Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Face it guys, the 2003 Runner is......

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Rise from your grave" you 3 yr. old thread.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lee
my views?

just read trunner's info on everything except the 3rd gen. i could not possibly disagree with him more (and ive never once heard a 3rd row of seats in the 3rd gen).

i dont think the 4th gen was a return to offroading at all. but its a great starter truck, like any yota truck before it.
i dunno, even stock it was awesome off-road with the locking center diff
Old 06-24-2005, 07:47 PM

I really like the look of your 4th gen Rocky. It looks like it is going to kick some ARSE. I like the look of the older Tacomas 95.5 to 97. (Remember older Taco commercial where it runs over camera and stands over top of it like try something and you will get it again) I guess I will just have to drive my 94 (Arse beater) cause I like the price of it ($2000 ). Just my ramblings for the night!
Old 06-24-2005, 07:51 PM
Banned

once, MoMo.75 made me a cool avatar and put stars on the sides of my truck and made it look like a military truck.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TRunner
My $0.02....

1st gen: Tough ass trail rig no mater where you go and very basic for easy work on it.

2nd gen: Added luxury from the 1st gen, better on road handleing, not quite the rock crawler of the 1st gen, but deffinately off-roads like a champ.

3rd gen: They geared this one fro the soccor mom. Not as great off-road and too loaded on the inside (3rd row seat and such) to be called a "utility" vehicle.

4th gen: Finally got back to getting it off road but you better have moeny to make it worthy of doing so. Many new complicated things to break, but more solid and more worthy then the 3rd.

All and all the best trail rig remains to be the 1st. The best trail/dd rig remains the second. The best for adding flare is up to the 3rd and 4th generations to battle over, but at least the 4th returned to the off road aspect of things.

(protective flame suit now on)
All of the different versions have their strengths and weaknesses, but I do have to disagree on your belief that a stock 3rd gen is less capable than the 2nd gen. Example the e-locker, better steering, coilover front suspension, the 3.4L engine......

As for the 4ths returning to the offroad aspects, actually they went more to the on-road, no stick shift option, less ground clearance, no e-locker....

Stock vs stock the 1999 sport edition had the most ground clearance and e-locker making it more capable than any of the other editions. To say a shorter wheelbase makes a rig better is a wash, it really depends on the trail.

As for the third row seating, never seen them, but have heard of an aftermarket one being avaliable, but is meant for small children, since the space in the cargo compartment is way too tight.

When it comes to modifying them, the 4th gens are the hardest, for a decent rear bumper you have to cut off part of the frame, to add 35" tires the front frame mount had to be relocated, to add a crawl box, the fuel tank has to be relocated. I wheeled with Lance before and after the ARB rear locker was added, it helped him go places he was never able to go before.

Which edition is the best????? This is in the hands of each and every user on this board, since it really depends on how deep your pockets are. Any one of them can be built into an awesome trail rig.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Contributing Member

Has anyone seen that video when someone took an H2 out on a trail where a little part of it is crossing over some medium-sized rocks? Well anyways, when it's the H2's turn to cross, the whole left-front wheel mount just snaps off.

I haven't seen anything like it happen, as I said, the rocks weren't even that big especially not on such a 'tough' vehile .

I am gonna try and find that video now...
Old 06-24-2005, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by marko3xl3
Has anyone seen that video when someone took an H2 out on a trail where a little part of it is crossing over some medium-sized rocks? Well anyways, when it's the H2's turn to cross, the whole left-front wheel mount just snaps off.

I haven't seen anything like it happen, as I said, the rocks weren't even that big especially not on such a 'tough' vehile .

its actually been posted on here about 3 or 4 times.. shouldnt be too hard to find

Originally Posted by Crux
Do 2nd gens come with factory locker?
not that i've ever seen or heard of..

Last edited by green91runner; 06-24-2005 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by green91runner
its actually been posted on here about 3 or 4 times.. shouldnt be too hard to find
Yeah, I am not surprised since this is an off-road forum. I am kind of new here so I didn't know, sorry.

But anyways, kind of proves a point there doesn't it . Hummers are made for long-duration desert driving, not hard-core off-roading like 4Runners.

http://www.marko3xl3.com/videos/hummer-wheel.wmv

(for all of you who haven't seen it, and so that I never lose it again )
Old 06-24-2005, 11:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BruceTS
All of the different versions have their strengths and weaknesses, but I do have to disagree on your belief that a stock 3rd gen is less capable than the 2nd gen. Example the e-locker, better steering, coilover front suspension, the 3.4L engine......

As for the 4ths returning to the offroad aspects, actually they went more to the on-road, no stick shift option, less ground clearance, no e-locker....

Stock vs stock the 1999 sport edition had the most ground clearance and e-locker making it more capable than any of the other editions. To say a shorter wheelbase makes a rig better is a wash, it really depends on the trail.

As for the third row seating, never seen them, but have heard of an aftermarket one being avaliable, but is meant for small children, since the space in the cargo compartment is way too tight.

When it comes to modifying them, the 4th gens are the hardest, for a decent rear bumper you have to cut off part of the frame, to add 35" tires the front frame mount had to be relocated, to add a crawl box, the fuel tank has to be relocated. I wheeled with Lance before and after the ARB rear locker was added, it helped him go places he was never able to go before.

Which edition is the best????? This is in the hands of each and every user on this board, since it really depends on how deep your pockets are. Any one of them can be built into an awesome trail rig.

...and THAT ladies and gentlemen pretty much sums it all up!
Old 06-25-2005, 04:32 AM
lee
Contributing Member

yea bruce did great!
Old 06-25-2005, 04:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Sherpa
Ted,

I have to disagree on a couple of your comments and correct you on some of your facts. Facts first: The 3rd Gen never offered a 3rd row of seats, in fact, the first and maybe even second year of the 4th Gen didn't have 3rd row seats either, although it is now available.

-S

AAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNN wrong!! Please try again. The third row seating was an available option on a third gen. It was about $900.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by marko3xl3

The guy posts on this board as well. Give any truck enough gas like he did, and it will snap off as well.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cebby
FYI - not sure if you knew. Whitey, who started this thread, DID end up getting an H2. That's why he' not around anymore.
That's a shame. He coulda gotten a 4th gen for probably $20K less. Some people just like the bling a H2 conveys.