Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Drum Brakes... Leaking Axle??

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Drum Brakes... Leaking Axle??

Hi Everyone,
I have a 2000 4runner, sport package, five speed etc...
I'm a little new to this forum, but I unfortunatly am experiencing a brake problem with my rear brakes. I think it's only on one side, and is related to some of the earlier threads regarding a leaking seal which causing my rear brakes to lock up.
The problem largely occurs when I've left it sitting for an while, and I go to move it. The brakes rear brake/brakes lock up and I have to give it a decent amount of gas to override the brakes. If I come to a complete stop within a couple of minutes the problem might exhibit itself again. Besides that I won't experience the problem again until I leave the car sitting for a while.
I pulled the rear tire off to see if my suspicions were confirmed, and I can see that fluid has been leaking across the outside of the drum.
I have two questions. I usually do all my own work on the car, and was wondering if anyone else has replaced the rear seals before. Is it a major PITA, or should I cough up the money to have the dealer do it.
Second question is, if I'm going to do it myself, I won't have much time until I finish my law school final on the 21st. Will I be okay waiting until this date to do the rear brakes and replac the damn seals. Is the amount of fluid I'm losing out of the rear end enough for me to have to worry about ruining anything.
Thanks,
Adam
Old 12-04-2002, 04:44 PM
Banned

Wouldn't this be covered under warrantee?
That's about all the advice I can give, sorry. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2002, 04:55 PM

I've put 86,000 miles on it since I've bought it. Since I made the post, I found an article on this in the tech section, and there was another article related to a toyota technician that was saying that the problems he's seen have been were caused by the improper installation of the seal. Could anyone also describe the proper way to install the seal. Thanks.

Also, will I be OK waiting another 2 1/2 weeks to do this, if I don't mind putting up with the catching when I start it.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 12-04-2002, 05:42 PM

Hey getchellad,
You may be risking your diffs. That is gear oil leaking. You may run real low in 2 1/2 weeks. Plus you might want to consider the safety factor.
Also if your rear breaks are no longer taking up some of the breaking power that it should, you will be creating more wear on your front rotors and pads. Hense prematurely wearing them out as well.
Your already looking at a new seal and brake shoes and maybe turning the worn break drum.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Leaking rear axle seals is a VERY common problem on the 96-02 4Runners. Personally I think it should be a recall. On my 96 I had the seals changed twice before I found out I had a bent rear axle shaft. Do a search here for "axle seal" and you will see many posts about this problem.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:27 PM
Jay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To do this repair properly, you will be required to replace the axle bearing. This will require a hydraulic press. You have to be very careful when installing the retainer, there is a very specific specification you have to measure (I would hate to try and state it from memory). If you have ABS, it even gets harder to do.

This is just one of those repairs even some experienced technicians dislike due to the high likelyhood of a comeback.

I would take it to the dealer, pay the money. But I would be insisting that they took their time to do the job properly, and scheduled it accordingly. Sometimes showing your patience and understanding yeilds better repairs.

Jay
Old 12-04-2002, 10:57 PM
Banned

I'm not sure what fluid you are leaking, is it brake fluid or gear oil? It should be easy to tell by smelling it.
Old 12-05-2002, 04:59 AM

It defininity smells like gear oil. I was looking at....

https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...m1_oilseal.htm

which gives directions on replacing the rear seals. I'm guessing I'm going to need to do it this weekend, because from the sound of it thismorning, it seems that my right rear brake pads, are starting to make a clunking sound when I drive over bumps... ugg..
Neways, what type of Hydrolic Press were you referreing to jay. Do you have any specs, or tell me what kind to buy, because I think I might want to try and do this repair myself, and I wouldn't mind adding to my tool collection.
Thanks,
Adam