Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Did the 97 4r limited come with keyless entry?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did the 97 4r limited come with keyless entry?

If not, what year did they start coming with keyless entry?
Old 07-10-2006, 08:15 PM

It should have, especially ltd's. I had 2 1997 sr5's that came w/keyless entry.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:27 PM

okay, thanks
Old 07-11-2006, 07:01 AM

I have a '97 Limited, and it does have keyless entry. On those specific models I have been told that the "beep-beep" a.k.a. the pezio is facing toward the sky and collects water and causes it to go out, however the doors will still lock and unlock and the lights will flash once for lock and twice for unlock when you use the remote.. If you don't have a remote I think they are around $50 from the stealership.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SouthernComfort
I have a '97 Limited, and it does have keyless entry. On those specific models I have been told that the "beep-beep" a.k.a. the pezio is facing toward the sky and collects water and causes it to go out, however the doors will still lock and unlock and the lights will flash once for lock and twice for unlock when you use the remote.. If you don't have a remote I think they are around $50 from the stealership.
Do you know exactly where the pezio is mounted? mine locks and unlocks, but has never beep beeped

I'd like to replace it

~Ryder
Old 07-11-2006, 12:12 PM

I have a 98' Limited that did NOT come with keyless entry. I learned this the hard way when I removed an aftermarket alarm/keyless. I went to the dealer to get a transponder and he ran my VIN. A portion of pre 99' 4runner Limited came w/out keyless. They wanted $700 to install the brain! I said screw you (not literally) and purchased a keyless/remote start configuration (with install) for under $200.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:12 PM

the 97's had a piezo? Either I dont have one or its broke. The former owner told me that his horn used to chirp when he locked the truck but he had that disabled. Anyways more info would be great, I almost want to steal a piezo off a lexus now.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I read in my owners manual, that the Piezo should chirp when locking and unlocking. I found the correct way to disable/enable the piezo. Mine is currently enabled, and it still doesn't work... SOO if someone has a picture of where it is on the 96 and 97 that would be great.!
Old 07-11-2006, 01:18 PM

Yeah I would also like to know since mine seems to be going out or loose or something because sometimes it chirps and sometimes it doesn't.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:56 PM

If the 98's piezo location is the same as 96-97, then it's on the top right side of the engine bay, if you're facing the vehicle. (Or in other words, by the Driver's side firewall). Mine's zip tied on with a piece of foam around it. It's about the size of half a roll of quarters. Not that big. Hope that helps.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Got a 96 with peizo and keyless... Yes, my "beep" works about 60% of the time.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:02 PM

If the 98's piezo location is the same as 96-97, then it's on the top right side of the engine bay, if you're facing the vehicle.
I think that is right, but I am not sure. I will look under the hood in daylight tomorrow. I never really looked because I do not like the beeping noise anyway.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
guys,

p nut is right...at least that was the location on my 98 too. as far as getting a replacement, check out my thread here for the part number:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ighlight=piezo

bob
Old 07-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Contributing Member

yurp, mine was DS. not quite right near the firewall, though. it was along the side of the engine bay below the top edge where the fender meets the engine bay. red lil circular thing, covered in grey foam. mine didnt work either (well i never had a remote since recently) so i bought a lil piezo chirper from radio shack. hooked it up and now my runner chirps lil a wee il bird when i hit the remote.

oddly though, if a door is open and i hit the arm button, it'll start alarming... until i close the door and hit the remote button again.

edit: if you see a lil red light with 'security' above it (mine was near my RR diff lock button), then it came with keyless entry
Old 07-11-2006, 09:29 PM

Anyone have a write-up or link on how to enable/disable this feature? I remember when I got my truck the security light would blink when I armed it. Now nothing.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:42 AM

A wee-bit off topic: Does anyone else think that the range on these keyless entry systems is one of the worst on the market? I have to be literally within 5 ft of the car to make it work.(and yes, I changed out the battery last week) My S2000's keyless works from my office to where my car is parked, which is about 1000 ft away, and it's in an underground parking lot.

I'm thinking of just going with an AM alarm system. I had one on my last car, and it had an antenna that was taped to the windshield, right above the rear view mirror. That thing had some range.

Also, yesterday, I stopped at a grocery store to pick up a few things, and came out to unlock the car. As soon as I hit the unlock button, the alarm started going off. I couldn't shut it off. I pressed the unlock button, put the key in the door (locked and unlocked), started the car (which it did, by the way. Thought it had a starter disabling system?), and finally, I had to just pull the fuse to the horn. It was quite embarrassing. I got home and tried my other keyfob, and now it's working with no problems. What a POS.

Anyway, that's the end of my mini-rant.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by p nut
A wee-bit off topic: Does anyone else think that the range on these keyless entry systems is one of the worst on the market? I have to be literally within 5 ft of the car to make it work.(and yes, I changed out the battery last week) My S2000's keyless works from my office to where my car is parked, which is about 1000 ft away, and it's in an underground parking lot.

AMEN TO THAT. Friggen worst range of any car i've ever seen. My buddy's 91 pathfinder has a range of like 100 yards... THROUGH MY HOUSE. Brand new battery in both of my remotes, and same results... Ugh, too bad It's hard to justify a new remote keyless when you already have one.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by ilikesoup
AMEN TO THAT. Friggen worst range of any car i've ever seen. My buddy's 91 pathfinder has a range of like 100 yards... THROUGH MY HOUSE. Brand new battery in both of my remotes, and same results... Ugh, too bad It's hard to justify a new remote keyless when you already have one.
If i walk about 5 steps away from the truck, i usually have to press the lock button about 3 times before it locks. I rarely use it, unless i want to unlock a back door or hatch without unlocking the drivers door.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
guys,

hehe...i understanzzzz

the rs3000 is the crappiest alarm system out there. period. and i think it has a lot to do w/ three things. one, the way the dealers install it by usuing taps and splices. two, because the remote receiving wire is about 5 inches long and installed inside the driver's side area (inside the panel). third, the brain unit is usually installed under the driver's side seat which leaves it exposed to all kinds of stuff. i know for a fact that i am not the only member whose had the brain unit ruined by a spilled beverage.

if you really hate it, replace it. its not worth the frustration. when a few of us got the commando 870, we were all virtually high fiving each other b/c the alarm system addressed many of the deficiencies of the rs3000--and then some!

bob
Old 07-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
two, because the remote receiving wire is about 5 inches long and installed inside the driver's side area (inside the panel).
bob

Can you extend this wire and improve reception?

Quick Reply: Did the 97 4r limited come with keyless entry?