Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Driving in 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving in 4WD

I would just like to clear this up so I can be sure I'm thinking straight.

Are you not supposed to drive in 4wd? I know not 4L, but regular 4WD. I think I should be able to. I think I'd need it in the mountains. Now, my truck is different than most but that still shouldn't be the determining factor.

-Should you not go above certain speeds?
-Does 4WD put extra stress (if any at all) on the engine or just drive train?
-I've driven in 4WD before and I've heard vibrations from my front driveshaft. Is this because the angle is to steep? Do I need a different setup?

I think I had another question, if I remember it I'll post it.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driving in 4wd is OK. My owners manual says you can use it at just about any speed (up to 55 I think) youre runner should be fine, Think about the "all wheel drive" jeeps they have out now. I am assuming that you are talking about driving in the snow.

It does put more strain on the motor and the transmission.
Youre pinion angle may be bad if you are having vibrations and such. Check out
4crawlers website for possible ways of correcting it.
Hope this helps a little
Old 07-16-2005, 05:33 PM

Don't ever drive in 4Low. You risk launching your driveshafts through the floorboards. As for 4High, you know to only use that when driving over-top of lowered imports during rush-hour.
ps- you ever wheel with anyone from h-core4x4 out of Boone NC?

why do I feel like your fishing in this thread?

Last edited by rngrchad; 07-16-2005 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:34 PM

you should not drive in 4wd on dry pavement or on any other surface where your tires grip well.

doing so causes bind in your driveline. theis happens because your differentials are locked together and, therefore, want to turn at exaclty the same speed. when you go around a turn, however, your front tires take a different track (and go a different distance) than your rear tires...thus, they want the differentials to turn at different speeds.

on a loose surface (dirt, snow covered road, etc.), one wheel will slip so that one differential can "catch-up" to the other one...however, on pavement, the wheel can't slip, so the bind will build up and, over the long-term, cause something (often the t-case) to fail prematurely.

(this also happens even when driving in a straight line, though to a lesser extent, becuase your tires are not exactly the same size as they wear.)

the vibrations in your drive shaft were probably from it getting bound up if it happened on dry pavement.

i don't think 4wd would put any more stress on the engine.

the owners manual for my 94 doesn't say anything about a limit to speed in 4wd...it does say you should slow down to below 50MPH to shift from 4hi to 2hi...
Old 07-16-2005, 05:36 PM

Yeah, I just keep getting told different things. I mean I got a lot of extra weight on this thing and I like to escape to Boone here in the fall so I would like to be sure before I drive it in 4WD.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2005, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by 4RocRunner92
Yeah, I just keep getting told different things

there is a lot of confusion about the issue because people do not differentiate between 4wd (actually, part-time 4wd) and all-wheel-drive (or full-time 4wd).

AWD has a cneter differential, so it is fine to drive on pavement.

part-time 4wd (what you have) does not...therefore you get binding in 4wd on pavement.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by rngrchad

Don't ever drive in 4Low. You risk launching your driveshafts through the floorboards. As for 4High, you know to only use that when driving over-top of lowered imports during rush-hour.
ps- you ever wheel with anyone from h-core4x4 out of Boone NC?

why do I feel like your fishing in this thread?
What do you mean by fishing?

Oh, nah I've never been wheeling with them.

Last edited by 4RocRunner92; 07-16-2005 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

So I am going to play in mud tonight. Do I just click the 4WD button on the HI/LO shifter, or do I push the center diff lock to the left of the steering wheel.

I have always just pushed the 4WD button on the HI/LO shifter and have been fine. The lights for the wheels light up, but not the center diff. lock.

EDIT: I am getting confused again the more I read in this and the other thread that is hot right now about the 4WD vs AWD thread.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 07-16-2005 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota
you should not drive in 4wd on dry pavement or on any other surface where your tires grip well.

doing so causes bind in your driveline. theis happens because your differentials are locked together and, therefore, want to turn at exaclty the same speed. when you go around a turn, however, your front tires take a different track (and go a different distance) than your rear tires...thus, they want the differentials to turn at different speeds.

on a loose surface (dirt, snow covered road, etc.), one wheel will slip so that one differential can "catch-up" to the other one...however, on pavement, the wheel can't slip, so the bind will build up and, over the long-term, cause something (often the t-case) to fail prematurely.

(this also happens even when driving in a straight line, though to a lesser extent, becuase your tires are not exactly the same size as they wear.)

the vibrations in your drive shaft were probably from it getting bound up if it happened on dry pavement.

i don't think 4wd would put any more stress on the engine.

the owners manual for my 94 doesn't say anything about a limit to speed in 4wd...it does say you should slow down to below 50MPH to shift from 4hi to 2hi...

So I should not use this in the mountains? I should just push my ECT Power button? I figured I should be able to use it in the mountains but I could be wrong. So, I ask questons.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:53 PM

if the roads are dry, no, you shuodl not use 4x4 in the mountains. you don't get any more power from 4x4, just more traction (which you don't need on dry pavmenet).
Old 07-16-2005, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

I'm off to play in mud. I'll be back later to check on this.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
So I am going to play in mud tonight. Do I just click the 4WD button on the HI/LO shifter, or do I push the center diff lock to the left of the steering wheel.

I have always just pushed the 4WD button on the HI/LO shifter and have been fine. The lights for the wheels light up, but not the center diff. lock.

EDIT: I am getting confused again the more I read in this and the other thread that is hot right now about the 4WD vs AWD thread.
aha! so you do have both AWD and 4wd.

AWD is when you do not have thecenter diff locked. 4wd is when you push the button to lock the center diff.

you should use 4wd (push the center diff lock button) in the mud.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:08 PM

The road being dry means absolutly nothing in useing 4 wheel drive If it did then yoiu would never see people useing it in rock climbing or on very rough roads.
If you have steep , rough, muddy or any other slow going conditions you can use 4 wheel all you want. Just don't go over 50 mph in 4 high or make sharp turns on dry hard pavement or roads.
Use 4 low when rock crawling or in places where you can't or don't want to go faster than 10 mph due to road condtions and where you need the traction but not the speed. In other words, just use your head. Mike
Old 07-16-2005, 06:13 PM

Ah, so I should just hit the ECT Power button for the trip to Boone?

Thanks for your help so far!!!!
Old 07-16-2005, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Beartracker
...Just don't go over 50 mph in 4 high...
Why not? I have gone over 50 mph in 4hi many times.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota
aha! so you do have both AWD and 4wd.

AWD is when you do not have thecenter diff locked. 4wd is when you push the button to lock the center diff.

you should use 4wd (push the center diff lock button) in the mud.

Thats all I used tonight. I had to throw it in 4LO to get up a nice rocky hill.

Now I just have to wash it a few times.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:28 PM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
Just a hint I read someplace: Try spraying the underside down real good with PAM, or any "non-stick" cooking spray before you go mudding. Makes the stuff just slide off, and washing much easier...
Old 07-16-2005, 08:36 PM

I got this sheet with some clever uses for household items. I'll type it up after I get some food.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Why not? I have gone over 50 mph in 4hi many times.
Glenn, I have too but that doesn't mean that it's a good idea. Most manuals suggest that you don't go over 50-55. It could be different with yours but you may want to check it. Mike
Old 07-17-2005, 08:24 AM

I commonly drive 65+mph in 4hi while on roadtrips going to and from ski-resorts in inclimate weather. Never had a problem, and I've got 140,000 miles on the taco.
My friend does the same thing in his cherokee, no problems. I imagine as long as your cv's are in good shape, and the driveshafts are balanced correctly there will be little to no adverse affects other than gas mileage and engine power.
(just my experiences)

Quick Reply: Driving in 4WD