Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Daystar spacer question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daystar spacer question

I've got a question about the Daystar 1.5" spacers...

I searched through the forums and found where a few people said they were great and worked well, but I have a different question that I couldnt find the answer to.

I was curious if you have to change the shocks when only lifting it 1.5"...the reason I ask is because the guy who had it before me (just purchased it first week of April) had put new stock height shocks on 15k ago and I dont want to waste good shocks if they will still be fine.

Also, how tough is it to install these spacers, removing the coils and all? Any good write ups out there?

Last question...anyone with the spacers and running 265/70/R16 or even the 75s notice a big change in MPG after installing the spacers? What about CV boot wearing?

Thanks guys, sorry so many questions, but I've been told a time or two its the only way you learn
Old 04-25-2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by JMRAY23
I've got a question about the Daystar 1.5" spacers...

I searched through the forums and found where a few people said they were great and worked well, but I have a different question that I couldnt find the answer to.

I was curious if you have to change the shocks when only lifting it 1.5"...the reason I ask is because the guy who had it before me (just purchased it first week of April) had put new stock height shocks on 15k ago and I dont want to waste good shocks if they will still be fine.

Also, how tough is it to install these spacers, removing the coils and all? Any good write ups out there?

Last question...anyone with the spacers and running 265/70/R16 or even the 75s notice a big change in MPG after installing the spacers? What about CV boot wearing?

Thanks guys, sorry so many questions, but I've been told a time or two its the only way you learn
I have a Daystar 2.5" lift with stock length shocks. Spacer install in rear is easy and front will require a spring compressor. No real difference in MPG and I doubt your CVs will be affected with a 1.5" lift.

Last edited by pfdaxe; 04-25-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:41 AM

I ran the Daystar 2.5" kit for about a year with stock shocks. I think you'll find that the general consensus on here is that spacers are a temporary lift option. In less than a year that mine were installed, they sagged the stock coil springs to the point that they were only giving me about 1.5" of lift at the end. So, I pulled them out in favor of LC coils in the rear and OME 882 coils up front.

Check out OME coils and the Sonoran Steel complete lift kits if you want a better, more permanent lift solution. Both offer 1.5-2" kits that will last much longer than spacers and the stock coils. I'd rather spend a little more up front and do it right the first time than have to do it all over again a year or less later. Take it from my personal experience, there are much better ways to lift your rig than spacers and the $250 I spent for the Daystar kit was pretty much a waste. Just my $.02.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by emptypockets
I ran the Daystar 2.5" kit for about a year with stock shocks. I think you'll find that the general consensus on here is that spacers are a temporary lift option. In less than a year that mine were installed, they sagged the stock coil springs to the point that they were only giving me about 1.5" of lift at the end. So, I pulled them out in favor of LC coils in the rear and OME 882 coils up front.

Check out OME coils and the Sonoran Steel complete lift kits if you want a better, more permanent lift solution. Both offer 1.5-2" kits that will last much longer than spacers and the stock coils. I'd rather spend a little more up front and do it right the first time than have to do it all over again a year or less later. Take it from my personal experience, there are much better ways to lift your rig than spacers and the $250 I spent for the Daystar kit was pretty much a waste. Just my $.02.
Thanks for the advice. That was my hesitation and when you speak from experience, I'll take your word for it. I like the OME lifts and really want to do it, but that pricetag was pushing me away...guess it's time to start saving!
Old 04-25-2010, 01:29 PM

well for the front, i thought since he only wants the 1.5" spacer then it shouldn't preload the spring since its a top mount. If he went 2.5" then he has to preload the spring which could sag it right. In the rear either the 1.5 or the 2.5 will sag it but the front shouldn't. I myself am actually staying all street and Im going with the 1.5" spacer front lift and adding 99 tall coils for the rear. Since i have a 97 2wd, the rear '99 coils should get me 1.5-2" of lift. my front is 1/2" higher then my rear so adding the spacer to the front i should sit pretty even. and my runner should ride nice for the street. haven't installed this yet, have all the parts, but probably won't have time to do until later next month. hope that helps. later
Old 04-27-2010, 09:29 AM

I just installed the 1 1/2" Daystar spacers on the rear of my 99 2WD 4Runner to level it out. I had added a set of 04 Tacoma TRD front coil/shock assembly to mine after a friend replaced his w/ high $ coilovers. This left my front end an inch or so higher than the rear so the 1 1/2" spacers gave me back my factory stance. I am pleased. Also replaced the original shocks(120k miles) with new Skyjacker hydraulic shocks and it all went back together nicely.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:42 PM

pics please
Old 04-27-2010, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One big problem with spacers in front is... If the spacer goes in between the coil and the top plate then you will be limiting compression and if the spacer mounts on top of the plate then you can overextend the CVs when full drooped which can cause failure.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:58 PM

in February I installed 2 1/2" daystar spacers on the front and the 1 1/2" daystar on the rear and replaced the stock shocks with a set of skyjacker hydro 7000's just for the fact the stock ones were getting worn.Im running a set of 31/10.5.15'2 and they set excellent in the rear. I have a set of OME 906 coild on order now due the the sage from the stock coils.

with 2 1/2"spacers in front and 1 1/2" spacers in rear