/product...&vehicleid=2591

That DrawTight you linked is a copy-cat of the original 'Hidden Hitch'. Every time i see a hitch that looks "good" and is well hidden, i'll take a closer look to see who made it and 10 times out of 10 its HiddenHitch.
Not only that but after comparing the two, i noticed the H.H. weighs less, is the same price, and has equal tow ratings.
If it were me, i'd go with the H.H. anyday on any vehical.

Last edited by rocket; 08-13-2005 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

Any opinions? The one in the first link is apparently a copy-cat model so I don't think thats what I want. The second link is a genuine Hidden Hitch design, should this be pretty easy to install?

Any ideas are helpful, I need to get this rolling because I'm going camping this weekend and bringing all my bikes and 4-wheelers and need the trailer.

Thanks guys!

Fink
Old 08-14-2005, 09:58 PM

Has any one used Hammerite paint and what do you think? I have never used POR 15 but I am going to check it out. It sounds good.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:48 PM
Contributing Member

Fink, trust me and just get the Hidden Hitch. Its easy to install and you wont be disapointed.

Just some FYI: I use to sell trailer hitches at Tractor Supply Co. ...that is why i look at ones that look good.

Last edited by rocket; 08-14-2005 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
Any opinions? The one in the first link is apparently a copy-cat model so I don't think thats what I want. The second link is a genuine Hidden Hitch design, should this be pretty easy to install?

Any ideas are helpful, I need to get this rolling because I'm going camping this weekend and bringing all my bikes and 4-wheelers and need the trailer.

Thanks guys!

Fink
I thought there was a mod that took the existing OEM hitch system and flipped the bar that hold the hitch itself upside down. Took some bumper trimming but from what I remember it looked pretty good and improved the rear departure angle.
AG
Old 08-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah but I can't see how that would work with this particular hitch, I mean, if you flipped it, the brackets would be hanging down too low.

Sounds like I'll be ordering the Hidden Hitch...thanks for all the advice.

Add more comments if you'd like, I won't be ordering til tomorrow.

Fink