Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Exhaust and bumper recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust and bumper recommendations

The first things on my list of things to change on my runner are the bumper and the exhaust. Im not looking at getting a winch bumper (but if it was around $400, i would get it) but just something that looked a little better than the stock bumper. I dont like that the bottom part of the front(the bumper) sticks out more that the top part of the bumper. As for an exhaust system goes, i just want something that sounds good and will improve my fuel economy and maybe so more power. any pics of bumpers and where to buy them would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Old 02-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
magnaflow 18'' muffler #11255
http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...t=MVI_1497.flv
Old 02-02-2010, 05:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are pretty limited with front bumper options. The ARB is about the only "off the shelf" option. You could go custom but that is some bucks or build your own.

Post what type vehicle. That will help so we can help more.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:54 AM

i have a 2000 4runner sr5 the arb bumpers are pretty reasonable esecially if i could get it used but i didnt see them make one for my year
Old 02-02-2010, 07:13 AM

People buy the Tacoma ARB bumper for the 4runner. It's almost a 4R bolt on from what I've read.

I wanted a new bumper for my 1999 4r, I hit a pole and needed to replace the bumper. After evaluating my limited options I when OEM becasue I didn't find an aftermarket I liked and could afford. These were my top aftermarket options however.

1. Shrockworks, everyone says good things about them but the cost is a little too much for me. Although I think it's a good price to value ratio

http://shrockworks.com/Toyota-4Runne...-pr-16217.html

2. Kennsaw Mtn - I like the price and appearance, some people say they take a long time to deliver

http://www.kenmtn.com/html/wincher.asp

I like my TRD exahust, I bought it because it was easy. There are cheaper ways to get a better exhaust but mine TRD sounds great and is a factory part. I belive you have duel cat 4r? There is a different exhaust for the duel cat v the single cat.

http://www.andysautosport.com/toyota...u00149967.html

Mine has a balona cut tip rather than what is shown in the pic
Old 02-02-2010, 02:06 PM

TJM bumpers, I have a T15 and love it.
DO NOT GO WITH KENNESAW!!!!! I speak from experience so unless you're local to them and they can fit it to your vehicle directly and you can supervise the process don't even consider these retards.
Exhaust, Flowmaster 50 is also an option.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by terminator
TJM bumpers, I have a T15 and love it.
DO NOT GO WITH KENNESAW!!!!! I speak from experience so unless you're local to them and they can fit it to your vehicle directly and you can supervise the process don't even consider these retards.
Exhaust, Flowmaster 50 is also an option.
What would you suggest as an option as a rear bumper, Kennesaw is the only option I've stumbled across
Old 02-02-2010, 04:30 PM

Go with a Borla cat back... it is simple and easy. Just but an axle back on my ISF. Auto anything has them pretty cheep.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Red3.slow
What would you suggest as an option as a rear bumper, Kennesaw is the only option I've stumbled across
The Kennesaw front is too bulky for me but the rear looks pretty good. And yes that may be the only "off the shelf" rear bumper for our 4runners. And for $400, it's hard to build one for that (steel and consumables). The only thing that I don't like is the optional tow receiver. How it is just welded on the bottom. You don't want that. You want it frenched into the bottom so you don't loose departure clearance. I would buy without the receiver and have someone local cut and weld one into it.

Like this.

It looks like they do two different types of recovery points. (welded on loose swinging rings and a welded on fixed point) I'm not a big fan of the free swinging rings, they would rattle all the time. The fixed points, you run a shackle thru them when needed, this is the way I would go.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:30 AM

Couple vids of my TRD system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYf7hdXIRGs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXaTNQbSKxU
Old 02-03-2010, 02:57 AM

There are many options for the bumpers. ARB have Prado and Tacoma which can be fitted to 4Runner. Prado is wider and good for "Limited" fenders. Shrockworks is nice too. There are also other options, but they are tubular which I don't like personally, not practical as road debris gets inside.
Rear has a few options, but I'd recommend go with CBI. I have 2 CBIs and they are awesome. Knowing Steve for a few years and his one of a kind fab guy.
I didn't know that Borla was making cat-back for 3rd Gen. I couldn't find any cat backs from any manufacture as my mufler in 2001 is basically gone.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:53 AM

Iribis is a great bumper, I've seen it in person so I'd go with them. Stay away from KMA!

Originally Posted by Red3.slow
Old 02-03-2010, 05:54 AM

Yea, great call Terminator. I forgot about Iribis, I like their bumpers too. No personal experiance but they appear like a solid option.

http://irbisoffroad.com/bumpers_front-link.asp

It's a "winch" bumper but... to run a winch the grill needs to be removed. So if you are not planning for a winch it's an option to keep your grill while you go winchless. As you can see in the linked photos, the side profile is smaller/shorter than some other "winch" bumbers. This may fit with your desire to have a shorter front bumper as you are not a fan of the big lip on the OEM. If you later decide to add a winch, you can. The Iribis has some of the panels like the shrockworks with a tube style center.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by terminator
Iribis is a great bumper, I've seen it in person so I'd go with them. Stay away from KMA!
I stumbled across them a few years ago when I was looking at bumpers for my 2nd gene and just completely forgot about them. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2010, 05:39 PM

I highly recommend the Addicted Offroad front bumper. I got mine with out the stinger. It bolts up perfectly. I was able to install it by myself.

For the rear I got the trail-gear rear tube bumper that is the marlin crawler knock-off. Very beefy, stout bumper for a great price. Best to test fit the bumper first BEFORE you paint or powder coat. It was a little too narrow to fit the frame and I had to grind off some material to get it to slide on after I painted it real purdy. It's still a good bumper and I recommend it.

I have the Downey 2.5" header and exhaust system. They are out of business now. However, my fuel mileage increased from 19 mpg to 21.5 ~ 22 mpg on the highway after adding the exhaust and CAI to an otherwise stock truck. The only trade off is that mo-fo is pretty loud now.

You could go with an LCE 2.25" system with great results.