95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Couple '92 4Runner 4X4 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple '92 4Runner 4X4 Questions

Hey guys...first post, so be gentle.

I've got a '92 4Runner, 4X4 with about 118k miles. Runs great. I call it the War Wagon...just put on new calipers, rotors, front shocks and other misc ˟˟˟˟. Had some tranny work done a early this summer when a couple of sensors went out and it felt like it was slipping, but it wasn't mechanical...just electronic. That's all good too. That's the background...and oh, 300-something watts inside is nice too.

Overall, I freaking love it. I've had it for 4+ years...always been great.

Here are my questions...

I have a check engine light. Brought to the bozo's at the shop near here and said it was the O2 sensor after the cat. No big surprise. Any suggestions on where to get a good replacement?

I have new rear shocks that I haven't put in yet. I haven't even really looked at how hard it is to get access. Is this a tough replacement? (I mean relatively speaking) or would it be easier to just have the bozo's do it...how long should it take me if I do it myself (I'm generally a do-it yourselfer - did the brakes with a friend with no problems).

The War Wagon's has a saggy booty. Think the springs are shot? How much will the gas charged shocks help? Seems it may help a little, but what do you guys do for a booty lift? Even a moderate one would do the trick...I'll see if I can post some pics tomorrow to show you what I'm talking about.

Also, when I first get on the road...it doesn't want to switch into OD until it's, apparently, completely warmed up. Any ideas? The tranny work didn't seem to effect this. It may have stopped for a while, but it's back now pretty much every time I get in after it's been sitting for a day or two. Any ideas?

And one more thing. I would like to have some kind of wheel well trim. Nothing as much as the cladding on the 3rd gen, but if it could be had a nice price (and it would fit), I'd probably do it. What are the options for this? I'm also missing the rearmost piece of the OEM running board cover. It's the part just fore of the rear wheel on the pass. side. Tried junkyards...no dice...any ideas? Got a spare anyone?

Love the forum...hope to get (and hopefully give) lots of good advice. I've been a car nut my whole of 38 years...so I have some experience I hope I can share that will be helpful. The truck is great...had an S2000 as my second car, this is it for now and it's the most versatile car a guy can have. Fun in the mud, on the road, snow...wherever. Love it...

Sorry to have so many questions...! But I would really appreciate any replies...thanks guys and (hopefully) gals!

Last edited by GregStevens; 10-08-2004 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:08 AM

Welcome aboard greg.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't mean to be rude but you might want to do some search to get your questions answer.....anyhow..

The best O2 sensor to get is the one from Toyota.
It's normal for the trans not to go into OD till it warms up.....infact, when it's too hot, it won't go in OD either.
Rear sag...do the search.....New shocks won't do anything to the height...it's the springs.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
exactly what Anthony said.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:46 PM
Contributing Member

Fair enough...I have done some searches and found a few things that I was asking. I had no idea that the OD thing was 'normal' ... doesn't seem right, but I'll take your word for it.

Gonna pick up an OEM O2 sensor next week. That's an easy one.

Shocks, I just looked at. I'll probably have them done since there is some rust and pneumatic tools may be necessary (which I don't have).

Still would like to know about wheel well trim and the running board piece. Any ideas on where I might find that? I've done searches here and google, but haven't really found anything with OEM running board covers.

Thanks for the welcome...
Old 10-09-2004, 11:06 PM

Welcome.
Well as far as the O2 sensor, there is only 1 and it is before the Cat. The NGK or Denso ones from the dealer are the best. Bosch O2 sensors seems to be a hit or miss type of thing.

As for the springs, some use the ones Performance Products sell, others use Old Man U, and most use the ones from Downey. You'll have to check to see which best suits you're needs, Kind of a personal matter as to how you'll be using the runner.

Cladding, well again Performance Products have some options, May want to check pricing.

The running boards? Humm. May won't to go with sliders. If you go off road, you'll find the sliders work a whole lot better then running boards. If you don't go off road, you'll find that the running boards tend to be a pain getting in and out of the runner, if nothing more then the hassle of dirty clothes.

Good luck and by the way this site is very good however, my wallet has gotten a lot lighter since I started visiting.

Again. Welcome.