Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

fabtech lift...do you like it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 11:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fabtech lift...do you like it?

So I'm looking into a 3.5" fabtech performance lift, and I'm wondering who out there has this, or has had it. If you got some experience with this setup, I'd love to hear about/
Thanks,
Ian
Old 06-25-2004, 05:21 AM
Banned

i have the 4" fabtech spindle... it doesnt improve any suspension geometry or anything like the one you are looking at... but fabtech is a GREAT company, very top notch.... other than the price, its awesome... go ofr it
Old 06-25-2004, 10:10 AM

Is your truck a 4WD? If so the Fabtech kit that includes upper a-arms will not work. Also if your truck is 4WD (even with manual hubs) the most lift you can properly run is 2.5". By lifting the truck (with stock width basic lift kits) you are not gaining any actual suspension travel you are just setting where the truck sits in the stroke of it's travel (higher or lower). The Tacoma has about 7" of travel stock, and it sits more or less 50/50 right in the middle of it's stroke which equals about 3.5" of bump (up-travel) and 3.5" of droop (down-travel). So by lifting the truck 3.5" you basically have zero droop and close to 7" of bump. Having the truck sit like that will make it ride terrible on anything other than the smoothest paved roads. If you want to keep the truck stock track width and gain a tremendous amount of performance, the only way to accomplish that is by adding a coil-over system that actually has more stroke than the stock shocks do. The only product that fits that description on the market today is the Donahoe Racing coil-over. It will allow for almost 9" of travel when combined with Total Chaos uni-ball upper control arms (which are designed to sit at close to stock angles on a slightly lifted truck). If you have a 2WD truck Fabtech's lift spindles are a great idea because they provide lift by pushing the wheels down farther away from the truck but they don't actually change the suspension geometry. This is why lift spindles work with 2WD and don't work with 4WD trucks.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by ianshoots
So I'm looking into a 3.5" fabtech performance lift, and I'm wondering who out there has this, or has had it. If you got some experience with this setup, I'd love to hear about/
Thanks,
Ian
Yep, I have this on my 01 with 97,000 miles on it. The earlier versions of this kit were caught with lower shock bushing issues. As in rapidly wearing out. Sure enough, mine did exactly that, but rebushing was not a huge issue.

Zero problems with it since then. The new version bushings are showing zero wear.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SEAN_at_TLT
Is your truck a 4WD? If so the Fabtech kit that includes upper a-arms will not work. Also if your truck is 4WD (even with manual hubs) the most lift you can properly run is 2.5".
*snip*
The only product that fits that description on the market today is the Donahoe Racing coil-over. It will allow for almost 9" of travel when combined with Total Chaos uni-ball upper control arms (which are designed to sit at close to stock angles on a slightly lifted truck). If you have a 2WD truck Fabtech's lift spindles are a great idea because they provide lift by pushing the wheels down farther away from the truck but they don't actually change the suspension geometry. This is why lift spindles work with 2WD and don't work with 4WD trucks.
The kit I'm looking into has replacement coilovers....not spindles....they are fox a adjustables....I'm not sure I follow you....do these coilovers have them same amt. of travel as stock, hence they have the problem you describe?

(btw, what about lifting the rear with aal's? I presume one just needs switch to a longer travel shock, yes?)
thanks,
Ian
Old 06-25-2004, 09:15 PM
Banned

lifting the rear 4" with aals is a bad idea! not good at all... will ride like poop! get yourself lift leaves with more/thinner leaves and some arch to them
Old 06-25-2004, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by ianshoots
Thanks,
Ian
I would recommend SAWS ($650), Kings ($850), or Donahoes ($950) over Fagtech products any day. Set them at 2-2.5 inches of lift for a nice ride. All are better coilovers than the Fagtechs. All offer more "performance" than the Fagtechs.

Downey AAL in the rear and Bilstein 5100's (longer than stock) will ride very nice.

Do you have a 4wd? or Prerunner?
Old 06-26-2004, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by calamaridog
I would recommend SAWS ($650), Kings ($850), or Donahoes ($950) over Fagtech products any day. Set them at 2-2.5 inches of lift for a nice ride. All are better coilovers than the Fagtechs. All offer more "performance" than the Fagtechs.

Downey AAL in the rear and Bilstein 5100's (longer than stock) will ride very nice.

Do you have a 4wd? or Prerunner?
4WD....
so I'm getting conflicting messages (big suprise) are aal's good or is it better to replace the whole leafpack as stated above?

I'm sure this is all hashed out here on a yearly basis, but what the heck.

Also, anyone know the sites for the above companies? (google here I come)

Last edited by ianshoots; 06-26-2004 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:03 AM

i have SAWs and revtek diff drop in the front (set at about 4" lift), AAL and shackles in the rear. (4.5" lift)

ride is fine, travel decent in the front, great in the rear. if you have the money, get the SAWs, and AALs are fine (and cheap) for your rear lift.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:03 PM

http://www.donahoeracing.com/ (Donahoes)

http://www.camburg.com/about.html (for SAWS)

http://www.kingshocks.com/ (I love my KINGS)

As far as the AAL goes, it is MUCH CHEAPER. This is why we are recommending it. Some AAL ride better than others. I like the Downey AAL.

New complete springs are very expensive $350-750. If you get the AAL and longer shocks now, you can defer the complete set until your stock springs are totally worn out or break. If money is no concern, then knock yourself out
Old 06-26-2004, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by calamaridog
http://www.donahoeracing.com/ (Donahoes)

http://www.camburg.com/about.html (for SAWS)

http://www.kingshocks.com/ (I love my KINGS)

As far as the AAL goes, it is MUCH CHEAPER. This is why we are recommending it. Some AAL ride better than others. I like the Downey AAL.

New complete springs are very expensive $350-750. If you get the AAL and longer shocks now, you can defer the complete set until your stock springs are totally worn out or break. If money is no concern, then knock yourself out
Ah...if money were no concern......I wouldn't be cruising the classifieds here looking for a deal on a lift.

Regarding the Downey's, I was checking out that site and it appears that what they sell are complete rear spring assemblies (at a very reasonable price), am I misreading the info (I wouldn't be suprised).

Thanks for the links, and for everyones input and insight.

Last edited by ianshoots; 06-26-2004 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:20 PM

Give Downey a call, there internet site sucks badly. Talk to the guy on the phone and get the 411. He should be able to give you the p/n for the longer shocks too.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=SEAN_at_TLT]
*edit*If you want to keep the truck stock track width and gain a tremendous amount of performance, the only way to accomplish that is by adding a coil-over system that actually has more stroke than the stock shocks do. The only product that fits that description on the market today is the Donahoe Racing coil-over. It will allow for almost 9" of travel when combined with Total Chaos uni-ball upper control arms (which are designed to sit at close to stock angles on a slightly lifted truck). *edit*QUOTE]

Must the upper and or lower Arms be replaced, or is it possible to gain a reasonable increase in both lift and travel (although obviously reduced) while replacing ONLY the coilver?
Old 08-14-2004, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

back up there

looking at some SAWS on ebay, so I thought I'd try and revive this.
Of the better coilover makers, is it correct that only donahoes (or maybe it was kings, it has been a good two minutes since re-reading this thread) allow for increased travel, instead of just reducing the available droop? I know loads of you have SAWS, love 'em? Hate 'em?

thanks,
Ian
Old 08-14-2004, 08:15 PM

This response was posted at TTORA recently by one of the guys at Donahoe.

"Well there are a few reasons why the Donahoe shock is better. We have the most wheel travel of all the coil-overs on the market. It has the tightest packaging available at full compression. The oil we use is Torco 7wt Synthetic for the best possible life. Torco is the same oil we use in all our Trophy Truck Race truck shocks we have ever built.We use a chrome silicon spring of highest quality that can hold extra loads like bumpers and winches with out sagging. It’s the only shock with spring good enough to have a guaranteed not to sag warrantee. We use a nitro steel shaft that will not pit or rust (all chrome shafts will.). We make the only coil-over with a hydraulic droop stop at full extension. (This is a huge plus for never getting a clunk noise on droop and never feeling the jerk on the wheels). On top of all that we have the only digressive piston in a Tacoma coil-over. This allows us way more valving capabilities for more bleed with lots of rebound control that a linier piston (all other shocks) can not offer. With all the cool components it means nothing unless you test, test and test some more. Donahoe Racing is the only Shock manufacturer that is actually racing on the product. The same Coil-over that you buy from us has ran the Baja 1000 off the shelf. And the other huge factor is we have been designing racing suspension science the 70’s. That’s Longer the ALL our competitors."

Now with that being said, I love my Kings and haven't had a chance to ride or drive in a Donahoe equipped truck. You can find used kings now for around $700 bucks in excellent shape, as a matter of fact, Jason Demello had several good used pairs recently.