Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Elbow Intake mod (alternative to the deckplate)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 12:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elbow Intake mod (alternative to the deckplate)

Dubbed as the "E.I." mod.

After doing ALL the research and reading imaginable about the infamous "Deckplate mod", i read a few compliants that i didn't exactly like and for the most part, seemed to be overlooked. It is one of the oldest, cheapest, and most popular 3.4L mods ever invented, but i saw some room for improvement.

Seeing how the deckplate mod functions, i realized it had potential downfalls which i'm going to elaborate on to help explain why i choose a different route...

The deckplate (obviously) allows air to be sucked in from ALL directions around the front of your airbox into a _flat_ opened wall. Besides air, it can also allow excessive dirt/dust to enter due to it's unobstructed surface. Although it might be minimal, it was still enough that made me think twice. A few guys said they got so tired of constently replacing/cleaning their air filter(s) that they capped their deckplate for good because it wasn't worth having it open. Considering the reported performance gains, that was kinda hard to believe but it made sense so i thought of other possible reasons:

A) The first apparent reason could be based on geographical locations where airborne dust is more commonly known. But that still didn't make enough sense why anyone would cap their Deckplate forever because the performance gains that i achieved with a similar mod are truely amazing. So what else could there be? The next two reasons can be argued but i'm confident there accurate even if by a small extent:
B) From a design standpoint, the Elbow Intake mod strictly brings in cooler air as where the Deckplate mod allows warmer air coming from near the engine and radiator. So there could be a signifcant difference in airflow temperatures. Colder is better.
C) Using engineering principles, the Elbow Intake should increase air velocity therefore resulting in greater airflow efficiency.
D) Some do a 6" deckplate (big mistake IMO) and others do a 4" (recommended). I'll leave it at that.

Another reason for Deckplate complaints is excessive noise. Some love it while others disliked it. I have no problem with more engine/intake noise if i know it's for a good reason. The "EI" mod isn't loud at all but it does have a very nice distictive sound.

Next on the list of Deckplate concerns/complaints is the possibility of water entering the airbox (uncapped) during a water crossing, mudding, etc. Although unlikey, it has happened and is possible depending on the level of severity. In short, the chances of that happening would be less likely with an Elbow Intake.

If you don't already know, look in front of your air box and notice where all the "openings" are for air to travel or enter; specifcally around your headlight, hood, grill, underneath the valance, near the radiator fan, etc. This is how all the air and whatever else (dirt/dust/water) can make it's way to a _flat_ open airbox. If you drove through water/mud or a dust-wind storm then you can picture for yourself the possiblities what of can enter through those passages. Fortunately, the deckplate mod allows you to plug/cap the hole. But do you really want to pop your hood everytime you encounter these scenarios? Will you always remember or have enough time? For example: I've often driven in nice weather but then suddenly i'm going through clouds of dust from strong winds.

So i started thinking of a way to help reduce or eliminate the above complaints and concerns without needing to cap my air box. I came up with the idea of a 90 degree elbow that had to have the following...
1) Be an effective "tool" against dust, water, and excessive noise.
2) One as big as possible while having a specific size/shape so it would have enough room to fit.
3) Would allow a secondary replaceable "air filter" like a nylon stocking.
4) Could attach easily.
5) Produce the same or even better deckplate mod performance.

I knew i needed to go to junkyards in search of the elbow that i had in mind but luckily i found my solution before doing that. To make a long story short, I took my chances and bought an OEM elbow from none other than a 3.4L equipped 4runner or Tacoma. After a little eyeballing and test fitting, i confirmed that it would fit perfectly.

So i began...

* The first thing i did was unbolt my airbox but leave it "in place".
Next, i removed the windshiled washer fluid fill tube and then placed the elbow against the airbox. After positioning it with different calculations, i marked-outlined the *elbow collar* to where it needed to be mounted.
Before marking it, I made sure the elbow *inlet* was placed downward as much as possible (for maximum airflow) but still assuring the hardware could be fastened without being interrupted from the "ribs" located inside the airbox. Other things that i considerd was ease of access to the headlight bulb/wire harness and to one of the airbox bolts.

If your still interested, continue on...

The elbow:

I removed 4 short flanges so it would sit flush against the airbox:

I also removed all the foam-like material:

Cut hole in airbox:

Drilled the mounting holes:

Put down a bead of silicone:

Mounted it:

Looking inside:

Up close:
[/QUOTE]

I used this hardware:

Installed it with another bead of silicone around the outside of the elbow collar:

Notice the opening below the headlight. Thats where i get all my "free power" and it works great.
This elbow helps block warm air, dust, debris, water, and noise but still provides a
VERY nice & noticeable performance gain and it's OEM!

The EI mod:
Old 09-10-2006, 12:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
that looks like a good setup... ive yet had a problem with my deckplate mod and the filter still looks brand new
Old 09-10-2006, 01:53 AM
Contributing Member

I keep excess dirt and larger crap from entering my airbox by using a piece of screen door material placed over the back of the deckplate.

Still you got a nice idea for the forgetful or people that might have somebody else driving their Runner and not knowing about the deckplate but unless the storm is so severe water isn't going to make it up to the airbox in almost any on-road driving condition.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

nice job
Old 09-10-2006, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

How does that prevent dust and such from coming in, I can see the water prevention, but the dust? My engine bay still gets dusty in that corner when out on a dusty road. The design looks great, also, it a little quiter than the deckplate?
Old 09-10-2006, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

With the stock elbow removed, you increase the risk of water entering into the intake. The deckplate was meant to allow more airflow, but can easily be capped during wet conditions. Simply removing the elbow will give you similar performance to doing the deckplate mod. A better option is to take a 90 degree ABS elbow with a extention pipe attached to the air box, this will allow better air flow without the increased risk from water crossings. I went one step further and routed the pipe into my cab, so with the deckplate in, I can easily make deep water crossings.....
Old 09-10-2006, 09:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
erik,

im just not getting it: the whole idea of removing/cutting the elbow is to allow freer breathing that the restrictive 90 degree bend makes. further, the whole idea of leaving the elbow on and doing the deckplate is to enable a larger/greater direct flow of air into the air intake while allowing you to cap it off for water crossings. from what i see with your mod, you are replumbing the restrictive elbow in a different location and creating a large, gaping hole that does not allow for closure. net effect: you may be getting better air flow with two holes now, but you still have the problem of having a large hole that cannot be capped (unless you create a plug)

bob
Old 09-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Contributing Member

Bob took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elton
that looks like a good setup...
Originally Posted by fireteacher
nice job
Thanks!

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
I keep excess dirt and larger crap from entering my airbox by using a piece of screen door material placed over the back of the deckplate.
yeah, i've seen pics and read of others doing that and it definitely should be done by anyone considering the deckplate but many do not.

Still you got a nice idea for the forgetful or people that might have somebody else driving their Runner and not knowing about the deckplate but unless the storm is so severe water isn't going to make it up to the airbox in almost any on-road driving condition.
I agree but this mod isn't about on-road water/rain storms.

Originally Posted by UNR.Grad
How does that prevent dust and such from coming in, I can see the water prevention, but the dust? My engine bay still gets dusty in that corner when out on a dusty road.
You have a radiator fan that turns. Some of the dust/dirt that enters will be thrown from that fan toward the air box and/or throughout the engine bay which can easily be sucked into a deckplate because it's unobstructed. The EI just helps block it and even more if a filter (like a nylon material) was added. Run your engine and pop the hood...put your hand down around the radiator shroud and you'll see what i mean. That explains part of the reason why others have capped their deckplate for good.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by UNR.Grad
The design looks great, also, it a little quiter than the deckplate?
Thanks, the best way i can describe it would be the same sound you can make with your mouth by quickly sucking in air. With your lips opened in a small/tight circle, breath in and thats what it sounds like. The next best description i good give is that it's a similar sound to a turbo. No growl, just air.

Originally Posted by BruceTS
With the stock elbow removed, you increase the risk of water entering into the intake....
I never removed my stock elbow. Initially, i was going to use what happened to you as one reason why i didn't want a deckplate but it would have made explaining things more complicated. Your current intake mod is nice for deep water crossings but theres simply not enough info given as to how well it increases power, if any, which was one of my main goals.

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
erik,

im just not getting it: the whole idea of removing/cutting the elbow is to allow freer breathing that the restrictive 90 degree bend makes. further, the whole idea of leaving the elbow on and doing the deckplate is to enable a larger/greater direct flow of air into the air intake while allowing you to cap it off for water crossings. from what i see with your mod, you are replumbing the restrictive elbow in a different location and creating a large, gaping hole that does not allow for closure. net effect: you may be getting better air flow with two holes now, but you still have the problem of having a large hole that cannot be capped (unless you create a plug)

bob
bob,

i see what your saying but it dosen't really apply to what i did or how it works. What i did was counteract the issues associated with the deckplate (dust, noise, water) and possibly add air velocity at the same time.

I think some might believe i took my stock elbow off and used it for this mod.. but i bought a second one and added it. The stock elbow itself is NOT restrictive. The entire OEM intake design is what makes it restrictive. The stock elbow sits behind the fender wall so it's not even visible which forces the stock intake system to suck air. It's simply a very poor design.

So the deckplate is good but it creates other problems, concerns, and complaints that i've read here and on ttora....like i said, they are all overlooked. I knew current deckplate users would question my mod considering they have one but i'll back it up 100%. The only thing better about a deckplate is that it can be capped for i guess deep ass water crossings...deeper than i'd ever care to do.

Yes, the deckplate creates a larger/greater direct flow but does it need to be THAT large/great? Absolutely not.
Why plug it when you don't have to? I can still cross water and not worry about it entering my airbox like i would with an uncapped deckplate. The EI mod sits higher than the stock elbow.

Not only did this elbow do what i wanted as a "tool" but it also made my 4runner come alive like it was on meth. Huge differnece.

The ONLY effect by adding an Elbow Intake is that it creats a solid 70%+ increase in airflow.

Last edited by rocket; 09-11-2006 at 03:30 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rocket
bob,

i see what your saying but it dosen't really apply to what i did or how it works. What i did was counteract the issues associated with the deckplate (dust, noise, water) and possibly add air velocity at the same time.

I think some might believe i took my stock elbow off and used it for this mod.. but i bought a second one and added it. The stock elbow itself is NOT restrictive. The entire OEM intake design is what makes it restrictive. The stock elbow sits behind the fender wall so it's not even visible which forces the stock intake system to suck air. It's simply a very poor design.

So the deckplate is good but it creates other problems, concerns, and complaints that i've read here and on ttora....like i said, they are all overlooked. I knew current deckplate users would question my mod considering they have one but i'll back it up 100%. The only thing better about a deckplate is that it can be capped for i guess deep ass water crossings...deeper than i'd ever care to do.

Yes, the deckplate creates a larger/greater direct flow but does it need to be THAT large/great? Absolutely not.
Why plug it when you don't have to? I can still cross water and not worry about it entering my airbox like i would with an uncapped deckplate. The EI mod sits higher than the stock elbow.

Not only did this elbow do what i wanted as a "tool" but it also made my 4runner come alive like it was on meth. Huge differnece.

The ONLY effect by adding an Elbow Intake is that it creats a solid 70%+ increase in airflow.
Rocket, I can appreciate all the work you did to modify the airbox and the workmanship was excellent, but some of your statements in here are not correct (I won't go through them, but A-D leave a bit to be desired) . I'm not going to reitterate the points Bob made, but I will say this......every now and then someone comes up with something that everyone else missed and beats the status quo, but I don't think that is true in this case.

How did you calculate 70% increased airflow (CF/min?), on a flowbench?

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 09-11-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

bob,
quick ? if you remove the elbow on the air box, wont there be a hole there like you stated in his where he moved it to the front?
Old 09-11-2006, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fireteacher
bob,
quick ? if you remove the elbow on the air box, wont there be a hole there like you stated in his where he moved it to the front?
He still has the stock elbow, he bought a used one and used that.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

i understand that, bob is refering to removing the stock one completely to do the "original" deckplate mod. thats what i am referring to, asking if it still leaves a hole or are you guys capping that piece off. i havent nor am i going to do the mod, just seeing if there is still a hole there in the SIDE of the box noone is covering up when doing water crossings
Old 09-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Banned

capping the side of the box off defeats the purpose of removing the elbow without doing the deckplate.. if you dont then you have absolutely no airflow at all if you cap it off.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:13 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

how about changing the headlight bulb ? looks a little tight now,
awesome job on the write up,
Old 09-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by neliconcept
capping the side of the box off defeats the purpose of removing the elbow without doing the deckplate.. if you dont then you have absolutely no airflow at all if you cap it off.
thats my point, i think!! so either way you still have a hole water can come at. whether it be where the elbow was removed or where he made his new one.
just one may be slightly lower than the other?

Last edited by fireteacher; 09-11-2006 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

I guess if you got the time but even when playing in water I've yet to put my deckplate in place and no problems. If you got water up to the airbox you probably have other worries too.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Banned

if water is up to the airbox but you have a snorkel.. you still have to extend the breathers.. replace door seals because gg your 4runner is gonna get waterlogged.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess if you got the time but even when playing in water I've yet to put my deckplate in place and no problems. If you got water up to the airbox you probably have other worries too.
I have never had to put my deckplate in since I installed it 3 years ago.
This includes the full brunt of canadian winters, dust, water, salt, sand and still no issues.

Quick Reply: Elbow Intake mod (alternative to the deckplate)