Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Engine removal....who has done it??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Note that I had a 5spd manual, but I found that taking out the bolts holding the engine to the bell housing very easy to get at when you have the right tools.
I used a deep socket, a 'u-joint' , and then a number of long extensions so I could position the ratchet behind the transfer case.

I had to back them off 1/2 a turn with the ratchet, and used a 1/2" driver in my cordless to do the rest of the threading.

The dust cover I did the opposite, after the rad was out I could get some 3/8 extensions passed the lower engine to undo the bolts holding the dust cover.

I did not have to deal with a flywheel connected to a torque converter though. But those shouldn't be too hard.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would try to yank them together and install them together.
A pit will help quite a bit but a come-along and a second pulley with rope to lift the rear of the combo would be preferred.

Creating a desired amount of control over the engine and trans is the important thing to think about.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, how do they build 4Runners in the factory that makes them so difficult to take apart or service? Do they put the engine & drive train on the frame first and then body-on-frame, then all the wiring etc.? From an electrical engineer's point of view this is a nightmare which invariably adds service cost. You wouldn't build the internet this way, but then again it went through several evolutions before it got where it is today. Same with computers. Oh, back to the initial subject, is there a smart way to remove engine and tranny and transfer case all in one piece? Can it be done? How about removing the transfer case from the tranny which is easier to access? The book says don't do that but I'm just wondering why not?

(p.s. I would start my own post on this engine removal issue but as a new or occasional user I guess Yotatech won't allow me to.)
Old 07-04-2013, 08:08 AM

eddileephd & arjan - thanks for the additional input. I have access to whatever I need to do the job, and may cut out the body steel in front of the radiator on the wrecked rig, or possibly remove the steering box to aid in removing the engine/tranny/transfer case as a unit.
Attached Thumbnails Engine removal....who has done it??-003.jpg  

Last edited by supraman1; 07-04-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 07-14-2013, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by supraman1
eddileephd & arjan - thanks for the additional input. I have access to whatever I need to do the job, and may cut out the body steel in front of the radiator on the wrecked rig, or possibly remove the steering box to aid in removing the engine/tranny/transfer case as a unit.
If the truck is destined for the scrap yard, get the sawzall out and go crazy. I cut the whole front core support out and literall, the engine and trans popped out in 5 minutes.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:32 PM

I've been delayed on this project and thank everyone for their input. Cutting out the front end seems like a great idea. But, I still have to remove the old engine & tranny from the good 4Runner but it may give me the education and insight I need on how things fit together. I won't be using an official FSM. On a related note my son-in-law says the front frame core may be saleable to someone looking for replacement body parts so I shouldn't do it. I say what the heck, it can't be worth that much? Once I strip what I want off the wrecked unit it will go to the heap except for maybe stuff that might be saleable.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

Link

This guy was kind enough to document his engine removal experience. You'll probably have to copy and paste the url:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...e-removal.html

I spent much time researching; it was the best guide found.

--ibil
Old 11-04-2013, 09:04 AM

You can leave the transmission in. For me, it was the better option and simply unbolt the exhaust and bellhousing. Support the transmission with a jack and I used a ratcheting strap for extra insurance.
Kevin