Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 10:31 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Which Company makes better camper shell?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had an Astro cab high on my old pick-up. It was priced right with the same warranty as the more expensive ones. I never had any problems with it; no complaints.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:40 AM

I had a SnugTop on my 01 Tacoma.

It leaked like a sieve and the headliner came unglued and never looked right. I was disappointed Toyota now endorses them.

I ordered a Raven for the 03. A lot of people up here run them, I've never heard of a problem. Should be here in another couple weeks.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

Wow - the reviews are all over the place here. I am getting the impression that the cap mfgs. don't exactly have the greatest consistency. Which is too bad - buying something like this shouldn't be as bad as rolling a pair of dice

We have reports here that Leer is good, Leer is bad, Snugtop is great, Snugtop sux... so far no complaints here on the ARE (but I did read on a forum somewhere else about an ARE with a flip window that leaked).

We also have some voted here for the "budget brands" which is what I was "talked into" buying 6 years ago and have regretted ever since. Mike mentioned Vision - which is sold by a SnugTop dealer that I was interested in. The guy seemed pretty enthused about them and said he has them in stock.. but my guess is that he probably makes more $ from them and sells more volume because they cost less.

Any more opinions?
Old 10-03-2003, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

i was searching for my trade a tacoma for a jeep post and didnt realize monty was still hosting these pics for me. i love my leer, here is two pics. todays version is the 160xl, it doesnt have buttons on the glass.
http://jakehurley.tripod.com/photoalbum/id1.html

edit, sorry chris i didnt even read tehe new posts before posting. here is another opinion: #1 hands down snug top #2 leer or ARE, just my .02. i have always ran leers, the local leer guy gives me good deals....

Last edited by its2slo; 10-03-2003 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:17 AM

Stockland camper shell

Originally Posted by BajaTaco
BUMP

I'm about to drop some serious $$ on a SnugTop based on how happy SteveS has been with his. Anyone else running ST and want to comment? My shell is an old Stockland (now outof business, wonder why?) and leaks terribly now (always did leak, but not THIS bad). Anyone have a ST that has been on for 5 or more years?
I bought a Stockland camper shell in 2000. Last month a pallet of hay fell on the back glass window, shattering it. Went back to the dealer I bought the camper shell from and they told me Stockland was out of business. The owner, Frank Stockland, died several years back of cancer and the company eventually closed. Thereby, being told, no parts for my camper shell. Anyone have any suggestions for my camper shell?
Old 06-20-2009, 09:49 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Well no, but this is a 6 year old zombie thread..

Old 06-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

If it is just the back glass panel almost any auto glass place should be able to cut you a new piece of tempered glass to shape or you might try to make your own out of lexan. Same with the side panels. And this a way old thread to revive lol...
oldie but a goodie...
Old 02-14-2010, 12:09 PM

Exclamation Warning do not buy a snugtop!!!!!

I have owned a Snugtop for three years. Nothing but leak after leak. Snugtop customer service is the worst I have ever seen. I called and attempted to talk to the customer service manager Servano Gonzalas. He was rude. He was very aggressive. He actually said to me "whatever you are about to spout off is not going to make any difference". This is their customer service manager. He also challanged me to show him in the warranty where it said they are garanteed not to leak. The are weather resistant not weather proof. That leaves it wide open for them to not deal with any leaks. They keep blaiming the truck. 06 Toyota Quad Cab. Truck bed has no leaking problems. Servano said Toyota would never admit the problem is with the truck. There claim to fame is every top is engineered for your truck. How then can it be the truck. If you looking for a top to keep your gear dry the Snugtop cabhigh is not it. All the windows leak, Western Rep. for Snugtop Lon admitted to me the windows are not designed to be used slanted in as in this application. They should be used in a straight up and down application. My top has been returned to the installer 15 times for leak repair. Not small leaks. Water pouring in around the window seal when sitting in the driveway. Pretty sad, a company selling tops in Washington state named Snugtop that can't keep your gear dry. What's the point of the top. Black plactic bags are much cheaper. Another issue is the pop out lock unit. Any times it freezes. The lock freezes in the down position. It won't pop up so you can't open the back door. Snugtops remedy is to leave your top unlocked during freezing conditions. Again whats the point of the shell. I bought this shell to protect my gear from the weather and to make it harder than just reaching in the bed to take my gear. My poor dog gets soaked back there. I have to let him ride in the cab with us. He is a big boy and would be better off with more space in the back.
I'm still fighting with them. I have a meeting next week with Toyota and the installer. Hope they can put pressure on Sungtop. Snugtop has really been of no help so far. I would never buy another product from them.

Last edited by Mad Bob; 02-14-2010 at 08:46 PM.