Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

expensive sounding noise turns into low $$ fix!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
expensive sounding noise turns into low $$ fix!

Driving to work yesterday I was getting ready to make the turn into the parking lot and was treated to a horrible, heart stopping, wallet puckering noise from the front end of my '85 4Runner that was coming from either the engine compartment or the front axle area.
I took it out of gear and coasted into the parking lot and the sound quit, then started again after going over a speedbump. Making ready for an expensive punch in the wallet I parked it and looked under the hood with the engine running. Nothing. Revved it. Nothing. Worried now. Looked into the front driver side wheel well and for some bizarre reason there was a napkin on the front caliper. I had checked the oil the last time I had gotten gas and had used the paper napkin. I felt both relief and consternation. It seemed to be the problem, but how would a paper napkin make such a noise? I pondered it while at work thinking that maybe it had gotten into the fan and sounded like a kite on acid, but wasn't satisfied.
Later I went to get some lunch and no noise. Must have been the napkin?
Get to the drive up window, start to turn and there it is again. Great. Now I'm wondering if I'm even going to make it back to work. At least I'll have trouble on a full stomach. Get back to work and check the wheel well again. I recently stuck a new set of shocks on the truck and when I did I was in a big hurry since I was supposed to be somewhere. I got in so much of a hurry that I had left the retainers that fit on the shocks for the extended brake lines dangling on the brake lines with the zip tie still on them. The one on the driver side had finally fallen down to the caliper and the zip tie was getting caught on the tire and making a hell of a ruckus out of it and the brake line retainer! Problem solved.
What sounded like a dented credit card turned into less than pop money. I just wish they were all like that!

Last edited by Fahrenheit 451; 02-17-2004 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Glad to hear that it wasn't an expensive repair. One thing I always do when I finish a job is to double check everything to make sure nothing was missed.