Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Driving in 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DON'T- use 4wd if you don't need it! (why??????????????)
- use 4wd on DRY PAVEMENT (why???????????????)
- drive 80 mph in 4wd hi (what kind of demands for traction are there at these speeds)

DO - FOLLOW THE OWNERS MANUAL (the manufactuer knows B E S T ! !)
- realize 2wd can go lots of places 4wd can, depends on driver!
- use 4wd when u NEED it or as mentioned to keep parts lubed
- this on dirt or gravel roads i see no prob with wear b\c ample slip allowed on anything but pavement
- whatever you want to your own truck and fix it accordingly (drag race in 4wd O M G) buy a car man!!
Old 09-13-2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by NoMorChev-V
- whatever you want to your own truck and fix it accordingly (drag race in 4wd O M G) buy a car man!!
I have a garage full of toys thank you. I happen to have the quickest TRD supercharged 3.4 4X4 automatic running straight gasoline and no nitrous that I know of and I like playing with it. Running a little over 300 RWHP creates traction issues even with my drag radials. Launching in 4HI solves the problem and doesn't hurt a damn thing.
I won't tell you how to play with your truck and you kindly do the same. OK?

Dave
Old 09-13-2005, 05:51 PM

well if you didn't read what you replied to i said DO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO YOUR OWN TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lots of people said they go plenty over the 50mph reccomended top speed in 4wd or drive in 4wd on dry pavement the thread is seeming to asks whats best for my precious truck? (try going to the dealer and saying i was launching my tacoma at redline in 4wd and something broke will the warranty cover it?!)

so thank you for restating what i already said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just think if you want to drag race, a pickup truck is probably not the best designed application

but as i said DO WHAT YOU WANT, but i guess your just going to do what you want anyways???????????????????????

all im saying is the thread seems to be asking what is best for the mechanical longevity of the 4wd system, im no expert but drag racing in 4wd probably doesnt wield the most preserving care of the drivetrain!! ??

i think its awesome that u race your truck like that just seems KINDA extreme and i merely suggested a car for drag racing, all in fun NO OFFENSE INTENDED all im saying is DO WHAT YOU WANT TO YOUR OWN TRUCK and FIX IT ACCORDINGLY, if you want to drag race in a tacoma its YOUR tacoma go line it up with a viper man have fun! but its probably going to come apart a LITTLE sooner than my grandparents owning and driving a tacoma doncha agree??
Old 09-13-2005, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by NoMorChev-V
i just think if you want to drag race, a pickup truck is probably not the best designed application

all im saying is the thread seems to be asking what is best for the mechanical longevity of the 4wd system, im no expert but drag racing in 4wd probably doesnt wield the most preserving care of the drivetrain!! ??
Surprising people with a little Toyota V6 4X4 that is supposed to be slow is half the fun. Wouldn't you be jazzed if you could blow the doors off a Dodge Hemi then look at the expression on the guys face when he got back to the pits? How about throwing in a bunch of ricers with the wings and crap and kicking their butts? Don't know about you but that is fun to me!!!

If I were really worried about mechanical longevity I would not have set this engine up to produce 380 hp at the crank. You only go around once---might as well have fun while you can.

Last edited by TRDOLMAN; 09-13-2005 at 07:38 PM.