Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 10:31 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Which Company makes better camper shell?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Company makes better camper shell?

What company makes the best camper shells?
Old 09-26-2003, 04:21 AM

I am running with a ARE shell on my 2001 Tacoma now. Had a Leer on my 96 before. Stay FAR away from Leer.

The paint didn't match when I got it. Wasn't even close picking out a shade close to what my truck looked like.

The thing leaked like nothing I have ever seen. MUCH silicon around the windows.

Paint began to flake and I took it back for warranty service. It was gone 6 weeks. When it came back, I took my fingernail and walked down the side flaking paint off in front of the manager. Off it came and gone for ANOTHER 6 weeks!

By contrast, the ARE shell has been excellent! Paint match was perfect. No leaks, no trouble, excellent quality. Very recommended.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:25 AM
Contributing Member

We have an ARE on our DoubleCab and it looks great. ARE is the way to go in my opinion.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:37 AM
Contributing Member

I have a Mirage camper shell on my 1978 F-250. I bought the shell about 3 years ago, and it looks great.

I had a gem top on my 1994 Ranger. I bought it used. DON'T buy that brand. It leaked, the paint was poor quality. The side windows were GLUED in, the rear window hinge was garbage. I only had it for a year then sold the shell.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

I have an ARE MX series, it was pricey but I love it. It looks great, paint matches, the little skylight is cool, LED brakelight is cool. The only complaint is the dome light is a 3V light powered by C cell batteries. I would rather have a 12V light wired up to truck power somehow. But you could make arguments either way.
PS - the dark window tint is great.

Last edited by ewarnerusa; 09-26-2003 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:15 AM

I wanted a shell to put a rack on, so it was a Snug Top for me.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

BUMP

I'm about to drop some serious $$ on a SnugTop based on how happy SteveS has been with his. Anyone else running ST and want to comment? My shell is an old Stockland (now outof business, wonder why?) and leaks terribly now (always did leak, but not THIS bad). Anyone have a ST that has been on for 5 or more years?
Old 09-26-2003, 06:20 PM

For something a little different you might check out Can-Back, http://www.can-back.com/ . Very flexible, have only heard good things about it. I don't have one yet, but will most likely get one...along with everything else I want...someday!
Old 09-26-2003, 10:10 PM
Banned

I have a Toyota shell on mine, came with the truck when it was new (yes I know they all came that way). My buddy put a snug top on his 98 Taco'... he loves it! I like it too, except it's purple And it's air tight, we went on some really dusty roads and through rain and snow... nary a leak! Good things those Snuggy Tops!
Old 09-27-2003, 01:49 AM
Contributing Member

I had a Leer on my '95 Taco. I got it a week after I got the Taco and it was still looking brand new when I traded it in 5 years later on my 2000 Runner. I never had any problems with it. The color matched perfectly and it never leaked or rattled. So I have nothing bad to say about them.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:54 AM

Originally posted by ewarnerusa
I have an ARE MX series,

>>The only complaint is the dome light is a 3V light powered by C cell batteries. I would rather have a 12V light wired up to truck power somehow.
I had the exact same shell (same color too) on my old '92 and loved it. I highly recommend the ARE shells. I had it for many years and never had a problem. The sky light in the front is really nice as it helps add light.

Ewarnerusa - I wired my dome light to the parking lights. That way I never had to worry about the battery running out Use trailer quick connects for the dome & 3rd brake light so it is really easy to take the shell on and off when needed.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an ARE on my 96 Dodge Dakota. It was top-notch quality. I've heard Leers suck from a few folks.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Hermes
Ewarnerusa - I wired my dome light to the parking lights. That way I never had to worry about the battery running out Use trailer quick connects for the dome & 3rd brake light so it is really easy to take the shell on and off when needed.
Can you describe in a little more detail what you did? I started a thread about this, actually. I got a good idea on some LED 12V replacement dome lights, but they are pricey. So did you swap out your 3V assembly for a 12V one, and then wire them up to the parking lights? Did the dome only function if you had the parking lights on? I have quick disconnects already for the brake light. If you remember what you did, could you describe it to me in detail? Thanks!!!
Old 09-27-2003, 02:14 PM

Does any one have recomendations for a 2nd Gen pickup? I might be getting a new paint job in october, and I want to get a topper to smooth out the ride. Going with a used one is an option. What should I look for and what price can I expect to pay?
Old 09-27-2003, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My cab high ARE in custom paint and dark tinted glass was around $950 (7 years ago... ) This was on a 6.5' bed on an extra cab Dakota.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:02 AM

So did you swap out your 3V assembly for a 12V one, and then wire them up to the parking lights? Did the dome only function if you had the parking lights on? I have quick disconnects already for the brake light. If you remember what you did, could you describe it to me in detail? Thanks!!!
It was many moons ago so I don't remember all the details. I had a look to see if I had any info but I gave everything to the guy who bought the truck from me.

I'm pretty sure it was a 12v light assembly as all I had to do was tap the power to the parking lights much like you would to install a set of fog lights (that's how I powered my Hella POS fogs for the 4Runner). I don't remember it being expensive, but like I said, this was years ago. I still had the on/off switch for the light in the shell, but it would only receive power if the parking lights were on. I'm sure you can wire directly to the battery but this is a safer way as there is less chance of draining the battery if you accicently leave the light on.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Hermes
It was many moons ago so I don't remember all the details. I had a look to see if I had any info but I gave everything to the guy who bought the truck from me.

I'm pretty sure it was a 12v light assembly as all I had to do was tap the power to the parking lights much like you would to install a set of fog lights (that's how I powered my Hella POS fogs for the 4Runner). I don't remember it being expensive, but like I said, this was years ago. I still had the on/off switch for the light in the shell, but it would only receive power if the parking lights were on. I'm sure you can wire directly to the battery but this is a safer way as there is less chance of draining the battery if you accicently leave the light on.

Hope that helps.
Thanks. I would have to buy a 12V dome light to wire up, and I'm not that motivated about it yet. Just curious, what happened with your Hella lights to make you hate them so much?
Old 09-28-2003, 12:44 PM

I have a Century cap on back. Color is just a tad darker than the truck...not very noticeable, though. Due to the harsh sun here in AZ, the paint on top is history and one of the side windows is stuck because the warped window runners. Yeah, I'm not too happy w/ the battery operated light system. My battery corroded and I think its stuck.
Truck
Old 09-28-2003, 02:59 PM

Camper Shell or Cap

If you want a good deal try looking into Vision; they make a Cap that is about half of what you would spend on a others.

In California there is a place called Lake Perris Shell Center, (909) 943-1566, I paid 754.25 for my Cap back in 04/2002 installed. The Cap matched my Truck paint and tented windows, which I have not seen done very well.

This however was excellent and recommend the Cap called "Vision", manufactured in 7042 Santa Fe East, Hesperia, CA 92345, (760) 244-5229 or (877) 434-2374.

Others I have looked into are the Roll Tops, Hard Top Lids, Shells and all were twice what I paid for my Cap. Do some shopping around, you will find the deal just got to look for it.
-Mike

http://www.inspectorgadgets.com
Old 09-28-2003, 04:29 PM

Thanks. I would have to buy a 12V dome light to wire up, and I'm not that motivated about it yet. Just curious, what happened with your Hella lights to make you hate them so much?
They are junk. The quality is very poor and the company doesn't stand behind their products. My avatar shows one of my badly corroded lights.

Do a search on this board or ODW for "Micro DE" or "factory fogs" to learn about crap Hella sells now. They used to be a reputable company.

I really should change my avatar, but I’ve been too lazy and don’t spend too much time on the boards anymore.

Good luck with you lighting project

Quick Reply: Which Company makes better camper shell?