Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Factory Aux light harness install help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 11:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Factory Aux light harness install help!

Recently ordered an OEM Toyta aux light harness. I have installed in accordance with the provided instructions. Only probelm is it will not work and even trying to figure out the wiring I can not see how to make it work.

The relay is a hella relay and has 4 contacts. The issue is the as follows

Four contacts in the relay:
30 - RED to fuse/battery
85 - BLACK to GRD
86 - YELLOW to switch +
87 - GREEN to light +

black also goes to (-) side of switch, (-) side of lights

Relay imprint on side shows that contacts 86 & 87 energize the coil for the relay. I have been sratching my head trying to figure out how Toyota expects this set up to work. And if you managed to energize the coil you short the battery to ground!

The instructions have you connect the BLACK wire of the harness to the chassis, RED to battery terminal, GREEN and BLACK are in a cable bundle that are mouted in front of the radiator mount for the lights. A wire bundle is then routed through the firewall and contain the YELLOWand BLACK These two wires have crimped connectors which are connected to the switch mounted in the cab. This switch is a Toyota OEM switch but only has two contacts. There are only two wires in the bundle that came through the firewall.

I have seen all other write ups on aux lights (driving,fog Aux) and they are all using 3 contact switches. Has anyone used the OEM harness and the described relay and OEM switch? I can't figure out how this issupposed to work and it doesn't work. Any solutions? Recommendations? Fixes? Thanks

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 01-14-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:32 PM

Old 01-14-2008, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You've probably already found this, but maybe it will help:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/1...ctions-119070/
Old 01-14-2008, 12:36 PM

Yes, I had already seen this but this is for a 99-02 complete fog light set which includes all the brackets etc. The instructions describe installation of a complete set up into the steering column. The harness I got is a Toyota harness but does not contain all the items needed for the install of the as described in this instruction set. In fact it is only the harness, the relay and fuse holder. The only wires that go into the drivers compartment are the two connectors for the switch. Nothing is there to connect the harness to the wires in the light switch in the steering column. My kit came with instructions that were two pages long. It described a very basic installation attaching the wire runs for the lights to the radiator supports, routing the remaining wires to the driver's side fender well and routing the pair of wires through the fire wall. It details connection of the Red and Black wires to the battery post and fender ground attachment points respectively, the yellow and black to the two connection points on the light switch. The two remaining wires are ended in plugs for the fog lights to connect to. I installed this EXACTLY as it details but there is no way it can work and in fact it doesn't. I was hoping someone had installed one of these Toyota wiring harness' that could help me out. It comes with a Hella relay, the complete harness and wiring. Only issue is this kit is just that, the harness and the relay. If you read my post I explained this but thanks for trying to help.

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 01-14-2008 at 12:43 PM.