Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Ducky's Update...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 10:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good point dood!

Well, lemme put it this way... the last time we headed up there, it was that ugly cold wind (50mph+) with rain that became snow around 3800'.

The run was originally going to be in two parts - First, up to the top of one trail to see this cool lake we had found before, and then back down and wander a couple of mines. By the time we got back down from the first part, we were just too cold and wet to think about climbing around to find a mine entrance. Pizza and beer suddenly became the new order of the day!

I think though that hindsight will become relevant here in being able to have a much better time - no matter what the weather.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We'll just dress for winter wheeling
Old 11-24-2003, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by WATRD
We'll just dress for winter wheeling
Aye mon!
Old 11-24-2003, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Ducky's Update...

Originally posted by Ducky
Well I finnaly splurged (well in my terms since I dont have alot of money) and went to central and got a Viair 450C and a 2.5gallon air tank...

BTW... how does everyone route their hoses and such...
anyone can use mspaint or something to draw me up a pic of the setup...

like air compressor goes to manifold... manifold goes to tank.. tank goes to outlet... psi switch goes on manifold... bleeder and safety valve goes on manifold? everything other hole is plugged?
Where are you mounting your 2.5 gallon tank?

I have a 1-gallon tank mounted inside my ARB bumper. I put the bleeder and release valve on the tank. The rest of the unused ports in the tank are plugged. There's a $15 manifold from Northern that works really slick with the V450c. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3795&langId=-1
Old 11-24-2003, 06:33 AM

Well.. I decided to mount the air tank on the bottom where my spare used to be (or will...used to be)... since I wont get my compressor till maybe this weekend... some reason Central and getting not in stock items takes a bit, even from Cali....

... How about a wrench a thon... lol...

Transalper... How do you like that manifold... I was going to spend $50 for one that central suggested... but $15 sounds good to me...

Mark... Uhm I got a pack of various plugs and fitting, but I think I may return it and get what I need seprately... but really I am in the dark about what all I need... the pressure switch is a set ARB one so i think its 85lbs on 110off? I think? I figgure Im just going I dont need the full 150lbs even when I get a locker...
Old 11-24-2003, 06:36 AM
Contributing Member

I don't know Rob, now that you're "sassy" you might be too bored wheeling with the underlings... The midweek runs when it was light till 10:00 PM seem to be a figment of my imagination at this point. The Tinkham Hill climb with snow on it would be really scary..

On the topics of alternators though- unless he was using lights and winch and radio all at the same time would he be putting alot of strain the alternator (I think?). I'm not saying its a bad idea, just that its not something that has to be done immediately.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:44 AM

Oh yea.. and mark... the tank has like 5 inlet/outlets....

and if I use the mounting brackets... I think there are 2 that would be upsidown...

so a wrenchathon would be good, or at least someone that can make sure I buy all the things I need for this setup... lol..
Old 11-24-2003, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Transalper... How do you like that manifold... I was going to spend $50 for one that central suggested... but $15 sounds good to me...
The manifold works great.

I bought all my fittings separately and run my IFS ARB with the Viar 450c. Here's my install write-up, which shows pics of the compressor, fittings, and tank. http://www.geocities.com/transalper/lockers.htm

If you buy the compressor fittings separately and want to run an ARB, you will need:
- 85/105 Pressure Switch - I use the Viar Heavy-duty switch
- 1/8 BPT to 1/4 NPT fitting to mount the solenoid to the manifold - The viair fitting kit has one of these
- manifold to mount all the fittings
- all the electrical stuff (switch, relay, wiring, etc)
- optional pressure gauge.

Basically you have to buy all the stuff that comes with the ARB compressor.

I got all my Viair accessories from tellico4x4.com. They seem to have good prices and have stuff in stock.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
On the topics of alternators though- unless he was using lights and winch and radio all at the same time would he be putting alot of strain the alternator (I think?). I'm not saying its a bad idea, just that its not something that has to be done immediately.
{shhhh... I wanna see what a blue powdercoated alternator looks like!}
Old 11-24-2003, 10:11 PM

Well.. I decided to mount the air tank on the bottom where my spare used to be (or will...used to be)... since I wont get my compressor till maybe this weekend... some reason Central and getting not in stock items takes a bit, even from Cali....
Did Central feed you a line about how you HAVE to buy a Viair approved pressure switch in order to validate the warranty? I got that babble when I bought mine from Viair themselves (off an eBay auction) and was wondering if that's common.

Mark... Uhm I got a pack of various plugs and fitting, but I think I may return it and get what I need seprately... but really I am in the dark about what all I need... the pressure switch is a set ARB one so i think its 85lbs on 110off? I think? I figgure Im just going I dont need the full 150lbs even when I get a locker...
Yeah... the misc pack of fittings and stuff can be a lot to work through. Know that Lowe's has 1/4" NPT fittings of various flavors and types in stock. They keep them in the tool-bin area next to the welding equipment.

The only thing that I haven't found there are manifolds and blank plugs to fill any extra holes - but you've got the manifold covered.

Lowe's also sells a nice kit of 20' flex-coil hose along with misc ends like an inflator, blow gun, etc. And, they sell the 3/8" bright orange hose which is nice for hooking things up and running a line out to the bumper and back to the tank. Watch out for hot spots, don't run the hose next to a manifold! If you HAVE to run something near heat, then you should use braided steel hose.

One thing that you'll want is a "closed ball locking tire inflator". The only place I found them on the shelf was Napa autoparts. This is a tire inflator that blocks the air until it's clamped on the tire. The alternative is an "open ball" type which will let air flow when it's not locked on. That'll work, but then you're walking around with a hissing air hose all the time. Napa's part number is 90-524.

To get stuff figured out as to what goes where, lay it all out on the floor and it'll make more sense. Be sure to get enough blank plugs to fill all holes!

Oh! One more thing... Use teflon tape on ALL threaded joints. It's a must. Do NOT use any kind of silicone or putty. Just a few wraps of teflon around the threads before screwing things together will make your life a LOT easier.

Have fun!

(Hey, can I ask a favor? can you please measure your air tank for me, length and diameter? And what'd you pay for it? I need a larger tank...)
Old 11-25-2003, 06:25 AM

Mark... Chances are you will see it... lol... Im not sure when I can install all this... I think ill take care of my 2mill candlight of extra light... but the onboard air even if I get this weekend, who knows when Ill get it installed... If theres a wrenchathon I might just wait till then.